Quantcast

Aerobic Base Training - Waste of time for DH/ 4X?

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
I'm about to slaughter a huge sacred cow, and I do not expect for everyone to be happy about it. However, just remember that it is alright to be honestly mistaken. However, when presented with the truth you can either stop being mistaken or stop being honest...

For many years MTB riders have began their off season with an aerobic base period where they will spend 4-6 weeks riding easy and moderately easy miles on their bikes. The theory behind this strategy is based in Western Linear Periodization, or the idea of working on aerobic fitness, muscle strength and muscle power in distinct “periods” usually lasting 4-6 weeks apiece. While revolutionary when introduced, this concept has proven to be inconsistent in the real world and other periodization models have been introduced that are far more effective and consistent at delivering results.

With that said, I want to focus on the use of the aerobic base period. The reasoning for the aerobic base period is that if you build your aerobic fitness up then it will help your general fitness and stamina in the rest of your training periods. While this may seem logical at first, a closer look at how exactly the body reacts to this aerobic exercise coupled with new understandings of the human body suggest that this may be a misplaced effort.

Your body responds very specifically to how you train it – lift heavy weights and you get stronger, for example. Your body’s response to aerobic training has two main drawbacks for us as DH/ 4X racers.

First, you will loose muscle mass and the muscle that you have will become weaker and less powerful. Aerobic exercised by nature is catabolic and it burns muscle as well as fat. Any lose of muscle mass is a step backwards for us as this muscle mass is what we need to power our efforts. On top of this, science has shown that when exposed to low intensity, endurance based activities some of your precious fast twitch muscle fibers (the ones we need the most) will “shift” and start to act like slow twitch muscle fibers. Aerobics will effectively rob you of some of your most important asset on the DH/ 4X course – strong, powerful muscles.

Second, your body will adapt by becoming more metabolically efficient at aerobic exercise, mainly by becoming more efficient at burning fat for fuel. DH/ 4X racing is not aerobic by nature, it is anaerobic by nature. This means that we do not want to be efficient at burning fat for fuel; we want to be efficient at replenishing ATP, burning glycogen (muscle sugar) and clearing out the metabolic byproducts of this process, also known as anaerobic endurance. This is our limiting factor as DH/ 4X athletes, not our ability to use fat for fuel. Strengthening your aerobic metabolism will not help strengthen our anaerobic metabolism, making time spent in this effort misguided.

So, in essence, aerobic base training will make you a weaker, slower, less metabolically efficient athlete – hardly a step in the right direction to start off season training. The reason that athletes swear by this is because even aerobic base training will keep them in better shape than those that do nothing for that same time period. It also keeps them from jumping into hard core MTB specific work too soon, avoiding the burnout riders that get too intense too soon experience. So, aerobic base training is better than nothing but hardly the best that we can do as MTB athletes when looking at everything science and logic has to say about the subject.

We MUST realize that we are unique athletes and stop looking to other sports for our training strategies. Road riding and antiquated training concepts have very little to offer us and the sooner that we realize this, the sooner we can take our sport to the next level.

Your time would be better spent re-establishing body control (bodyweight emphasis workouts), working on mobility, and starting to work on or maintaining general anaerobic strength/ power endurance as these are all things that we must have as DH/ 4X athletes. Using low intensity, aerobic activities as a form of active recovery is fine, just keep the intensity very low (60% of estimated max heart rate) and the time short (20-30 min.) a few times per week. When used this way we can still get the benefits of aerobic training while minimizing the negative impact it can have.

Note: Intervals are not aerobic base training. Aerobic base training is reeling off countless miles at a low intensity (usually at or below 70% of max heart rate) for long periods of time (45-60+ minutes). Intervals are different and are not aerobic by nature and in fact have a very important place in out training programs.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
How about aerobic training for weight control? Obviously coming out of a 4x gate with 15 extra pounds around the waistline isn't going to help anything. For riders who need to drop some pounds in the off season what would you suggest?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
What are you selling, again?

You have a bunch of great info, but your method of delivery is ultra annoying. I don't think I've got through one of your posts without getting a "holier than thou" vibe...maybe its just me...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm about to slaughter a huge sacred cow, and I do not expect for everyone to be happy about it. However, just remember that it is alright to be honestly mistaken. However, when presented with the truth you can either stop being mistaken or stop being honest...

We MUST realize that we are unique athletes and stop looking to other sports for our training strategies. Road riding and antiquated training concepts have very little to offer us and the sooner that we realize this, the sooner we can take our sport to the next level.

Your time would be better spent re-establishing body control (bodyweight emphasis workouts), working on mobility, and starting to work on or maintaining general anaerobic strength/ power endurance as these are all things that we must have as DH/ 4X athletes. Using low intensity, aerobic activities as a form of active recovery is fine, just keep the intensity very low (60% of estimated max heart rate) and the time short (20-30 min.) a few times per week. When used this way we can still get the benefits of aerobic training while minimizing the negative impact it can have.

Note: Intervals are not aerobic base training. Aerobic base training is reeling off countless miles at a low intensity (usually at or below 70% of max heart rate) for long periods of time (45-60+ minutes). Intervals are different and are not aerobic by nature and in fact have a very important place in out training programs.
I think you have some very interesting ideas. While you might sound like a snake oil salesman, I think your focus on high intensity workouts and strength training, and avoiding the "Long Steady Distance", aerobic rides, sounds sound.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
Aerobic fitness is an important factpr on a 4 minute downhill course. Intervals just won't cut it on a pedally DH course.
Another thing is that overall fitness helps make it through a 4 day long race weekend, especially if racing/practicing 2 classes without feeling beat by saturday/sunday

dondon

Monkey
Base training does have its place. There are plenty of DH specific training that comes in closer to the season, so dont worry about short twitch and glycogen..those issues will be taken care of later when traing shifts. The point of the base training when done right is to allow your body to maintain the fitness needed to complete a 5-6 month long season, the more preperation done early, the easier it is to maintain your fitness throughout the season. When travelling every week it is hard to maintain your fitness and you can often only fit in a few training rides. Those with a good base will have a better chance of hammering out 100% efforts late in the season at worlds and FInals. My non scientific 2c worth

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Base training is a LOAD of CRAP!! If it worked so well, the Aussies would be getting blown away and getting weaker every weekend. Instead they're down on the Gold Coast racing every weekend during our winter, pushing their aenorobic threshold to the max every week...and getting bigger, faster and better than all of us.

bikejames is telling the truth. Several years ago, Steve Peat had a 3rd degree separation the same as me and I emailed him to ask what his doc were having him do b/c he'd done his the week before mine. My doctors appointment was a long way off and I was wanting to start healing ASAP. He clued me into that stuff, but he also clued me in on his training off season.

The dude puts in a LOT of power stuff in his down time. He said nothing of road rides, endurance, base or fitness. His high dollar docs were pushing his power quotient in the off season.

I think those two things are the best evidence I can think of to back bikejames up with...real world proof.

Base is just a way to prevent burn out or getting fat if you're a pig like me eating Butterfingers all day and typing of the good old glory days. :D:D:D:D

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
If your not a "Master of Sports Sciences thru the ISSA" like James is. Or even a lic. trainer just someone who rides. I really don't care at what you have to say about training. Because really everything you have to say is hearsay, and has no fact behind it.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I agree with alot of what your saying but first you must seprate 4x and DH..........2 completely different animals. DH races you need train for a 4 minute effort and 4X a 30 second effort.....

The common man needs alot of base miles. Because most of do our mtb training by trail riding. This is how most riders build there mtb skill base.....and to be able to climb to good trails and ride them fast you have to be pretty aerobically fit. In the perfect world you wouldn't want to this, you would knock 6-8 DH runs per day like Nico used to do.....

As for you 3-8 rep deadlift sets and the kind of poundage you are talking.....to do that right your going to completely tear apart your body. Doing 3-8 reps sets will have you walking around like a zombie after a few weeks. Deadlift is good, but again, for the common every day DH'r it doesn't have to be near as intense as you're describing....

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
I agree with alot of what your saying but first you must seprate 4x and DH..........2 completely different animals. DH races you need train for a 4 minute effort and 4X a 30 second effort.....

The common man needs alot of base miles. Because most of do our mtb training by trail riding. This is how most riders build there mtb skill base.....and to be able to climb to good trails and ride them fast you have to be pretty aerobically fit. In the perfect world you wouldn't want to this, you would knock 6-8 DH runs per day like Nico used to do.....

As for you 3-8 rep deadlift sets and the kind of poundage you are talking.....to do that right your going to completely tear apart your body. Doing 3-8 reps sets will have you walking around like a zombie after a few weeks. Deadlift is good, but again, for the common every day DH'r it doesn't have to be near as intense as you're describing....

Refer to post #9!!!:banghead:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
If your not a "Master of Sports Sciences thru the ISSA" like James is. Or even a lic. trainer or just someone who rides. I really don't care at what you have to say about training. Because really everything you have to say is hearsay, and has no fact behind it.
"Pssstttt!"
Don't look now....but there's an elephant in the corner of the room.

Brother I read way more literature than I care to explain and have a great grasp of bikejames concepts. I'm not a trainer but if you have anything results oriented on the world scene that you'd like to present other than what I have, present it. Don't call me a bull****er. The elephant in the corner is standing on top of every DH podium in the world. bikejames is just presenting it in a textbook form for you guys. I was trying to present real world examples to back him.

Ask the Ausssies if they even own road bikes.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
"Pssstttt!"
Don't look now....but there's an elephant in the corner of the room.

Brother I read way more literature than I care to explain and have a great grasp of bikejames concepts. I'm not a trainer but if you have anything results oriented on the world scene that you'd like to present other than what I have, present it. Don't call me a bull****er. The elephant in the corner is standing on top of every DH podium in the world. bikejames is just presenting it in a textbook form for you guys. I was trying to present real world examples to back him.

Ask the Ausssies if they even own road bikes.
I wasn't talking to you. Sorry you took it that way!!

I'm totally behind James to. I've worked out for the past year using the usuall. Base/Bodybuilding/Road Riding Program. And really it did'nt do crap for me.

I've been on this guys program for 3 weeks and I already feel stronger on the bike. It's crazy!! I just don't like it when people who have no clue what they are talking about, give advise on training.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
In fairness to Can't Climb, he's reading bikejames posts as intending to knock out deadlifts more than say twice a week at heavy loads.

I don't believe I've read anywhere in bikejames posts where he has laid a detailed program with rest days, weight loads or set brackets to frame in his training regimen. I think the only clear way to understand his use of the power movements he refers to is to become his client.

He is intentionally leaving out the specific layout of his program so that he doesn't sell his business for free.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Another thing is that overall fitness helps make it through a 4 day long race weekend, especially if racing/practicing 2 classes without feeling beat by saturday/sunday
No kidding. DH racing is NOT really a 4 minute max effort. It's a 2+ day effort of moderate-pace practice with a few full speed runs.

Most people, who are not pros and have no chance of becoming one, should not be throwing out base and aerobic training. Also, if I didn't do aerobic work, I'd be 15 lbs heavier and probably a good amount stronger...but I don't know if I see that helping me on the course.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
In fairness to Can't Climb, he's reading bikejames posts as intending to knock out deadlifts more than say twice a week at heavy loads.

I don't believe I've read anywhere in bikejames posts where he has laid a detailed program with rest days, weight loads or set brackets to frame in his training regimen. I think the only clear way to understand his use of the power movements he refers to is to become his client.

He is intentionally leaving out the specific layout of his program so that he doesn't sell his business for free.
the tone of his blog postings have a pretty serious tone regarding the deadlift........he talks about goals of deadlifting twice your bodyweight and deadlifting every session (not sure how many sessions a week) but anything more than one is quite a load on an untrained back......maybe i am reading more into than what he would actaully prescribe.....

most riders would benefit from any kind of moderate deadlifting but i would really ease into it......its easy to injure your back and that can plague you for a lifetime....

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I wonder if all the people I used to beat (used too, cos now I'm a wussie) that were all really powerful and strong, AND better riders than me, that I shouldn't of been able to beat them. As I did no strength training, but I did lots of riding, was super fit and could do runs all day for 1 or 2 days in practice and still be completely fine come race day. When all their muscular strength but no base fitness, did lots of runs in practice and then blew up on raceday, cos they were shagged the next day.

Sure I got arm pump way more than those guys, but while they were blowing their ring out halfway down the track, I was still pedalling like super Mario Chipolini the whole way down and across the finish line. I made less mistakes, not cos I could hold the bars better or anything, but cos I wasn't blowing nutz like all the unfit, but really strong guys.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
How about aerobic training for weight control? Obviously coming out of a 4x gate with 15 extra pounds around the waistline isn't going to help anything. For riders who need to drop some pounds in the off season what would you suggest?
This is a common mistake - trying to make up for a bad diet with more work. If you need to watch your waistline, watch what you eat first. If you still need some help then sticking to the guidelines I laid out at the end of the post will still give you some fat loss (one of the benefits) while minimizing the drawbacks.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Aerobic fitness is an important factor on a 4-5 minute downhill course. Intervals just won't cut it on a pedally DH course.
Sorry, but you are wrong. Aerobic fitness (the kind you build from long duration, low intensity efforts) does not aid you in a race of only 4-5 minutes. A basic exercise physiology book will explain the differences in the energetic pathways and when they are dominant in an activity. Science has shown many times over that a high intensity effort for 4-5 minutes requires efficiency in a different energetic pathway than aerobic training does. This is not debatable, it is a fact (or as close as you can get in science).

