Quantcast

Advice on P-X frames

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Hey guys,

So I'm going to finally get a 'real' trials bike instead of a FR HT. I'm planning on using most of the same components that are on my FR HT with a few changes.

'02 DJ1 reduced to 4" travel
road cassette (12-23 or 25, suggestions?)
bashguard and a 22t? what kind of bashguard? I can easily make an Evil ripoff
what kind of stem? (rise, length etc.)

I'm planning on getting a Zebdi. What are the differences in the models (Mark 4, 5, 6)? Does the frame work with an 8" rotor? I doubt it with 15.5" CS.

Thanks guys. Oh, and any links to some good trials forums where I might have some questions answered?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'm not too much of a trials guy, but the DJ fork and Zebdi frame combo sounds pretty heavy. If you're smooth or not too heavy yourself I'd suggest going with something lighter.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
The zebdi is at most 4.5 lbs, and the DJ is what I have around. I'll probably get a rigid when I get smoother.

What other "light" frames would you suggest?

unusualpunk

Chimp
Dec 21, 2003
at your girlfriends house
Matt D said:
The zebdi is at most 4.5 lbs, and the DJ is what I have around. I'll probably get a rigid when I get smoother.

What other "light" frames would you suggest?

if i were you, i would go with an marzocchi mx comp 85mm. it is much lighter, and will take a beating. i use one on my urban rig.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
DON'T USE A SUSPENSION FORK!!! There is no point. its just extra weight. save the money that you'll spend to reduce the travel and buy a surly 1x1. it will save you at least 3 pounds and it will make the zebdi ride much nicer. as for an 8" rotor on the back, I know a 7" is doable, not sure about 8" on though. I know a guy with magura louise fr (180mm rotors) but honestly, I'd just go with v-brakes. rim brakes are much more reliable than running a big rotor on the back, it will save your frame. other than that, I'd say run an ultegra 11-23, and use only 6 or 7 of the 9 cogs. it will save weight, and there's no point to run a 22 up front and anything bigger than a 23 in the back. I'm running a 12,15,16,17,19,21 and i love it. but that's just my opinion.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
I second the motion for a rigid fork. It will hurt at first, but it will make you smoother *much* faster. Honestly, my riding progressed more the week after I went to a rigid fork then it did in the two months prior.

Makes a huge difference - cant overstate that.

I'm always a little if-y on trials bikes with disk brakes. Its probably not a big deal if your just learning, but the possibility of a broken frame is something to be avoided at all costs in my opinion. Also, having a rotor on the back of your bike to land on is not a good thing either.

Buy some v-brakes and a booster. Lighter (probably), and easily as powerful with a clean rim and good pads.

There are several companies that make trials bashguards. Truvative makes one, so does threshold (and a couple others I cant remember now) in the four bolt 22tooth max form.

Jonathan

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Thanks guys.

The main reason I'll be putting on a DJ1 is because I already have it and the 4" springs, so it will cost nothing. I'll definitely check into a rigid fork soon though. Same thing with the disc brakes; I've got them already. If I can't run an 8" on the rear, I'll probably take your advice and get some V-brakes. Any recommendation on sticky pads to use?

As for cranks, I can use a triple with a 22t and bashguard on the outside right?

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Matt D said:
Thanks guys.

The main reason I'll be putting on a DJ1 is because I already have it and the 4" springs, so it will cost nothing. I'll definitely check into a rigid fork soon though. Same thing with the disc brakes; I've got them already. If I can't run an 8" on the rear, I'll probably take your advice and get some V-brakes. Any recommendation on sticky pads to use?

As for cranks, I can use a triple with a 22t and bashguard on the outside right?
I think that once you get the rigid fork and compare it to the DJ1, you will never go back to the DJ.

As far as pads: plazmatic makes some good trials specific vbrake pads.
If you plan on grinding your rim, use the plazmatic Fly V pads, and if not the standard plazmatics would probably be a good choice.

As a disclaimer: I havent used either of these sets of pads extensively, but from what I have heard they work well except in wet conditions. Also, it should be noted that I use Koolstop sticky pads in the front (the red and black ones) and they work great. Im not sure if they would work well on the back, though.

It should be no big deal to put the 22t on along with a bashguard. You can use any size bashring, but the trials specific ones give you a little more clearance and tend to be a little thicker.

