Quantcast

advice please

GaryA

Chimp
Mar 10, 2010
hiya all, im a noob to this.

im looking to get an entry level bike to do trails such as glentrees, innerleithen, fort william.

im unsure of what to get or look for? my budget isnt that great either :(

any help would be greatly appreciated

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Even though there are amazing used deals, if you're totally new and don't have a ton of friends to show you the ropes, you might be better off buying new so that you have shop support, and manufacturer support. It is easy to get in over your head when you're trying to figure out how to maintain finicky mountain bike equip. Also, buying from a larger company makes information and warranties much easier.

I think for someone new to DH that isn't totally sold on getting into the racing aspect, a 7" bike like the Norco shore, Giant Faith, Spec Demo7 or SX Trail.

I'd look around for a deal on a new 2009 bike, so that you still get a great warranty, but don't get stung by the cost of buying a new, hot 2010 bike. You could probably score a 2009 Norco Atomik (which has great geo) for around 2,000 USD. The Norco shores also get blown out cheap end of season as well. Norco, Giant, Specialized all make great gravity bikes for cheap and all have great warranty service.

If you're like everyone on here and gotta have the 2010 steez and want a full race bike, the Norco Atomik, the Glory 1 and the Demo8 I are all totally ready to go. Not sure about UK pricing, but for a north american, I'd recommend one of these: Varying price levels, but all quite affordable. May want to upgrade the fork on the Atomik after a year.

These are like $2500 USD.
http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/dh-race-park/atomik/

Last edited: