Quantcast

Aftermarket Chris King 10/12mm thru axle for 135/150 spacingmm

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Under the general heading of market research/spam, I am nearly done with our Chris King thru axle conversion. This would allow a Chris King hub to be used with a 10 mm thru axle (like a Hadley, for qr dropouts) or a 12 mm like a Stab or Giant DH.

It would also allow the hub to be used with wider than 135 mm spacing, and result in a dishless wheel at 150 mm.

This originally started out as a way to offer the thru axle conversion with our floating brakes, but we'll make it available for non floaters as well.

Pricing still to be determined, as well as pictures, soon.

Any interest in such a thing?

Brian..... braketherapy@therapycomponents.com

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
so your saying that this conversion will allow me to use my 135 chris king regular qr on my orange 223 with a 12mm x 150 :drool:? if so all my dreams and wishes have come true SIGN ME UP!!!!!!

but i have a couple questions; will it mess up the way my caliper has to be spaced, will it mess up my chainline, and how much extra parts dose it require is it just a new axle and a spacer put inbetween the cassette body and the hub flange or is it way more complicated.

if it works on my 223 i promise i will be the first to buy, but how long is it gonna be before they will be available i need it asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
If you make a 15mm offset brake adapter, it will induce a significant bending moment into the mount. If that is the plan, has this been tested?

Or, are you just making a hub spacer for the rotor mount? I think this is more feasible if you can ensure flatness on the spacer.

Curb Hucker did the same thing last year be drilling the end caps. The downside to his mod was the the end caps are also the locking mechanism for the bearing play adjuster. If you machined a flat into the end cap or used vise grips it works. But using vise grips on a round object would be very nascar engineering. Effective but crude.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
julian_dh said:
so your saying that this conversion will allow me to use my 135 chris king regular qr on my orange 223 with a 12mm x 150 :drool:? if so all my dreams and wishes have come true SIGN ME UP!!!!!!

but i have a couple questions; will it mess up the way my caliper has to be spaced, will it mess up my chainline, and how much extra parts dose it require is it just a new axle and a spacer put inbetween the cassette body and the hub flange or is it way more complicated.

if it works on my 223 i promise i will be the first to buy, but how long is it gonna be before they will be available i need it asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My only reservation on saying yes to everything, is that I'm not familiar with the way the floater integrates with the hub on those bikes (if you have one). If you don't have a floater, you would need a 15 mm spacer to move the disc outboard, so it still lines up with the caliper.

If it's on of our floaters, you won't need the disc spacer.

The chainline will not change.

It involves a new axle, and a new brake side end cap.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
ChrisKring said:
If you make a 15mm offset brake adapter, it will induce a significant bending moment into the mount. If that is the plan, has this been tested?

Or, are you just making a hub spacer for the rotor mount? I think this is more feasible if you can ensure flatness on the spacer.

Curb Hucker did the same thing last year be drilling the end caps. The downside to his mod was the the end caps are also the locking mechanism for the bearing play adjuster. If you machined a flat into the end cap or used vise grips it works. But using vise grips on a round object would be very nascar engineering. Effective but crude.
As I stated above, with our floating brake, the caliper mount itself is moved inboard to match the disc location, so no spacer is needed. Without a floater, a 15 mm disc spacer would be needed, which would be bolted to the hub, with seperate mounting holes for the disc, as opposed to using really long disc bolts. Flatness of the spacer is no problem.

Flats on the end caps are easy, and that's the way it would be done. We try to avoid making/selling products that require a visa grips.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
dose it just have a hollow axle hole so you can use the axle that came with the frame?
cause i dont think that would work any other way dropouts are all different sizes.

also how long till they will come out, and how much. also is it easy to setup?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
As both of the possible replacements frames I'm looking at are 12x150, and one of the main reasons I hesitate is that I can't give up my King, HELL YEAH I'd be interested!

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
llkoolkeg said:
You have just hit upon the reason I went with a Hadley over a King last week...10x135 thru-axle...not just "fun" or "swoopy" bolt add-ons.
Having owned a 10x135 Hadley, a bolt on Razor Rock, and now the bolt on King, I don't agree with you at all.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Bulldog said:
Having owned a 10x135 Hadley, a bolt on Razor Rock, and now the bolt on King, I don't agree with you at all.
I paid $270 for a 10x135 bolt-on Hadley AND SRAM 9.0SL shifter/derailleur combo. The best price I could get on a similar King set up with fun bolts is $330...and that was w/o the shifter/derailleur. I stand by my decision, but again, that's before riding and abusing the Hadley. Given what you know know, would you have taken a different decision? :confused:

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Tenacious Doug said:
Interesting, any idea on prices yet?
At this point, it will be around $90-$100 for the conversion kit, plus another $25-$35 for the thru axle. If your bike is already using a 12 mm axle, it will work with that.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
julian_dh said:
dose it just have a hollow axle hole so you can use the axle that came with the frame?
cause i dont think that would work any other way dropouts are all different sizes.

also how long till they will come out, and how much. also is it easy to setup?
Yes, if your bike came with a 12 mm axle, like a Kona Stab, or Giant DH for example, the standard axle for that bike will work with this conversion.

The 10 mm version is being tested now, and the 12 mm is basically identical other than hole size, so they should be available within a week or two. We're taking orders now

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
julian_dh said:
also will i have to get my wheel rebuilt for it to work properly
If your using a 135 mm hub in a 135 mm frame, you will not have to do anytihng to the wheel, other than change the axle in the hub. If your using a 135 hub in a 150 mm frame, you would need to relace the wheel with new spokes.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Bulldog said:
Hey Bulldog, what do you consider the advantages of the king over the hadley?

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
interested?
hell yeah!

now my pink King stuff will mount up to the 12x135mm Sinister rear!

heh heh... i'm gonna like this idea...

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Bullitboyz said:
interested?
hell yeah!

now my pink King stuff will mount up to the 12x135mm Sinister rear!

heh heh... i'm gonna like this idea...
Yeah, that should work fine, you'd just need to relace your wheel to get rid of the dish.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hey Brian I know a guy that had that same idea. He said it was a product that was in much need. Oh yeah that was me. Finally! Someone that listens to consumers is awesome and much needed.
By the way I am looking forward to your ad as well, I'm sure it's gonna be sweet!
Oh the beadlock rim idea I mentioned as well is under developement by a bigger tire co. I mentioned it to them to and he said they had the same idea and should have a prototype real soon.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I am interested, but wouldn't it be easier for the bike owner to have the existing hub end caps machined out to 12mm then throwing down $100 for the same thing?

Sorry if I am missing something but it doesn't seem all that hard...

Dan

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
Hello. Need help!!! Been tryin to get my King ISO disc rear hub to work w/ my Brake Therapy floating brake. I have the 10mm "Fun Bolts" which look like the hub itself (actually the adjusting clamp) will have to be modified or cut on a lathe for the bracket to fit correctly. The unit I got came off a Bullit (which is what I have now) originally made for an Industry Nine hub. If anyone has any hints or answers or pictures I would be in DREAM LAND!! Always wanted a floater for this bke but have been too expensive to get one. Please Help!! ANYONE!!! Thanks.