Quantcast

Aggghhhh

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Ipods suck, too.
So does Apple customer service.

At least the customer service wench was cute, and had big jugs to stare at while waiting half the day to get somebody else's Ipod back...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Fixed.

DuraAce chains (9, 10 speed, either way) are way narrower than a PC1 SS chain. The pins are not going to work at all.
I was thinking more of the fact he was trying to use a Shimano replacement pin in a masterlink chain. Wouldn't it just be easier to carry/use a masterlink?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Yup, and I'm always the guy who has the **** to fix everyone's bike when they break. ;) I actually do have a mule...........not quite 30lbs though......maybe 25 :rofl:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I bet you are one of those dudes that take a 30lb mule on every ride
:stupid:

MacGuyver FTW. It's just not practical to be prepared for every single possible thing that could go wrong on a ride, so being able to cobble something together is always good.

I do carry a couple of extra powerlinks though.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I was going to say, you can't be prepared for EVERYTHING......I've panic-engineered stuff a few times to get out of the woods before dark........but chain breaking is probably the most common occurrence on the trail, other than maybe flats. Do you not carry a tube either?

EDIT - Also, depends on the ride/location. If I'm doing a small 5-6 mile loop at a place always within short distance of "civilization" I'll pack light. However it's a 50mile epic ride way up in Maine, it's good to be very prepared.

Last edited:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
blah, you all are a pain...

yes, I always bring a tube (and co2/multi tool) but unless I'm doing 30 or more miles I go w/o a pack.

I havent broken a chain in 3 or 4 years plus I was just doing a 45 minute (after work/before I had to be somewhere else) ride and it was a brand new chain...so instead of calling it after 1.5 miles of riding, back at the truck I went with what I had to see if I could get in a few more miles in and fix it properly at home later.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Not to rag on you more, but the biggest problem is that the PC-1 is a 1/8 chain and Shimano doesn't make pins (or chains) that wide.

I would think using a zip tie would have held better. That's why the ones on my bike holding down housing are uncut, just in case I need it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm sure we all have sympathy for you, but an opportunity to rag on you is not to be wasted.
Yeah, I'm just having fun giving you sh*t.

Chains and drive systems are so fussy that any attempt to jury rig is pretty much doomed from the get-go.[/QUOTE]Well, it takes some more ingenuity (read: luck) I've sucessfully zip tied together a broken derailleur cage so that I could finish a ride. It even shifted fine. I think my finest achievement in terms of redneck engineering somthing together on the trail was turning the pulleys from a blown up derailleur, part of a cantilever brake, a couple of zip ties and two valve stem nuts into a functional single speen tensioner so that I could ride. It worked so well that I kept using it (with a bolt replacing one of the zip ties) for a while.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
DuraAce chains (9, 10 speed, either way) are way narrower than a PC1 SS chain. The pins are not going to work at all.
You still should have known that it wouldn't work, based on the overall width of the chains.
Not to rag on you more, but the biggest problem is that the PC-1 is a 1/8 chain and Shimano doesn't make pins (or chains) that wide.
:rofl: :rofl: :bonk: