Quantcast

Ahhh, Otter..."Its like rain...."

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Granted the weather tools are usually wrong, but I was just looking at the 10 day forecast for Otter and I see a fair amount of rain for wed-thurs-fri.

This blows.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Yes, I know how to deal with rain, just irritating after all these years. I am going to solely take pics, ride my bike and hang with old friends...first time in a long time I am not working the otter...plus my chick wants to get out and race but seeing that her bike has cobwebs on it from the last time she rode it, makes me a little nervous to see her ride on the grease ;).

Ok, done whining like a little girl. Thanks for allowing me to be a b1tch.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It always rains at least part of the weekend.

Just like it's always super windy for the afternoon jump comp. It's always gusty in the afternoon and it seems the only reason they do it then is to keep people around. Surprising the riders don't revolt.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
bikenweed said:
That dirt dries out good and quick, anyhow.
Yeah, right, did you see the 4X course last year, there was so much water in that dirt a couple places were like a water bed.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
stiksandstones said:
Yes, I know how to deal with rain, just irritating after all these years. I am going to solely take pics, ride my bike and hang with old friends...first time in a long time I am not working the otter...plus my chick wants to get out and race but seeing that her bike has cobwebs on it from the last time she rode it, makes me a little nervous to see her ride on the grease ;).

Ok, done whining like a little girl. Thanks for allowing me to be a b1tch.
Like your girl would have trouble in any conditions. ;)
She has more wins than everyone on this board combined.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Jeremy R said:
Oh, woe is me, it may by muddy for a race.
How will one cope?

Hahaha, i hated that section...I believe stik would have been a mech at that as well...What a horrible event for snowshoe...Glad they are turning things around.

_Bill

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
bikenweed said:
Oh well, we'll deal with it. That dirt dries out good and quick, anyhow.
From what I have heard, the locals are saying that as of right now, it will take about a week of sun to dry out the trails.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Hahaha, i hated that section...I believe stik would have been a mech at that as well...What a horrible event for snowshoe...Glad they are turning things around.

_Bill
Yeah, nasty times there. I honestly do not mind working or riding in those conditions...it is what it is. But since I am going really only to take photos I do not have the same carefree mindset. I have expensive gear thats immune to rain, but I am still crying like a bitch to get it all wet ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stiksandstones said:
Yeah, nasty times there. I honestly do not mind working or riding in those conditions...it is what it is. But since I am going really only to take photos I do not have the same carefree mindset. I have expensive gear thats immune to rain, but I am still crying like a bitch to get it all wet ;)

I have the best photo EVER of you at that race, only it seems to have gone missing. Those were indeed fun, drunken times. :rofl:

edit: 1dmk2 and 300 are waterproof, quit being a little bitch and take it like a man! :)

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
stiksandstones said:

Ditto!

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
It is currently raiining pretty good today here in Monterey. I don't think the rain is as bad as last year at this time but last year it quit raining about a week out. I have been to the track to check on progress, and as of last week nothing was done yet with the 4x, and the slalom course had the three berms started.

Stik, although I live here and have raced the Otter many times, I have always missed the rain for race day. What tires worked best for you during the really wet years, specifically for the slalom and 4x?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
F.O.G said:
It is currently raiining pretty good today here in Monterey. I don't think the rain is as bad as last year at this time but last year it quit raining about a week out. I have been to the track to check on progress, and as of last week nothing was done yet with the 4x, and the slalom course had the three berms started.

Stik, although I live here and have raced the Otter many times, I have always missed the rain for race day. What tires worked best for you during the really wet years, specifically for the slalom and 4x?
The website says that Glen Jacobs is building the 4X course. I registered for the 4X solely for that reason. The 4X has been absolutely terrible the past two years. If the course sucks once again, I am going to be really pissed.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
heikkihall said:
The website says that Glen Jacobs is building the 4X course. I registered for the 4X solely for that reason. The 4X has been absolutely terrible the past two years. If the course sucks once again, I am going to be really pissed.
Alert Alert! Heikki si gonna blow a gasket!

You doing the tremblant skiier cross? It's soon I think.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Transcend said:
Alert Alert! Heikki si gonna blow a gasket!

You doing the tremblant skiier cross? It's soon I think.
Qualifying is on Friday and I dont have tickets yet, so I doubt I am going to make it. On top of that my schoolwork is doing everything it can to try and kill me right now. But... If someone wants to pay for my plane tickets I will consider it. And I will split the value of a 2007 Volkswagen GTI with you when/ if I win. :D

But in all seriousness, who is building the SeaOtter 4X?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
heikkihall said:
Qualifying is on Friday and I dont have tickets yet, so I doubt I am going to make it. On top of that my schoolwork is doing everything it can to try and kill me right now. But... If someone wants to pay for my plane tickets I will consider it. And I will split the value of a 2007 Volkswagen GTI with you when/ if I win. :D

Ah, well that could put a damper on things! Didn't realize it was this weekend.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
F.O.G said:

We tried spike (screws) on year as they worked well on grassy stuff, but they banned em...so thats out, and they are way overkill anyway. Wet screams worked well but, my riders usually rode same dry tires even if it was muddy-I was lucky, my entire career I had very low maintenance riders.
Sorry I was not much help there.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
I will try and get out there today to see what/if any work has been done. Back to the tire question, Anybody????

Stik you beat me to the punch, thanks.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
heikkihall said:
Sounds like Glenn 'designed' it, but maybe will not be on hand to build? I am not sure about that, but reminds me of a taiwanese bike with "designed in the USA" sticker. ;)

Hope he is there, would love to see that ole bugga.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
stiksandstones said:
Granted the weather tools are usually wrong, but I was just looking at the 10 day forecast for Otter and I see a fair amount of rain for wed-thurs-fri.

This blows.
Whats new, right? Sea Otter and West Virginia = raining :(

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The best tire that I have ever run on wet grassy slalom is the Maxxis swamp thing. Corners like its on rails and you can give it a little pressure so it rolls at the same time.

Dave

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dw said:
The best tire that I have ever run on wet grassy slalom is the Maxxis swamp thing. Corners like its on rails and you can give it a little pressure so it rolls at the same time.

Dave
I see your swamp thing, and raise you a panaracer spike.

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
we can expect the 4x course to be **** again, things dry our faster than you might think on the surface, but remember last year? We had a nastry winter and there were sink holes everywhere. A truck fell into one near my friends campsite and it sank to the bumper...

-Ryan

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Oh wait I get it, it's an Alanis reference - ironic right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, the best course designer on the planet will have a difficult time building anything that will last in the sand out there.