Quantcast

Age Old Armor Question

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Ok, for all you other gals out there doing freeride and DH - I dabble in the former (did a lot better before I nose dived three feet and landed head first at 'Nam a few months ago but working on regaining that confidence!) and would like to try the latter - thinking of getting up to Tenney before the end of the season. I am a tad over 5'10 and probably 155 lbs - so definitely not petite (except for my little peanut head that requires a XXS helmet). Currently using a Giro Switchblade and have the Roach (well Race Face now) FR knee/shin and arm/elbow. Looking for some upper body protection and a real FF helmet. Needs to fit into my woefully small budget (spent that on the bike!) and do double duty for freeride days at 'Nam/Lynn Woods and DH. So that probably eliminates the true "jacket" style of Dainese and Rockgardn.

So what're y'all wearing? What works? What do you hate? I almost pulled the trigger on an Acerbis Lady Fusion roost guard but after a conversation with my local moto shop I was persuaded to try the softer biofoam jacket stye when the owner told me that's what their riders are moving towards as opposed to hard plastic. Said it distributes the impact better. He is ordering me a couple of different sizes of the 661 assault pressure suit to try on - I like the idea b/c of the price and the short sleeve style.

Also, what are you running for a helmet? Since I have the Switchblade for "lighter" trail days I am thinking of going with a moto helmet. Same guy is also ordering me a youth HJC in XXL since I fall between the youth L/XL and the adult XS.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :D

Jen

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
TurnerGrl said:
....So what're y'all wearing? What works? What do you hate? I almost pulled the trigger on an Acerbis Lady Fusion roost guard but after a conversation with my local moto shop I was persuaded to try the softer biofoam jacket stye when the owner told me that's what their riders are moving towards as opposed to hard plastic. Said it distributes the impact better. He is ordering me a couple of different sizes of the 661 assault pressure suit to try on - I like the idea b/c of the price and the short sleeve style.

Also, what are you running for a helmet? Since I have the Switchblade for "lighter" trail days I am thinking of going with a moto helmet. Same guy is also ordering me a youth HJC in XXL since I fall between the youth L/XL and the adult XS.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :D

Jen
I dig the Azonic armor jacket and the Giro Mad Max II helmet. Not sure if the helmet comes small enough for you, though. Good luck!

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
TurnerGrl said:
I almost pulled the trigger on an Acerbis Lady Fusion roost guard but after a conversation with my local moto shop I was persuaded to try the softer biofoam jacket stye when the owner told me that's what their riders are moving towards as opposed to hard plastic.
I wear the Lady fusion chest/back protector myself and I love it. One thing in particular is that the shoulder cuffs are real high, so my head feels stable between it, like I'm not going to break my neck falling sideways. It's mostly that I FEEL comfortable in it. Plus, I like the idea of the kidney protectors, I don't see the pressure suits having anything for the midsection. I personally don't mind the hard plastic cause I feel like a terminatrix in it, more confident than in something softer. Also, when it's hot outside, I'm much more comfortable than my full-body armored counterparts.

Best of all, tho, it's form fitted to women, it's got boobs!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Thanks for the feedback! Megan, have you taken any hard falls in the Lady Fusion? How well did it absorb the hit?

BTW, I decided to go with the Mad Max II for a helmet - as long as it ends up fitting anyway! Should be in later this week :D

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
TurnerGrl said:
Thanks for the feedback! Megan, have you taken any hard falls in the Lady Fusion? How well did it absorb the hit?

BTW, I decided to go with the Mad Max II for a helmet - as long as it ends up fitting anyway! Should be in later this week :D
That's so funny! I have the exact same helmet. Just tell me you didn't get it in cherry red, we MAY have to ride on separate days if that's the case ;)

Yes, I had a high speed crash down A-line with it on. I landed on my back and the only this scratched up was the skin the armor wasn't covering. You know that sweet spot...the love handles, ugh. Another time I blew up and landed on my front, split my lip, broke my thumb, sprained my ankle (got caught up in the bike me thinks) but no chest, arm, shoulder pain. Thing is, I can't tell you any "if I hadn't had my Lady Fusion on, I would have broke my shoulder" stories, cause when I crash, I never feel like that area (Lady Fusion covers) got hit. So, that could be because I never hit those areas or that the armor takes a good beatin'!

