Quantcast

ahh to join HOPE brigade or start an avid juicy brigade?

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by greenreese
And after reading the 4,5,6... plus posts praising hopes on just the front page here, those m4's seem like the safe choice. But I will never really know if I would like the juicys unless I buy them. One of the guys who used to work at my shop just got some though, so maybe I can try them out. He also said something that is stuck in my mind though, "Buy what you want".

-dAn
There are almost as many 'Hopes are awesome' posts as there are 'I can't get my hopes to stop my bike/stop squealing' posts. :) ;)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Yeah, both of them seem like awesome choices, the hopes seem safe and awesome, and the avids adjustments look awesome and I love the way they mount.

Brian, How do I choose which # caliper I need? I might be switching from a marz to a manitou in the future too...
Thanks

-dAn
Which fork? Some marzocchi's are a IS standard while others aren't and Manitou is F'ed up from the start from their mounts.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by Incubus
There are almost as many 'Hopes are awesome' posts as there are 'I can't get my hopes to stop my bike/stop squealing' posts. :) ;)
Yeah, there seem to be a lot of those for the earlier years but less for the mono's, although, less people have the mono's, so it might be the same.

-dAn

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Which fork? Some marzocchi's are a IS standard while others aren't and Manitou is F'ed up from the start from their mounts.
03 Z.1 fr

to

sherman jumper

-dAn

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I have the avid J7's. They are real nice. Modulation is alot better than the hayes, but i also went to 6" rotors on my trail bike from 8" so i dont know if thats part of the difference in feel. The avid setup is the easiest of any brake. I had grimecas that mount like hopes. They sucked to get aligned, plus you need a handfull of shim washers and lots of patience. Ive never ridden hopes for an extended period of time so i cant comment on those. But comparing to the hayes the avids do offer more adjustment with the pad align knob. The feel is not as firm as hayes, but stopping power is good. I do have some air in my resivors that i can see (another + of the juicy), so its time to try to bleed them.

Dirt rag also has a write up on disk brake tech. In the bleeding section they say avids are the easiest to bleed with the best written instructions,. I have the bleed kit and they are right saying the instructions are well written. Also they say hopes are the hardest to do and should be left up to the professionals.

Like your friend said buy what YOU want.

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
I've had the hope M4 and E4. The Avid juicy's are amazing specially if you dont have big giant hands. The juicy's also offer alot more braking power for the same finger effort. The bleeding kit is truely a no drip no wasted fluid kit. So after riding my Juicy 7's with 8 inch braking wave rotors.... All my hope stuff is up for sale if anyones intrested :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
03 Z.1 fr

to

sherman jumper

-dAn
The best thing to do is get a #3 caliper and then for a manitou you need an adaptor, that will give you a 200 rotor. Then for the Z1 the #3 and a 20mm adaptor will get you the same size rotor.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by oly
I have the avid J7's. They are real nice. Modulation is alot better than the hayes, but i also went to 6" rotors on my trail bike from 8" so i dont know if thats part of the difference in feel. The avid setup is the easiest of any brake. I had grimecas that mount like hopes. They sucked to get aligned, plus you need a handfull of shim washers and lots of patience. Ive never ridden hopes for an extended period of time so i cant comment on those. But comparing to the hayes the avids do offer more adjustment with the pad align knob. The feel is not as firm as hayes, but stopping power is good. I do have some air in my resivors that i can see (another + of the juicy), so its time to try to bleed them.

Dirt rag also has a write up on disk brake tech. In the bleeding section they say avids are the easiest to bleed with the best written instructions,. I have the bleed kit and they are right saying the instructions are well written. Also they say hopes are the hardest to do and should be left up to the professionals.

Like your friend said buy what YOU want.
I think I will buy them.

Do yours have that problem of going flat when tilted, and do you know if that is because of air in them?

-dAn

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
gotta love it, this post origionally was about buying juicys or hopes, then we started talking about 24, then it got hijacked again into brian and luc going at eachother over lucs bleeding issues a month ago. good stuff :blah:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I think I will buy them.

Do yours have that problem of going flat when tilted, and do you know if that is because of air in them?

-dAn
By going flat, im not sure i know what you mean. Ive really had no problems with mine so far.

Chachi

Chimp
Apr 13, 2002
My Juicy review:

After six years on Hayes, I am using the 8" Avids this year. These brakes have tons of power, much more than the any of the Hayes I have ever owned. I am still getting used to the power. Occasionally I will lock up the front wheel on the steeps which was rarely possible with the Hayes. Much less effort for more braking power. Modulation seems to be about the same as Hayes.

Positives:
1) super easy to set up -- two adjustments, one for contact point and one for lever position relative to the bar -- I run mine so I can pull them to the grip, something that was only possible with new Hayes if you bent the levers.
2) tons of power
3) on-the-fly adjustment of contact point -- I am constanly fiddling with my brakes so the contact point is exactly where I like it. With the Avids' red knob, you can actually adjust contact point while riding (although not really recommended) or stopped.

Negatives:
1) front tends to pump up a little on long steep decents, but no more so than my Hayes
2) the red knob is vulnerable to crashage -- keeping it on top makes it more convenient for adjustments. But, the levers can be flip-flopped so the knob faces down and is protected -- I hit a tree with mine and cracked the knob, but because it is made of soft plastic, the crack in it does not affect its use
3) lever throw (distance out from the bar) adjustment screw (in the lever) is difficult to access with the lever on the bike -- however, after you set it up the first time, there is no need to change it

I haven't had to bleed them yet, so I have no idea how easy/difficult they are to bleed.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by oly
By going flat, im not sure i know what you mean. Ive really had no problems with mine so far.
Some people have said that if they tipped the bike up on the back wheel so that the whole bike was vertical, that the brake lever would pull all the way into the bar if the lever was squeezed a few times.

Chachi- Thanks, so I take it you like them better than the hayes?
Do you have to rebleed them to mount them upside down?

-dAn

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Absolutely not thats whats great about them. You'd never get any fluid on your hands even if your bleeding them (with their kit)

Chachi- Thanks, so I take it you like them better than the hayes?
Do you have to rebleed them to mount them upside down?

-dAn

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by Hrelp
Absolutely not thats whats great about them. You'd never get any fluid on your hands even if your bleeding them (with their kit)
But wouldn't you have to run the right lever as the left lever, and the left as the right and then switch the hoses? So that they mount with the knob on the bottom? I don't mean running them the moto way or whatever it is called(left rear, right front deal).
Or, can you take the knobs off and just use some little tool or whatever to turn them? Sounds like you could set them up a bunch of different ways, which I like.

-dAn

Chachi

Chimp
Apr 13, 2002
But wouldn't you have to run the right lever as the left lever, and the left as the right and then switch the hoses? So that they mount with the knob on the bottom? I don't mean running them the moto way or whatever it is called(left rear, right front deal).
Or, can you take the knobs off and just use some little tool or whatever to turn them? Sounds like you could set them up a bunch of different ways, which I like.

-dAn
yes, you would have to re-bleed them. unless you regularly take head-on hits to your brakes, i don't really see killing the red knobs as a major problem anyway.

and yes, i do like them more than my I ever liked my Hayes. just the adjustability makes them superior. all the other stuff is icing on the cake.

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Taking the red knobs out does not displace any fluid at all it's jsut held in by a c clip and u can stick them underneath no problem as it's meant to be interchanged without bleeding. I also run mine moto style without having to bleed them.

-dAn

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
No you are wrong if all he wants to do is put the knob on the underbody he can just pop out the knob and put it in backwards does not require ANY bleeding.
Originally posted by Chachi
yes, you would have to re-bleed them. unless you regularly take head-on hits to your brakes, i don't really see killing the red knobs as a major problem anyway.

and yes, i do like them more than my I ever liked my Hayes. just the adjustability makes them superior. all the other stuff is icing on the cake.