Quantcast

Again with the early... Tuesday GMT

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I happily buy many tools from Harbor Freight. Most tool are made in China, so why pay more for them else where? Their no questions asked warranty is great. I’ve broken many things from there mainly due to my own poor use and have gotten replacements quickly.
And there in lies the problem. Someone figured out that it was cheaper to manufacture in China (or wherever) and provide an unconditional lifetime warranty than it was to design and build a good tool in the first place. Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowes, the auto parts stores, all the same imported garbage with a different name stamped on the side. Locally, it is damn near impossible to source decent tools; in fact, I can't think of a single place.

It still burns me what Sears and SBD did and continue to do to the Craftsman brand. They were the tools to fill that middle ground. Now? Junk. The promise of a new made in USA factory was just killed too after 5 years and probably hundreds of millions of dollars invested.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
that is dumb as shit on ALL FRONTS

edit: also those shoes are ugly. basically white boomer shoes.
They removed the toe air picked and used rubber for the wings vs hard plastic. They added the gum sole for traction. They really improved on what was originally a solid skate shoe. The colorway isn't my favorite, but it's the shoe I care about. But in traditional Nike fashion, they spent 6 months hyping it up then manufacturer scarcity so nobody will actually skate it outside of a dozen YouTubers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They removed the toe air picked and used rubber for the wings vs hard plastic. They added the gum sole for traction. They really improved on what was originally a solid skate shoe. The colorway isn't my favorite, but it's the shoe I care about. But in traditional Nike fashion, they spent 6 months hyping it up then manufacturer scarcity so nobody will actually skate it outside of a dozen YouTubers.
1680618519889.png

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
And there in lies the problem. Someone figured out that it was cheaper to manufacture in China (or wherever) and provide an unconditional lifetime warranty than it was to design and build a good tool in the first place. Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowes, the auto parts stores, all the same imported garbage with a different name stamped on the side. Locally, it is damn near impossible to source decent tools; in fact, I can't think of a single place.

It still burns me what Sears and SBD did and continue to do to the Craftsman brand. They were the tools to fill that middle ground. Now? Junk. The promise of a new made in USA factory was just killed too after 5 years and probably hundreds of millions of dollars invested.
American consumerism at its best. I do have a fair amount of Snap On and Matco tools, but having to find a distributor to buy them is a giant pain in the ass. I can’t actually think of a single retail store that sells American made tools.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We don't have Harbor Freight up here, we have Princess Auto which is kind of similar, but also kind of different. I go there to buy most stupid stuff I need - usually stuff that I need to use once or twice a year. Or even for tiny little wrenches that I use for bleeding brakes, other stores don't even carry stuff like that.

Also even if I do go to Home Depot, Lowes or Canadian Tire, the stuff in there is usually priced much higher but seems to be about the same junk?

Its also interesting reading about China vs North American made stuff. The dollar stores up here carry a lot of plastic containers that are actually made in Canada. You'd probably expect the opposite, given the target audience and price point of the dollar store. Where is premium priced Tupperware made now? I'm guessing China, but its still a better product.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
American consumerism at its best. I do have a fair amount of Snap On and Matco tools, but having to find a distributor to buy them is a giant pain in the ass. I can’t actually think of a single retail store that sells American made tools.
Same, I've got a bunch of Snap On stuff (mostly second hand), but can't be bothered to chase down a truck every time I want something. Easier to get it off eBay.

Even some of the stalwart American brands are in decline. Home Depot dropped Estwing. Lowes still carries them but outside of the metal framing hammers their imported introductions have started cannibalizing the Estwing shelf space. Channellock? Dwindling supply at the Depot, never a huge selection at Lowes. In fact, I bought a few pairs of cutters that were being cleared out for $6 recently. Only a matter of time before they're no longer widely available. Same goes for Klein, they're still putting out Made in USA tools but have introduced a bunch of imported offerings as well. Even Proto, MAC and Matco are starting to replace some of their lines with imported stuff.

It's a sad time to be a consumer of quality tools. Either you settle for crap or pay out the nose for top shelf stuff. Probably why there's such a movement to reuse and repurpose older stuff.

Not trying to imply that all imported stuff is garbage, but there's a noticeable decline in performance, design and longevity compared to even middle of the road tools.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Counterpoint: for most consumers' use cases then the Chinese garbage is actually sufficient.

Same, I've got a bunch of Snap On stuff (mostly second hand), but can't be bothered to chase down a truck every time I want something. Easier to get it off eBay.

Even some of the stalwart American brands are in decline. Home Depot dropped Estwing. Lowes still carries them but outside of the metal framing hammers their imported introductions have started cannibalizing the Estwing shelf space. Channellock? Dwindling supply at the Depot, never a huge selection at Lowes. In fact, I bought a few pairs of cutters that were being cleared out for $6 recently. Only a matter of time before they're no longer widely available. Same goes for Klein, they're still putting out Made in USA tools but have introduced a bunch of imported offerings as well. Even Proto, MAC and Matco are starting to replace some of their lines with imported stuff.

It's a sad time to be a consumer of quality tools. Either you settle for crap or pay out the nose for top shelf stuff. Probably why there's such a movement to reuse and repurpose older stuff.

