Quantcast

adware???

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
hey guys im not the most comp. savy guy and my g/f's comp has no protection (subscription to mcafee expired) and i think there is adware or spyware on it....there are so many popups you can barley surf the net...

if i renue her old protection will that do??...

will it find the virus or whatever is on here or will it just protect it from getting a new one???

any advise would be great...one of my friends does this for a living but i havent talked to him in a few months and i would feel bad calling him for computer advise out of the blue...

thanks

edit: guess i should have put this in the tech forum...mods feel free to move it

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
thats what my comp is for^^^^merry xmas...chris..u should be proud of me im partaking in your fav. activity...alcohol

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
For spyware get Spybot, Ad-aware and/or Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta. Unfortunately for a badly infected system it may be impossible to download and install any of these. It may be time to blow away the partition and start over with a fresh windows install.

Mike

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Dartman said:
For spyware get Spybot, Ad-aware and/or Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta. Unfortunately for a badly infected system it may be impossible to download and install any of these. It may be time to blow away the partition and start over with a fresh windows install.

Mike
Mike neglects to mention that the above softwares are free and do not require a subsciption. Also, switch to Firefox browser.

gg

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
geargrrl said:
Mike neglects to mention that the above softwares are free and do not require a subsciption. Also, switch to Firefox browser.

gg
how do i do that??

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
wydopen said:
thanks works way better now...u guys are the sh*t
you may want to run spybot more than once just to make sure you've got everything; immunize and keep it updated, and then be sure to run it about once a week after that.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Dartman said:

Mike
Ditto. It sounds like you could be looking at hours of cleanup, however with your experience, it might be beyond repair (dont take that the wrong way).

Reloading the OS on a new partition is always easier and faster.

Depending on what Anti-Virus solution you have, or want to re-issue, that still might not fix the problem. Some Anti-Virus solutions, are just Anti Virus only...however others do have built in spam and adware blockers.

Spybot is the best, I have found. Microsofts version is also very good. HiJack this is also another good one, that usually finds stuff for me, that the first 2 dont.