Quantcast

Afghanistan...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Many moons ago, my first aviation job was at a little place down on the Central Coast of California. Guy who owned the place found some ancient aircraft tug and bought it on the cheap. We needed a manual for it, and shockingly, the tug still had an OG data plate. I was able to track down the number of conglomerations that had gobbled up the original manufacturer and contacted someone about any sort of technical information they might have on the unit. What I got sent was a microfiche of the original manual. The tug had been built right at the end of WW2 for the Army Aircorp, and the very last chapter was a how-to on how to destroy the tug quickly should the airfield be about to fall into enemy hands. Step by step instruction on how to disable the transmission, where to punch a hole in the engine block, where to jam up the diff, etc. In literally 5 minutes with a big hammer and crowbar/punch one could make the machine forever inoperable by following directions so simple even an aircraft mechanic could understand them.

I fail to understand how this isn't a thing anymore or if just nobody bothered, especially given that we didn't exactly give up in Afghanistan unexpectedly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Many moons ago, my first aviation job was at a little place down on the Central Coast of California. Guy who owned the place found some ancient aircraft tug and bought it on the cheap. We needed a manual for it, and shockingly, the tug still had an OG data plate. I was able to track down the number of conglomerations that had gobbled up the original manufacturer and contacted someone about any sort of technical information they might have on the unit. What I got sent was a microfiche of the original manual. The tug had been built right at the end of WW2 for the Army Aircorp, and the very last chapter was a how-to on how to destroy the tug quickly should the airfield be about to fall into enemy hands. Step by step instruction on how to disable the transmission, where to punch a hole in the engine block, where to jam up the diff, etc. In literally 5 minutes with a big hammer and crowbar/punch one could make the machine forever inoperable by following directions so simple even an aircraft mechanic could understand them.

I fail to understand how this isn't a thing anymore or if just nobody bothered, especially given that we didn't exactly give up in Afghanistan unexpectedly.
yea but if everything was dismantled how will the next war start?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I still can’t get over 22,174 Humvees. Fucking absolute twats.
I’d like verification of those numbers. While I don’t doubt that they got several thousand, I’m not sure I’d those numbers were really what was left, or what was originally spent/generated for the conflict. Numbers I had heard just after things going south indicated less, still significant though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Am I incorrect in assuming that the left behind equipment was intended for the use of the Afghan army?

Probably not as negotiating chips for terms of surrender though.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Destruction of military equipment rather than allowing it to fall into enemy hands is still a thing. Trick is, you have to want to destroy it…

Good luck with the MX on all that shit though. They only think they inherited some cool stuff…

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Destruction of military equipment rather than allowing it to fall into enemy hands is still a thing. Trick is, you have to want to destroy it…

Good luck with the MX on all that shit though. They only think they inherited some cool stuff…
Cannibalizing will probably work for a while with those kind of numbers.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Am I incorrect in assuming that the left behind equipment was intended for the use of the Afghan army?
No, that is exactly what all that shit was for. That's why we didn't blow it all up, and why they have so many Humvees. The Humvees are theirs because they were already in country when we switched to MRAPs so rather than shipping them home to be scrapped we gave them to the locals. We were at least hoping they'd fight off the Taliban, which would be a lot harder to do if we blew up all their shit. As with most things people lose their shit about on the internet, the explanation is actually pretty simple and not nearly as sinister as your crazy uncle seems to think.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No, that is exactly what all that shit was for. That's why we didn't blow it all up, and why they have so many Humvees. The Humvees are theirs because they were already in country when we switched to MRAPs so rather than shipping them home to be scrapped we gave them to the locals. We were at least hoping they'd fight off the Taliban, which would be a lot harder to do if we blew up all their shit. As with most things people lose their shit about on the internet, the explanation is actually pretty simple and not nearly as sinister as your crazy uncle seems to think.

Yeah, I was asking about that earlier. Vietnam ended up with a lot of American jets and helicopters after the North trampled over a corrupt and unmotivated South Vietnam.

Probably not as negotiating chips for terms of surrender though.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am so twisted and confused about this deal now. I want/know we need to help the Afghani people, but I am so pissed off by the way they collapsed and gave the whole thing away. I want to throat punch every able bodied male, especially those wearing uniform items.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Devil’s advocate question though, if you were one of the non talibani afghan army dudes, would you die for a country that isn’t even one in any meaningful way? I am sure then knew the jig was up many, many months ago. Resistance would likely have just been a quicker death.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I think the best way to help the *all* the Afghans now is to fund the crap out of NGOs without making a big deal about it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Devil’s advocate question though, if you were one of the non talibani afghan army dudes, would you die for a country that isn’t even one in any meaningful way? I am sure then knew the jig was up many, many months ago. Resistance would likely have just been a quicker death.
Indeed — Also it seems that the US installed regime was corrupt af and generally hated for it. Polling showed non-Taliban Afghans didn't care much about 'freedom and democracy' but did care a lot about security and food on the table. The occupation at least provided that. The bottom of the 'pyramid of needs' seems to be the main concern now the US is out.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I am so twisted and confused about this deal now. I want/know we need to help the Afghani people, but I am so pissed off by the way they collapsed and gave the whole thing away. I want to throat punch every able bodied male, especially those wearing uniform items.
But why? The US knew full well they built a house of cards and collapse would be swift and immediate. What does it say about a "government" and their "security forces" when the previous US leadership was negotiating with the enemy combatants surrounding an exit? That's a hell of a vote of confidence in the government they established and I'm totally empathetic with the Afghanistan security forces and police. There's no nobility in throwing one's self on the sword in a rigged situation. I feel sorry for the people of Afghanistan that became so invested in the idea of democracy. It was a big lie in so much that the US is unable to export democracy because we are no longer one. The US is an oligarchy run by economic elites and organized special interest groups which has retained the story and heritage of the concept of democracy.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Fun times today watching middle aged overly entitled Afghani males try to negotiate moving their cots in one of the housing areas. “…but you don’t understand, I am with blahblahblah…” Even better watching the NCOIC flat out tell them “No.”
Then they look at me, the guy in civies with the sunglasses and notepad.
Like I am going to further enable you, AfghanimaleKaren. No empathy for you and your Louis Vuitton luggage. I have O6s to counsel and kids to help.