Quantcast

Afghanistan...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Don’t you be dissin‘ goldfish like that.
Parmesan is the best flavor.

Interesting to me that there are a few long time sober folks on here, but none that still attend AA. There are some truisms that have value, though.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Don’t you be dissin‘ goldfish like that.
Parmesan is the best flavor.

Interesting to me that there are a few long time sober folks on here, but none that still attend AA. There are some truisms that have value, though.
AA serverd it's purpose at the time. Was a good resource for figuring things out, but it wasn't a long term path for me. I occasionally run into some of my AA friends and they are still talking about drinking and recovery. I'd prefer to just not talk about it or think about it.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Coke almost killed me. I have no ideal how many Ronnie Reagan Contra funding pharmaceutical grade 8 balls I had snorted in a row but I know I hadn't eaten or slept in days maybe a week. My system was collapsing. something snapped me out of my stupor and I crawled to the kitchen. I couldn't stand up. I opened the pantry and used a broom to knock a box of instant breakfast to the floor. Found a half quart of milk in the fridge. Poured 4-5 packets of Instant Breakfast in shook it up and chugged it down then passed out. At least I didn't pull a Jimi Hendricks and choke on my own vomit. I went through 6 months of withdrawls. fucking pure hell. Alcohol was a piece of cake by comparison. I like being clean and still breathing

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I read a very interesting comment in the NYT from an Afghanistan vet. He said when they went out on a mission they used the Afghan troops as ‘window dressing’. They didn’t trust them at all, didn’t tell them where they were going until minutes before a mission after they’d taken phones away, never relied on them for anything important, sometimes didn’t even give them live ammo and basically treated them like total useless noobs.
So yeah. A well trained army indeed.

I read a very interesting comment in the NYT from an Afghanistan vet. He said when they went out on a mission they used the Afghan troops as ‘window dressing’. They didn’t trust them at all, didn’t tell them where they were going until minutes before a mission after they’d taken phones away, never relied on them for anything important, sometimes didn’t even give them live ammo and basically treated them like total useless noobs.
So yeah. A well trained army indeed.
Which is effectively how we treated Korean military staff when I was in the Army there in the Vietnam era...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
A second floor and they could have doubled that number.
I'd assumed that a second floor might have made that airplane a smoking hole, but after some back of the napkin math, it appears I'd be wrong.

Out of curiosity, I looked it up. According to Wikipedia, max cargo capacity of a C17A is 170,900 lbs. I feel it safe to assume that the average Afghan doesn't tip the scales of the FAA recognized 170lbs per person. So even if we guess that the average Afghan refuge weighs in at a svelte 130lbs, 130lbs x 640 = 83200lbs. Double that number and your still pretty well under max cargo. Wether or not you can balance all that weight properly may be a different matter.

#themoreyouknow
#coolstorybro

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
My biggest fear is that Biden may have handed ‘24 to the Republicans, who will try to create a conservative caliphate right here, at home.
Nah, as much as I dislike Biden, Ford's approval rating went up after pulling out of Vietnam and was one of his biggest accomplishments. I suspect the same will happen with Biden, just based on how things have been going.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so i've seen something going around twitter, apparently after trump's negotiations with the taliban (which did NOT include the afghan gov't which we propped up), the taliban apparently secretly negotiated with the afghan military to surrender as soon as the US pulled out. trying to find an accurate/reliable source on it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nah, as much as I dislike Biden, Ford's approval rating went up after pulling out of Vietnam and was one of his biggest accomplishments. I suspect the same will happen with Biden, just based on how things have been going.

But Viet Nam was highly unpopular and in the news every night. I'd bet a month ago most Americans probably didn't remember that we were even still in Afghanistan. A good 25% of the population hadn't even been born when we first invaded.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Hunh, whaddya know.

Some of the Republican House members who this week excoriated President Joe Biden's strategy to pull U.S. troops out of Afghanistan and evacuate Afghan civilians voted last month against legislation to speed up the visa application process for Afghan citizens.

The House overwhelmingly passed a bill to make it easier for Afghans who assisted the American military to relocate to the U.S. The Averting Loss of Life and Injury by Expediting SIVs Act (ALLIES) Act was approved by a 407-16 vote on July 22. The 16 "no" votes were all from Republicans.

These Republican House members voted against the bill:

Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona
Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado
Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama
Rep. Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee
Rep. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina
Rep. Bob Good of Virginia
Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia
Rep. Kevin Hern of Oklahoma
Rep. Jody Hice of Georgia
Rep. Thomas Massie of Kentucky
Rep. Barry Moore of Alabama
Rep. Scott Perry of Pennsylvania
Rep. Bill Posey of Florida
Rep. Matt Rosendale of Montana
Rep. Chip Roy of Texas

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hunh, whaddya know.

Some of the Republican House members who this week excoriated President Joe Biden's strategy to pull U.S. troops out of Afghanistan and evacuate Afghan civilians voted last month against legislation to speed up the visa application process for Afghan citizens.

The House overwhelmingly passed a bill to make it easier for Afghans who assisted the American military to relocate to the U.S. The Averting Loss of Life and Injury by Expediting SIVs Act (ALLIES) Act was approved by a 407-16 vote on July 22. The 16 "no" votes were all from Republicans.

These Republican House members voted against the bill:

Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona
Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado
Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama
Rep. Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee
Rep. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina
Rep. Bob Good of Virginia
Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia
Rep. Kevin Hern of Oklahoma
Rep. Jody Hice of Georgia
Rep. Thomas Massie of Kentucky
Rep. Barry Moore of Alabama
Rep. Scott Perry of Pennsylvania
Rep. Bill Posey of Florida
Rep. Matt Rosendale of Montana
Rep. Chip Roy of Texas
Let me guess - they voted against it because they don't want more filthy brown Muslims in our great white Christian nation? :disgust1: