Quantcast

AHHH, new fork steerer length troubles!!

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I just got an 04 Super T to put on my 01 BigHit. For some idiotic reason I never asked the guy how long the steerer was. I just got it and from crown to crown it's within 5 millimeters of my heattube length!! I know a zero stack headset is not an option, right now I've got a Pig DH Pro (31mm). Is my only option to have Marz press in a new steerer for $65? I'll be pretty pissed at myself if it is, $65 on top of what I already paid for it makes it less of the deal it used to be :mumble:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
well.........if you put the race on the fork and trail fit it, and some steer sticks up above the top crown, you might be able to use a 2.5mm spacer (maybe) and use a Marzocchi integrated stem. I bet that's what he was running to have such a steer tube if the fork came off of a DH bike as most of their headtubes aren't small. That'd be my only guess though. It depends on if you have any steer at all sit above the top crown when things are together or if it's flush. Either way it's a close one.

Good Luck........I feel your pain. My shiver on my FR bike, when I got it I didn't realize how short the steer tube was. I can only use low-rise stems on it. Mainly raceface or SIC/FUNN as they seem to be the lowest stack out there. I can't put a thomson or anything similar on as I don't have enough steer tube.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Spunger said:
well.........if you put the race on the fork and trail fit it, and some steer sticks up above the top crown, you might be able to use a 2.5mm spacer (maybe) and use a Marzocchi integrated stem. I bet that's what he was running to have such a steer tube if the fork came off of a DH bike as most of their headtubes aren't small. That'd be my only guess though. It depends on if you have any steer at all sit above the top crown when things are together or if it's flush. Either way it's a close one.

Good Luck........I feel your pain. My shiver on my FR bike, when I got it I didn't realize how short the steer tube was. I can only use low-rise stems on it. Mainly raceface or SIC/FUNN as they seem to be the lowest stack out there. I can't put a thomson or anything similar on as I don't have enough steer tube.
It has the integrated stem already. I'm hoping that there will be just enough to maybe use a headlock or something but I think its gonna be to close. It came off a VP free. I don't know what size but the S and M both have a 4.5" HT, mine's got a 5.5".

J

JRB

Ugh - that is certainly a bummer, but $65 and being able to use it beats the alternative. I sent a fork to Marz once, and it was back in a week. Good luck.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh no offense man kinda what ya get when you order from people off ebay. not always what you want and deffinatly dont know what your getting. ohh well good luck with it man. :thumb:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Ya, $65 (40 for the steerer, 25 for labor on a 5 minute job) :mumble:
I didn't get it off eBay, off MTBR. Its my own fault, I never asked the guy how long it was. He said it was a take-off so I just assumed it wasn't cut so much.
For whatever reason it had a steel steerer (wasn't spec'd with steel in 04) so he pressed in aluminum, save some weight. :thumb: