Quantcast

Afraid

khan.cross

Chimp
Jan 12, 2009
Hi Guys,

would like to here some advice.

I am actually a FMX (Motocross) rider and love jumping. 32 years old and about 2 years ago I hardly damaged my femur and slowly get back on the bike.

This time I want to be physically in better condition to avoid injuries. For this I started fitness and made a BMX ramp to jump with my DJ.

As I am afraid to crash I am a bit unsure on jumps. Anyway I have control on the bike and started doing tricks. Doing tricks on a DJ as on a MX bike are two different worlds.
Yesterday I made no foots on my DJ to learn getting back on the pedals. I am satisfied for my first tries.

Anyhow as I feel always risk and as I am afraid, I would like to hear from you if you have advices against fear. Maybe you know some pills or stuff :) (not like drugs).
No to be serious, do you have tips against fear?

Also I would like to know, sometimes I get a bit diagonal in the air as soon as I jump out of the ramp. This let me loose control of the bike and I am nearly going to crash. The ramp is near to the landing hill and the ramp has a smooth transition. Actually as late as I stop padeling then it goes much better. But if I padel close to the ramp then I always come out diagonal.

Here check dis out:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
To quote a friend "if your not scared, your not doing it right"

Thats what the sport is about is trying to get better, bigger jumps, faster lines, harder tricks. So you will allways feel a little fear that you might mess up. But with practice comes confidence.

The reason you are jumping a little crooked is because your weight is not balance on the pedals, since you are used to having them side by side on a moto and now the are crooked on a bicycle.

Just have fun, your off to a good start :clapping:

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
I'm more or less in the same alley - had a few really bad crashes in the past (as in requiring immediate hospitalisation), now fear is always present, much more than before the crashes.
Haven't found a true solution yet, but I'm sure you will not find it in pills. Those might give temporary improvement, but what you want is a solution that's there to stay.
Meditation and the likes are known to work - but it's kinda hard. One guy I know faces his fears in trips (not just acid but the heaviear stuff) and seems to get away with it, but it's not for everyone.

khan.cross

Chimp
Jan 12, 2009
i have seen a pro fmx rider before a show, he smoked a joint before he started his show with a backflip.
actually this is kind of getting the nervosity and fear away but I mean something more serious, not drugs but maybe vegatable :)
or anything you know.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I find that just riding a lot and slowly trying harder/scarier things is the way to go. You just have to build up your confidence slowly and when you decide to step it up commit, don't half ass it, thats when you will get hurt again.

khan.cross

Chimp
Jan 12, 2009
acutally, trick on the bike, like no foot, heelclicker, cordoba, coffing (fmx tricks) is what i can do.

but as soon as I have to leave the bike sideways, like nac nac, no foot can can, is not possible for me.

do you think this has something to do with fear?

as far as i know is that doing these tricks the front of the bike has to be up. otherwise it is not possible to leave the bike. is this right?
also the suspenison and tire pressure has something to do with isnt it?

also very interessting is that when i want to crash on purpose, then i can crash :) so i get out the ramp and throw the bike away and roll myself down the landing. no problem on this... hmmm... strange

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
try to build a couple of lines of dirt jumps that require rhythm and flow... learn how to jump high and smooth first, do tricks later.

cranking at a single jump and trying tricks with a squirrelly style is generally called "hucking."

some dudes like to huck. that's fine, it can be fun to watch. but guaranteed they crash a lot.

or if you're just trying to get in shape and not get injured, build a pump track with jump line options.

another suggestion: buy that PA trails video...
Pawoods blog:
www.pawoods.com

To order the vid:
http://www.pawoods.com/htdoc/summer08.htm

Last edited:

khan.cross

Chimp
Jan 12, 2009
back again
i mean do you guys now anything against excitement?
ok fear is too heavy, only with drugs. but excitement can maybe get under control.