Not trying to imply that all imported stuff is garbage, but there's a noticeable decline in performance, design and longevity compared to even middle of the road tools.
Yeah, and chasing down a Snap-On truck can be difficult. Dealers only care about their full on addicted customers.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Counterpoint: for most consumers' use cases then the Chinese garbage is actually sufficient.
Very true, kind of what I’m getting at. I find it very humorous when people look down their nose at tools from HF. I use my tools quite often, I am not a professional mechanic, but aside from rebuilding a transmission we will do almost all repairs in our shop. I actually have quite a few problems with tool truck companies business practices. They put young mechanics in wild amounts of debt that they will never pay off. Is the $30,000 snap on tool box nice? Hell ya, but dumb as hell, but at weekly payment sure is easy.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It's true, I can't disagree. HF tools probably grace the toolboxes of many, many capable individuals, present company included. :D They've got their place, though I personally would never rely on any of the precision, load bearing, or rotating tools.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Good day everybody!!!!

I’ve bought harbor freight stuff and am still useing it 20 plus years later. But I prefer nice old garage sale and estate sale finds. I really need some wood working stuff and learn that.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My first taste was buying a set of vise-grips. Got them from Sears, didn't realize they had just moved production to china. The jaws were poorly machined and so "rotated" when clamping, rather than moving straight up and down. I checked my dad's set and they worked fine (even after I had previously used them as a hammer). The cost of the tool was the same, for me. Somebody somewhere got rich...but I have no problem buying my next set from aliexpress or harbor freight as it's the same shit with a brand name.

The reason nobody supplies good brands like channel lock is you only need to buy them once. I started buying tools that are made in the US now, and not overseas (where possible). Good luck finding US made drill bits....but a derailleur pulley? I'm OK with that not coming with ceramicspeed stamped on the side.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey guys there's a thread for tool talk........

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
hey guys there's a thread for tool talk........

Sorry, back to daily news.
It’s 11:47 am, done with coffee and I’ve pooped 3x so far today. Might got for a 4th later.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Back at work, I should have just stayed in the desert.

Same, but won't buy from the trucks ever again. I'm in a very densely populated area with multiple Snap-On and Matco dealers, none of them want to warranty my tools because I'm not on their route. Fuck those guys.

I'll buy tools made in Europe for about 1/4 the cost and just throw it away when it breaks and still come out ahead. Half the shit off the tool trucks is made by somebody else anyway these days, Bahco, Trusty Cook, Knipex, Western Forge, Witte, all sell direct, if you don't need the financing and aren't going to get the service the truck brands promise, why bother?

There is a shift going on, Klein, Channel Lock, Dewalt, and a few others are now actively making and advertising their made in US or at least assembled in USA tools.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Back at work, I should have just stayed in the desert.

Same, but won't buy from the trucks ever again. I'm in a very densely populated area with multiple Snap-On and Matco dealers, none of them want to warranty my tools because I'm not on their route. Fuck those guys.

I'll buy tools made in Europe for about 1/4 the cost and just throw it away when it breaks and still come out ahead. Half the shit off the tool trucks is made by somebody else anyway these days, Bahco, Trusty Cook, Knipex, Western Forge, Witte, all sell direct, if you don't need the financing and aren't going to get the service the truck brands promise, why bother?

There is a shift going on, Klein, Channel Lock, Dewalt, and a few others are now actively making and advertising their made in US or at least assembled in USA tools.
Witte screw drivers are the shit. Found that out after paying out the ass for a “matco” screw driver. Whole set from Witte is less than one on the rape van.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They've got their place, though I personally would never rely on any of the precision, load bearing, or rotating tools.
After the recall and lawsuit, the new jack stands are bad ass, actually. I got the 6 ton for working on the truck and have good confidence in them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, not to get all bikey in the Lounge, but the new Santa Cruz Nomad V6 is fucking hot. I would need to save a lot of pennies, but I haven't been that excited about a bike in a while. At least on paper it's perfect.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm in a very densely populated area with multiple Snap-On and Matco dealers, none of them want to warranty my tools because I'm not on their route. Fuck those guys.
There are over a hundred mechanics on the floor here, and we still can't get a single tool truck to stop by here regularly and I just don't understand it. The only guy who even bothers is a Snap-on dealer, and he only comes by like, maybe once every six weeks, and at like 10 in the morning, when a solid 90% of the mechanics work nights. I have tools I've needed warrantied for years, both Snap-on and MAC and can't ever manage to chase a truck down. Fuck those guys.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
There are over a hundred mechanics on the floor here, and we still can't get a single tool truck to stop by here regularly and I just don't understand it. The only guy who even bothers is a Snap-on dealer, and he only comes by like, maybe once every six weeks, and at like 10 in the morning, when a solid 90% of the mechanics work nights. I have tools I've needed warrantied for years, both Snap-on and MAC and can't ever manage to chase a truck down. Fuck those guys.
Maybe they don't like money?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Kart has been dropped. Shop owner is assessing and prepping it as one of his team karts. Totally agrees that there is an issue with the gearing, but is looking over everything top-bottom.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Also, not to get all bikey in the Lounge, but the new Santa Cruz Nomad V6 is fucking hot. I would need to save a lot of pennies, but I haven't been that excited about a bike in a while. At least on paper it's perfect.
I am so happy I finally have a new bike. New geo bikes are fun.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Van prep is all but complete. Tomorrow's departure is on ice because accidentally ice storm.