Strengthening one pathway will not strengthen another pathway. You must train the pathway you need for your activity if you want to maximize your training time. I know this stuff flies in the face of everything most of you have heard before but the facts don't lie - aerobic fitness is not needed and perhaps detrimental to our efforts.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Increasing anaerobic endurance will do more for you than aerobic endurance will. It is more specific to our needs and won't cost us strength and power...

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Base training does have its place. There are plenty of DH specific training that comes in closer to the season, so dont worry about short twitch and glycogen..those issues will be taken care of later when traing shifts. The point of the base training when done right is to allow your body to maintain the fitness needed to complete a 5-6 month long season, the more preperation done early, the easier it is to maintain your fitness throughout the season. When travelling every week it is hard to maintain your fitness and you can often only fit in a few training rides. Those with a good base will have a better chance of hammering out 100% efforts late in the season at worlds and FInals. My non scientific 2c worth
First, logically speaking, why would you want to detrain your important qualities and then try and retrain, even increase, them later on? Wouldn't it make more sense to develop a strategy that allowed you to at least maintain these qualities, making it easier to build them up later?

Second, aerobic training does not even maintain you fitness levels in your most important qualities, make it a poor choice for maintaining DH/ 4X specific fitness.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006

First, I'm talking about DH/ 4X specific training, the kind you undertake when lining up on Sunday is the most important thing to you. The average MTB rider is not worried about maximizing their DH/ 4X potential, and if you are then you are no longer an average MTB rider.

Second, varying the load and style allows the deadlift to be performed safely multiple times in a week, although I usually only recommend once per week of the regular deadlift at the same intensity level. This will get your back and hips strong since more frequent exposure will lead to quicker technical mastery and faster strength gains than less frequent exposure will.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Wrong answer !!
No way in hell I am cutting on Nutella and baguette!

You re fired! :cheers:
Nutella and baguette...Mani, you sir are a French God.

-nate

Bikejames, I find your advice to be interesting and somewhat helpful, but are such detailed instructions appropriate for such a broad audience?

Your advice on weight loss is iffy...You need to kickstart your metabolism with aerobic exercise if you want to get anywhere in a timely fashion, not just eat better.

Aerobic exercise will help your average Expert/Sport class DHer any day of the week simply because of the metabolism and weight loss benefits. I'm willing to bet the Aussies trailride...

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006

In all fairness, I do offer a free sample program. And I'm pretty open with the advice...I don't recall plugging a single product or answering a questions with a simple "buy this to get the answers". I won't design a specific program for a specific person, but outside of that I'll answer any questions that people might have.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Sorry, but you are wrong. Aerobic fitness (the kind you build from long duration, low intensity efforts) does not aid you in a race of only 4-5 minutes. A basic exercise physiology book will explain the differences in the energetic pathways and when they are dominant in an activity. Science has shown many times over that a high intensity effort for 4-5 minutes requires efficiency in a different energetic pathway than aerobic training does. This is not debatable, it is a fact (or as close as you can get in science).

Strengthening one pathway will not strengthen another pathway. You must train the pathway you need for your activity if you want to maximize your training time. I know this stuff flies in the face of everything most of you have heard before but the facts don't lie - aerobic fitness is not needed and perhaps detrimental to our efforts.
What downhill races have you been doing that require only a single run in the weekend. If Dh racing was only 1 run with no practice allowed or needed, then yes, I would agree with you much more readily. but in the real world, when I go to downhill races. I spend at least 1 day doing runs all day, learning the track, sussing lines, doing the odd race pace run.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
No kidding. DH racing is NOT really a 4 minute max effort. It's a 2+ day effort of moderate-pace practice with a few full speed runs.

Most people, who are not pros and have no chance of becoming one, should not be throwing out base and aerobic training. Also, if I didn't do aerobic work, I'd be 15 lbs heavier and probably a good amount stronger...but I don't know if I see that helping me on the course.
Yes, DH racing is a 4 minute max effort. Nobody ever podiumed for having a bunch of great pactice runs. That 4 minutes is all that matters and anything that will get in the way of your absolutely best effort for those 4 minutes should be reevaluated.

Anyways, increased anaerobic endurance will help you maintain a more consistent effort. Maybe there is a reason that you only do a few full speed runs with a bunch of moderate ones - you probably don't have the anaerobic endurance to maintain more full efforts. More practice runs near race pace can't help but make you faster for those 4 minutes.

