Quantcast

ahh to join HOPE brigade or start an avid juicy brigade?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
So im in a brake dilemna. Im debating between the M4 and the juicy7s. Both about the same price. I know the hopes are the tried and true brakes that everyone pretty much loves. Are they easy to bleed or relativly easy? ANd has anyone tried out the new juicys? The adjustable pad thing looks appealing and i dont have to support the UK. HAHA JK. Anyway tell me what you guys think brakes arent much of a big deal to me as long as they feel and stop better then my crappy hfx 9s. Should I also consider HFX MAGs? I hear there pretty nice too?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by joel hester
Damn, jack just cut off chase's hand!
GOD DAMN YOU!!! I really really didn't want to know what happened tonite (show comes on at 9 on the west coast). How could you do this to me?!?! :angry: :mad:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by dexterq20
GOD DAMN YOU!!! I really really didn't want to know what happened tonite (show comes on at 9 on the west coast). How could you do this to me?!?! :angry: :mad:
do you want some cheese for that whine :D

that was just a small part, dont worry, we didnt ruin it

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
do you want some cheese for that whine :D

that was just a small part, dont worry, we didnt ruin it
Well, ok then.... if you insist. And if you happen to have some cheese, that would be awesome. Seriously. Anything's better than the crappy dorm food they're feeding us right now. :dead:

And to biker3... I just recently decided I was sick of my HFX-9s, and all I did was buy the HFX-Mag lever/master cylinder assemblies and installed those using my original calipers and hoses. Much cheaper than a whole new brake setup, and it worked like a charm, cuz the 9s and Mags use the exact same calipers and hoses; only difference is in the master cylinders (and it is a BIG difference).

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by biker3
i dono what u guys are talking about but i think im gunna get the avids just to be different and start a new "clique" and to be more pimpin homies.
We're talking about the TV show 24. It's awesome. Not at all plausible, but that doesn't matter, cuz Jack Bauer is the ultimate badass. What.

Biker3, man, did you even read my suggestion? You'll save hella money (that's right, I said hella). Think about it.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
The Brian countdown is still ticking. Jeez, he has been slow lately :D . I haven't tried the avid jucies, so I really couldn't say anything about them, but I really love my Hopes. Insane power and modulation, excellent feel, ease of installation (avid CPS is probably easier) and most importantly, pimpin good looks. :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by dexterq20
Ahahahahaha! Now that I think about it, they never eat either. Maybe they're not human... :D
Well, duh, if they don't eat, they don't have to go to the bathroom.

Besides, heroin is a good substitute for food.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
I am in the exact same situation. I don't like my 9's and am looking at either the juicy's or m4's (or mini's). RD set them up the best they have ever been, but I still just don't like the brakes.

I think I am going to grab some avids with 7in rotors. Does anyone know how the fit is with 6in juicys on an imperial?

Also have the people who had the problem with the juicy's going "flat" when tilted up gotten it fixed?

-dAn

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by greenreese
I think I am going to grab some avids with 7in rotors. Does anyone know how the fit is with 6in juicys on an imperial?
I never buy first year products. Only time I've ever broken that rule is to get my Sherman Firefly, and that was 6 months after the product was released so there had been time for flaws to surface.

I figure, when I buy a high end bike part, I can't afford for it to be anything less than a great product. So let someone else be the guinea pig and I'll buy it on the second product run when the flaws are worked out.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I got the "my little bleeder" Hope bleeder from Go-Ride and it's awesome. My first time ever bleeding brakes and it didn't take long at all.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by binary visions
I never buy first year products. Only time I've ever broken that rule is to get my Sherman Firefly, and that was 6 months after the product was released so there had been time for flaws to surface.

I figure, when I buy a high end bike part, I can't afford for it to be anything less than a great product. So let someone else be the guinea pig and I'll buy it on the second product run when the flaws are worked out.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but they just look so nice...

It seems that everyone that has them says they are awesome but they all have some little problem. So you might be right.

And after reading the 4,5,6... plus posts praising hopes on just the front page here, those m4's seem like the safe choice. But I will never really know if I would like the juicys unless I buy them. One of the guys who used to work at my shop just got some though, so maybe I can try them out. He also said something that is stuck in my mind though, "Buy what you want".

-dAn

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by greenreese
Yeah, I know what you mean, but they just look so nice...

It seems that everyone that has them says they are awesome but they all have some little problem. So you might be right.

And after reading the 4,5,6... plus posts praising hopes on just the front page here, those m4's seem like the safe choice. But I will never really know if I would like the juicys unless I buy them. One of the guys who used to work at my shop just got some though, so maybe I can try them out. He also said something that is stuck in my mind though, "Buy what you want".

-dAn
I've heard a lot of good things about the Juicy's, worse comes to worse you can always sell them and get some Hopes.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I've heard a lot of good things about the Juicy's, worse comes to worse you can always sell them and get some Hopes.
Yeah, both of them seem like awesome choices, the hopes seem safe and awesome, and the avids adjustments look awesome and I love the way they mount.

Brian, How do I choose which # caliper I need? I might be switching from a marz to a manitou in the future too...
Thanks

-dAn