Hope that helps.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
shootr said:
Don't lie Megan, that split lip and broke thumb came from the Boyfriend.. and you sprained your ankle when you "accidently fell down the stairs... .... that time he was drunk"
Damnit Shoots! Once he reads this, and he will cause he follows my activity on the computer, he's really gonna give it to me...I'm sending YOU the doctor's bill.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Megan Black said:
Damnit Shoots! Once he reads this, and he will cause he follows my activity on the computer, he's really gonna give it to me...I'm sending YOU the doctor's bill.
Oddly enough the bill will read:

1 Specialized Demo Nine....er I mean ER visit. :)

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
I use a Fox roost shell now; much cooler and I like the hard plastic for rocky, rooty terrain. I hate being overheated at whistler and the shore; takes away precious energy!! I've taken some brutal crashes with it and it has saved me. I also own a 661 and it's good too but way too hot in the summer.
I have a small head also and my Prime and Apache ffh are perfect. Taken some serious crashes on them too. Damn those crashes!!!!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
OK, I just ordered the Acerbis Lady Fusion...woo hoo! Hopefully will be here early next week so I'll have it for the trip to Diablo a week from Friday. My Mad Max II should be here sometime in the next few days also. Don't worry Megan, mine will be blue and white. Should complement the red and white Lady Fusion fabulously! :thumb: Didn't have any choice there - all other colors were on backorder...plus, wouldn't want to color coordinate too much. :rolleyes:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the feedback. Next season I may be able to spring for the Dianese safety jacket to complement the collection on true downhill days. Think that style is definitely too hot for trail riding - man, I was roasting just trying on stuff in the shop!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
TurnerGrl said:
OK, I just ordered the Acerbis Lady Fusion...woo hoo! Hopefully will be here early next week so I'll have it for the trip to Diablo a week from Friday. My Mad Max II should be here sometime in the next few days also. Don't worry Megan, mine will be blue and white. Should complement the red and white Lady Fusion fabulously! :thumb: Didn't have any choice there - all other colors were on backorder...plus, wouldn't want to color coordinate too much. :rolleyes:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the feedback. Next season I may be able to spring for the Dianese safety jacket to complement the collection on true downhill days. Think that style is definitely too hot for trail riding - man, I was roasting just trying on stuff in the shop!

Look for the 'last years model' dainesse when you buy. I got an 03 at the beginning of this season and it's actually pretty cool and I feel very well protected...got it for almost 100 bucks cheaper too...and it molds over boobs....and I'm not talkin just the uhhhh...first two or three letters of the alphabet if you know what I mean.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
dh girlie said:
and it molds over boobs....and I'm not talkin just the uhhhh...first two or three letters of the alphabet if you know what I mean.
:confused: please explain it more.

It often helps if you include pictures.....I learn better with pictures. :D

:rolleyes: sorry I couldn't resist. :cool:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dh girlie said:
Look for the 'last years model' dainesse when you buy. I got an 03 at the beginning of this season and it's actually pretty cool and I feel very well protected...got it for almost 100 bucks cheaper too...and it molds over boobs....and I'm not talkin just the uhhhh...first two or three letters of the alphabet if you know what I mean.
Yep that works well, or I can get you a 2004 model dainese for about the same price or less then youc an get a 2003 on closeout. ;)

They really do fit well on women, which is contrary to popular belief.

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
I may very well be in the market for the Dainese next season, unless the Lady Fusion doesn't fit at all. I should know later today according to Fed Ex tracking! :dancing: The Mad Max II came in to my LBS last week and I think I'm really going to like it. Although I ended up having to scrounge all the leftover padding from my Switchblades and Pneumo to make it fit a little better. Even so, the chin strap is still as tight as it will go. Man, I really do have a peanut head... :rolleyes: Can't wait to try it all out this weekend for my first go at lift-serviced riding. Woo Hoo! :D

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
I have a very small head - and my Mad Max II really only fits if i bunch my hair up just right in the back of the helmet... so def try it first!

-[EDIT]
-- sorry did not read all of the posts .. Glad to hear it fit!!
---- whoo hoo 100 posts