As for your weight concerns, don't eat so much or, if you were refering to adding muscle, don't train like a bodybuilder. You can gain significant amounts of strength without getting much heavier.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Aerobic exercise will help your average Expert/Sport class DHer any day of the week simply because of the metabolism and weight loss benefits. I'm willing to bet the Aussies trailride...
What are the metabolic benefits? It has been established that aerobic training does not aid in the strengthening of the energetic pathway we need most as Dh racers.

And aerobics for fat loss is a farce anyways...it makes you into a smaller, more efficient fat burning machine (meaning you burn fewer fat calories for the same effort), making it harder to sustain fat loss. Anaerobic work kicks aerobics butt when it comes to fat loss, but that's another subject entirely.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
What downhill races have you been doing that require only a single run in the weekend. If Dh racing was only 1 run with no practice allowed or needed, then yes, I would agree with you much more readily. but in the real world, when I go to downhill races. I spend at least 1 day doing runs all day, learning the track, sussing lines, doing the odd race pace run.
Please see reply #31 for my thoughts on this point...

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006

You practice all day before a race!!! DAM!!!

I prob. do 3 runs max, Mock race run, practice some sections. Helmet cam the course/some rock sec. Then go home. But I always know or see the course a week in advance.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
You practice all day before a race!!! DAM!!!

I prob. do 3 runs max, Mock race run, practice some sections. Helmet cam the course/some rock sec. Then go home. But I always know or see the course a week in advance.
Not everyone can afford to camp out at a race for a week before hand.
most of the races that I used to do, we'd get to see the course maybe thursday arvo, practice all day friday, race sat, then drink sat night.
I'd do generally 8 or so runs in practice. Some of that is siftage, as in pushing up do repeat sections.

As for jame's allusions to that and only that 4 minutes, most people can't rock up to a track, do 1 or 2 runs, get a track dialed in that time, and then only need to focus on that 1 run.
Most people need lots of runs to get a track dialed in. If they aren't fit enuff, they just aren't simply going to recover quickly enuff. You can be the quickest and most powerfully explosive person on the track, but that ain't gonna mean jack come race day when your rooted from the day before.

Peole keep alluding to the aussies and they fact they don't seem to train, or base train. While you guys are spending your winters in the gym, there down home in the summer, riding their bikes still, and racing.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Peole keep alluding to the aussies and they fact they don't seem to train, or base train. While you guys are spending your winters in the gym, there down home in the summer, riding their bikes still, and racing.
I'm pretty much an aussie then. Because there are no seasons where I am from. I'm pretty sure they ride and are in the gym.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Ya they are in the gym, but they are still riding.
The best thing for race fitness is not gymwork (although yes, big big help), but riding. go figure.
Why do you think all the southern hemispehere riders kick ass. Cos they ride and race all year round.

doc gravity

Monkey
Oct 25, 2004
highlands ranch, CO
What are the metabolic benefits? It has been established that aerobic training does not aid in the strengthening of the energetic pathway we need most as Dh racers.
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it seems as though you are advocating starting the on-bike component of your off-season work doing anerobic intervals. How do you factor periodization into this? I assume you must just adjust the timing-duration-intensity of the intervals, with the caveat that you begin to add in sprint work as you get closer to the start of the season. That is a long time training with only a single class of exercises. How much periodization can you accomplish within a single exercise category (i.e. anaerobic bicycle interval work), before your body adapts to that stimulus. It seems that many racers who have invested at least part of their offseason in a more traditional linear progression have had excellent results in developing both the endurance to complete multiple runs over the course of a race weekend, as well as developing the anaerobic systems we all acknowledge are key for both downhill and especially for 4X racing. scott

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it seems as though you are advocating starting the on-bike component of your off-season work doing anerobic intervals. How do you factor periodization into this? I assume you must just adjust the timing-duration-intensity of the intervals, with the caveat that you begin to add in sprint work as you get closer to the start of the season. That is a long time training with only a single class of exercises. How much periodization can you accomplish within a single exercise category (i.e. anaerobic bicycle interval work), before your body adapts to that stimulus. It seems that many racers who have invested at least part of their offseason in a more traditional linear progression have had excellent results in developing both the endurance to complete multiple runs over the course of a race weekend, as well as developing the anaerobic systems we all acknowledge are key for both downhill and especially for 4X racing. scott
Word
When ever I've tried to develop my sprint, and not had a base under me, it's gone much harder, and in the long run, the sprint, when I can get it to the level I need/want, it simply wasn't backed up by anything else. A few runs and that was me, toast.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
So what about doing stuff like hill sprints? I figure thats got to train the body HARD to push out maximum efforts over a short distance, similar to DH. Say, either running a big hill or on the road bike?