Quantcast

After market springs and there lengths ?

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Bit of an older question here guys.

Basically I finished my retro build a few months bag :Giant ATX DH Team
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10327849/ p4pb10327849.jpg

I have 2 old shocks for it, 1 from another bike thats actually an RS blackbox shock no one can service for me :hmm:
as well as one that came with the shock I had custom built in the states from 2 NOS shocks I found.

They are all 500 x 2.75 the one i have on the bike is way to soft even with my old man on there who weighs in at 140lb found it almost to soft this was made better with a bit of preload but yeah for me I need a 700 maybe more.

The springs meassure 144mm 146mm 148mm and 151mm do these lengths make a difference ?

Does anyone have a heavy 2.75 RS spring there hoarding or what other brands can I use to get me riding the bike ? I did get told steel Nukeproof springs will be fine but the heaviest 2.75 I can find for sale is 600lb.

Any info would be great as ebay and retrobike have been no help at all.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
So fox springs are ok to use on RS shocks ? I have always been under the impression that there the 2 brands that would never cross over........On spring calculators Fox always seen to be 50lb heavier than RS for the same suspension designs

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
you can use any coil for any shock. doesn't matter the brand. only thing need to be sure of is the stroke length, and to check the springs inner diameter to make sure it will clear the shock body, and outer diameter as well to make sure it will clear the piggy back reservoir.