Jonathan

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Great, thanks a lot Chutney!

My roommate may have some old XT V-brakes I can use for the time being. I'm still waiting on an email back from PX about color availability, right now they only have the Jamaican, which is not exactly my first choice.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Matt D said:
Great, thanks a lot Chutney!

My roommate may have some old XT V-brakes I can use for the time being. I'm still waiting on an email back from PX about color availability, right now they only have the Jamaican, which is not exactly my first choice.

Just FYI, XT V-Brakes devolope a lot of slop pretty quickly when used in a trials context because of all the extra joints in the Parrallel push linkage. Just dont use them for too long, or your gonna lose power.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Thanks again Chutney

Do you agree that the Zebdi is a good choice? I've read it's more of a cross-over trials bike, and it's obviously not a purebred. But that's what I'm looking for; I've always ridden mtn bikes and I think it would be perfect for me. What do you think?

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
I would say that the Zebdi is a very good bike to get a better feel for trials. As you progress more into trials you may feel the need to get a longer more competition friendly bike. If you are doing urban trials mostly you will find the zebdi to be a good fit.

It also depends on your height, and weight. If you are taller then say 6'1 or 6'2 you will more then likely feel pretty cramped on a zebdi.

Also, a good thing to keep in mind is that older Zebdis have been notorious for cracking around the BB area. Probably not a big deal unless you are very heavy or obscenely abusive, but something to think about if you were planning on buying it used (which it doesnt sound like you were planning on anyway, but important nonetheless).

If you dont mind riding used frames, look at the Echo Urban or older ESR frames. They are roughly the Echo equivalent of the Zebdi, and can take quite a serious beating. Almost always someone selling them used on one of the trials forums.

Jonathan

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Well I heard back from PX about color options, and the only thing left is the Jamaican. And that's it because they won't be producing any more in the near future.

They do have the Tibo in stock, and while browsing for specs I came across this page.
http://www.thetrialsinshop.com/planetx.htm

It also has a new (to me) frame called the Ghost. This seems to sort of fit the Zebdi's place, but a little more freeride HT oriented (1" longer TT, 15.75" CS).

So do you think the Tibo would be a good way to go? He also mentioned the new Ali B. frame which is based on the Tibo. Does anyone have any information on geometry specs for the Ali B? I'm emailing PX for it now.

After some thought, I think it may be better to get a real trials frame (and probably pony up for the rigid fork, suggestions?).

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Matt D said:
Well I heard back from PX about color options, and the only thing left is the Jamaican. And that's it because they won't be producing any more in the near future.

They do have the Tibo in stock, and while browsing for specs I came across this page.
http://www.thetrialsinshop.com/planetx.htm

It also has a new (to me) frame called the Ghost. This seems to sort of fit the Zebdi's place, but a little more freeride HT oriented (1" longer TT, 15.75" CS).

So do you think the Tibo would be a good way to go? He also mentioned the new Ali B. frame which is based on the Tibo. Does anyone have any information on geometry specs for the Ali B? I'm emailing PX for it now.

After some thought, I think it may be better to get a real trials frame (and probably pony up for the rigid fork, suggestions?).

Between the ghost and the Tibo I would definitely choose the Tibo. Never heard of the Ali B, so I cant comment on it. The Tibo is gonna be a little more competition trials oriented then the Zebdi would be. This means it will be longer, feel wierder at first, and be a little harder to do urban stuff. With the Tibo, it would be TERRIBLE to have any kind of suspension fork on it. It was built, to my understanding anyway, around only short rigid forks.

Good forks would be PX Kniffen or Kniffen light. Between the two I would go for the light. It costs a little more, but contrary to what the name says, the Kniffen light is pretty heavy for a trials fork, and is practically indestructable. Another good option would be the Echo Urban fork. These are Good forks that might be a little heavy for competition use, but will more then likely be trouble free.

Jonathan

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i think you should buy my Zebdi MK5 that is in stellar condition, white, that comes with Vs, a Kniffen, Salsa booster, stem, headset, a front wheel if you want it...

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
It's been busy around here lately, so I just got around to ordering the last of the parts (front disc adapter, disc F&R). I also have to fabricate a bashring, which will only take an hour or two but I need to find the time. Can't wait to ride it!

DH this weekend though, been a while since I rode that bike too!