Quantcast

Advisors, advise me!

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I have a spare 400€ to spend (kind of: my missus will kill me when she finds out).

Do I buy:

a) A Tokina 10-17 fisheye
b) A Sigma 24-70 2.8 replacement for my kit lens
c) A set of PocketWizards and 2x cheap flashes

It really is between a) & c) as I already have a 18-55 kit lens (ok, so it's pretty crap, but I still have it - a replacement for it is more a luxury).

It is a hard decision. I want to get into off-camera lighting, but those fisheyes also look so damn cool.

I should point out that I will probably end up getting all of these at some stage (hopefully before summer), but what to get first?

:bonk:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yes, thats what I think too. Then at least the costly triggers are done and out of the way.

However, then I am left using the off-camera strobes to light with 2 lenses: a 70-200 f2.8 (too long for strobes?) or a kit 18-55 f5.6 (or whatever the kit lens is).

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Actually, Fraser: Can I get away with only buying 2 transceivers and 1 flash, then getting a third transceiver for a second flash at a later date? Or do you think there is good reason to get the 3 now so I can use 2 flashes straight away...?

Then: What cheap flashes would you recommend? I am led to believe that even though I have a Canon camera, I can use any flash on the PWs (ie Nikons/Vivitars etc would work fine off camera, but not on)

Last: how much on-camera flash do you actually use?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i like my Tokina 10-17. i got it as a gift, but i shoulda asked for more flashes and more cyber syncs.

yes, you can use any flash make with the PW's or any other off camera trigger. Vivitar makes some pretty nice and cheap flashes too

if youre looking at PW's check into Alien Bee's new system. it allows for full control over the flashes and the transmitter is the same price as the PW's but the receiver is much cheaper
http://www.alienbees.com/cybersyncplus.html

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
You would use the fisheye once or twice when you first got it and then you would use it once every great while. Not worth the money.
Like Fraser said, always flash. Especially pocketwizards.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I've since been looking at the Elinchrom EL Skyport system. I can basically get 1x transmitter and 2x receivers for the price of 1x PW. The range isn't as great (400ft), but the system gets pretty good reviews. And who really needs a range of 1600ft?

I need to keep reminding myself that 1) I am not a pro needing top equipment and 2) I am not rich. :)

Those pics are pretty cool IH8Rice. I am thinking a fishy could be just as useful as my 70-200, but can wait a little while longer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'd go for glass, but then again i've been shooting for ~3 years w/o using much flash at all...i guess it depends on what you like to shoot.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Fisheyes are specialty lenses. If you shoot skate fulltime, you'll need one. If you shoot real estate staging shots, you'll need a corrected fisheye. Otherwise, it's pretty hit or miss. I have one, but I do not frequently use it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I have the Cybersyncs, and they work great.

Unless you need more than 300 feet of distance, I don't see any advantage to a PW, considering the price differential.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have the Cybersyncs, and they work great.

Unless you need more than 300 feet of distance, I don't see any advantage to a PW, considering the price differential.
i agree. im waiting for Alien Bee's new system to come out then sell my Cyber Syncs

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Would you choose CyberSyncs over Skyports?

They look (aesthetically at least) a little better, but I can't get my head around their shiite website. If I am using a Canon Rebel with whatever flashes I end up buying (any brand will work, right?) and want to use them outdoors, then what combo do I need to get?

I basically wanted to get the CyberSyncs first, but the lack of information on their site turned me away towards the Skyports.

And ricey: what is the new system?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Alright, after going through their (AB's) website, I have concluded I would need the CST trigger and 2x CSRB receivers for a grand total of $200USD. Correct?

or

Elinchrom's EL Skyports Universal set of 1x transmitter & 2x receivers for a total of $276USD.

Elinchrom comes with all the cables and are Swiss made (hey, I live on their border!), but the ABs look tidier and more robust, are cheaper, but I have no idea what cables I'd need to get and from where.

I think its a personal choice when it comes to these two sets, but any advice is cool.

So. What I don't really get, which you guys could help me with, is the flashes themselves. Do I need to buy flashes that have PC or other jacks on them? Can I get the cheaper old flashes (ie Canon/Nikon/Sigma/whatever branded flashes designed for older film cameras)?

I'd like to get one flash that can be used on-camera, but the secondary flash could be anything, right?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You need as many receivers as you have off camera flashes (unless you're planning on using optical slaves triggering off of the flash that is radio slaved.)

If you're only using one flash off camera, then you only need on receiver. The Cybersync transmitter comes with a cable that lets you sync it to a PC port (so, for example, you can use a flash on the camera and still trigger a remote at the same time) and the receivers come with PC port cables and also the sync jack cables that White Lightnings and Alien Bees use (they look like the large headphone connectors.)

For the flashes, the off camera can be pretty much...anything. You may have to get a pc port shoe from Flashzebra (SB-600, or the low end Canon flash) or a different cable if you go with a Vivitar.

On camera is the same story. Do you want to have TTL or are you only interested in manual control?

Also, what kind of bodies are you using? Nikon bodies (anything besides a D40, D50, or D60) have CLS commanders built in that fire Nikon remotes (SB-600, 800, or 900s) using the onboard flash. They work brilliantly indoors, and outdoors are pretty good up to 30 feet or so.

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Cheers Silver. I understand the trigger system, just just which flashes could be used with either of them or which one to get (CS or AB).

I am using Canon, but don't care what brand the flashes are. I'm looking at a 2 remote flash setup, so thought it would make sense if at least one of them could also work on the camera. The other would ideally be a non-bank-breaker (ie I was bidding on an old Sigma film flash which I lost overnight by 50cents - it sold for 12.50 euros, I am also looking at 2x Sunpak 888 AFZ TTL for Nikon for 50 euros the pair)

As for the use of them, I'm just planning on heading out there with some friends and playing. Something will work eventually. :)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Cheers Silver. I understand the trigger system, just just which flashes could be used with either of them or which one to get (CS or AB).

I am using Canon, but don't care what brand the flashes are. I'm looking at a 2 remote flash setup, so thought it would make sense if at least one of them could also work on the camera. The other would ideally be a non-bank-breaker (ie I was bidding on an old Sigma film flash which I lost overnight by 50cents - it sold for 12.50 euros, I am also looking at 2x Sunpak 888 AFZ TTL for Nikon for 50 euros the pair)

As for the use of them, I'm just planning on heading out there with some friends and playing. Something will work eventually. :)
Keep in mind that you're going to need a Canon (or maybe a Sigma?) recent model flash if you want TTL for the on camera. Canon's TTL isn't that great, but that's another story...

Also, keep in mind that with older flashes you have to watch out that the trigger voltage isn't too high if you want to use it on camera. I can't comment on the Sunpak, I've never seen or used one.

edit: Keep in mind I shouldn't have had that bottle of Duvel before making the post. Keep in mind I'm prone to repeating myself somewhat...

Last edited:

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I have a 580EX and a 430EX flash from Canon. The 580 can be used as a master, controlling the 430, so I would only need 1 remote to trigger the 580. The 580 can also be used as a slave.

I would go with a 580EX, which is slightly cheaper than a 580EX II, and a transmitter and receiver along with as many 430EX units you can afford.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Righty-o.

I have won (?) on ebay 2x Vivitar 283 flashes.

I am about to order the Alien Bee CyberSync system (1x trigger + 2x receivers).

Then I plan to order 2x hotshoe to CyberSync adapters from FlashZebra.com.

Then I plan to get two of those 'Gorilla-grip' tripod thingys from ebay.

Sounds about right?