Quantcast

$$ Aid for Whitebreads only...

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
http://media.www.dailyfreepress.com/media/storage/paper87/news/2006/11/21/News/Bu.Group.Offers.White.Scholarship-2505837.shtml?sourcedomain=www.dailyfreepress.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

so what do y'all :monkey:s think?

Award meant to protest race-based scholarships
Clarissa Bottesini
Issue date: 11/21/06 Section: News

Looking to draw attention to what they call the "worst form of bigotry confronting America today," Boston University's College Republicans are circulating an application for a "Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship" that requires applicants be at least 25 percent Caucasian.

"Did we do this to give a scholarship to white kids? Of course not," the scholarship reads. "Did we do it to trigger a discussion on what we believe to be the morally wrong practice of basing decisions in our schools and our jobs on racial preferences rather than merit? Absolutely."

The scholarship, which is privately funded by the BUCR without the support of the university, is meant to raise awareness, group members say. BUCR member argue that racial preferences are a form of "bigotry." The group has a similar view on affirmative action.

The application for the $250 scholarship, due Nov. 30, requires applicants be full-time BU undergraduate students and one-fourth Caucasian and maintain at least a 3.2 cumulative GPA. Applicants must submit two essays, one describing the applicant's ancestry and one describing "what it means to you to be a Caucasian-American today."

BUCR President Joe Mroszczyk said he spoke to Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore before publicly releasing the scholarship to make sure it would be legal. Mroszczyk said BUCR members also talked to others beforehand, some of whom were initially "agitated or upset" but understood the point after members explained themselves, he said.

"If you give out a white scholarship, it's racist, and if you give out a Hispanic scholarship, it is OK," the College of Arts and Sciences senior said. "It is the main point. We are not doing this scholarship as a white-supremacy scholarship."

La Fuerza Co-Chair Sara-Marie Pons, who is also on the Admissions Student Diversity Board, said although she agrees with BUCR's claim that racial preference is "contradictory to our American ideals of freedom and equality," she feels American history justifies today's affirmative action." Our country oppressed people of color for centuries while everyone else who was 'preferred' continued to succeed and lead our country in all aspects," the School of Management senior said in an email. "The goal of a university in striving to admit more students of color is a positive movement to increase the diversity of its institution."
Pons said the university's diversity creates a "better learning environment" and "dynamic discussion." She said she believes minority-specific scholarships serve an important function.

"While I can see the controversy over scholarships toward specific ethnic groups, we need to keep in mind its intention," she said. "The [group-specific] scholarship is there to increase the interest of students in that group to continue their education and reach the equality that we all strive for."

After the recipient is chosen, BUCR plans to host an event to honor the winner and speak about the award, as well as hold a forum discussion about racial preference, Mroszczyk said.

Mroszczyk said the BUCR borrowed the scholarship idea from the College Republicans at Roger Williams University in Bristol, R.I., which sponsored a similar award in 2003. Former RWU College Republicans President Jason Mattera said the "whites-only" scholarship was meant to be a parody, but it brought harsh media attention to their campus.

Mattera, now the Young American's Foundation National Spokesman, a group supporting the conservative movement, said the idea was spurred when RWU administrators "compiled a list of scholarships for people of color only." Although Mattera, a Puerto Rican, would have been eligible for some of these scholarships, he said he still wanted to "expose the inequities."

RWU College Republicans adviser June Speakman said the organization started receiving complaints as soon as it released the scholarship. Despite protests, 15 students applied for the scholarship.

"It was a way to make their protests highly visible, provocative," she said. "They stuck to their guns. They were steadfast."

Speakman said the scholarship was discontinued after its first year when the national and state Republican parties severed ties with RWU College Republicans.

Mattera said people were aware the scholarship had "nothing to do with racism," but the Republican National Committee still did not want to be affiliated with the scholarship.

"The RNC under [former chair] Ed Gillespie disagreed with me," Mattera said. "For Ed Gillespie to be dismissive or to imply that there was racism, he lacked any type of -- to put it bluntly -- balls in standing up against racial preferences. It would have been a great opportunity."

Regarding BU's adaptation of this scholarship, Mattera said he is glad the BUCR is interested in continuing to promote awareness.

"I guarantee that once this happens, be ready for hypocritical charges of racism, and be ready to be attacked," Mattera said, "but once they attack you, the hypocrisy is exposed."

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Stupid idea but folks have the right to shell over their money for whatever they want.
:stupid:

But you can't expect much from Republicans who don't get it.

Is affirmative action wrong? Of course.

Is it needed to try to balance things out? Yes.

That's sad.

However, I think affrimative action should NOT be allowed in cases where other people's lives are on the line, like doctors and cops.

There's a cop here who would NOT be on the force except for the fact that he's half-Hawaiian. Same cop injured an innocent person and shot and killed a retarded kid who was threatening him from 20' away with a butter knife.

Affirmative action has it's place, unfortunately. Just not every place.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
does your reply imply that you agree with A.A. and preferentially based admissions policies?
Like Lord O'pie said. I don't particularly like the policies but it helps even out current disparity caused by bad official policies of the past.

There is no question in my mind that it is easier to be successfully in every aspect of your life if your parents have also been successfully. There are kids of college age today whose parents could have been prevented from succeeding simply because of their race. Realistically A.A should be stopped in a generation or so.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'll make a trade: No more race based scholarships or affirmative action as long as legacy admissions, sports scholarships, and primary and secondary school funding is equalized...

I wonder if anyone would make that deal?

(As an aside: If you want a quick and dirty test to see if someone is an asshole...if the words "College Republicans" appear anywhere on their CV, that's a good indication.)

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
I'll make a trade: No more race based scholarships or affirmative action as long as legacy admissions, sports scholarships, and primary and secondary school funding is equalized...

I wonder if anyone would make that deal?

(As an aside: If you want a quick and dirty test to see if someone is an asshole...if the words "College Republicans" appear anywhere on their CV, that's a good indication.)
why did i just get a mental image of david spade ? in the movie PCU?

legacy admissions --> total bs i agree
sports scholarships --> there is soo much money wrapped up in college athletics, that is about as likely to happen as lobbyists leaving washington

school funding, thats a tough one, property taxes fund a lot of it and i can understand why the peeps that pay it, want it to stay in their respective area. especially the way some locale govts are a$$ raping their constituency (sp???) with tax rates

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Back when I was still in college, I thought affirmative action was something that was beneficial in the past, but was simply something that was not needed now.
My first year on the job, my father and I went to enroll a group health case at this lumber yard in the middle of nowhere.
The owner had a successful business and was telling us how he and his 6 workers worked to the bone. My father asked him why he did not just hire more people, and the owner looked up at us and said,
"Because the state says if I hire another person it has to be a n*****." Then he just kept on writing like what he said was perfectly normal.
I changed my mind on that subject that very day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Back when I was still in college, I thought affirmative action was something that was beneficial in the past, but was simply something that was not needed now.
My first year on the job, my father and I went to enroll a group health case at this lumber yard in the middle of nowhere.
The owner had a successful business and was telling us how he and his 6 workers worked to the bone. My father asked him why he did not just hire more people, and the owner looked up at us and said,
"Because the state says if I hire another person it has to be a n*****." Then he just kept on writing like what he said was perfectly normal.
I changed my mind on that subject that very day.

That story has seems to be a bit ironic. It sucks that the guy is basically told who he has to hire but at the same time he seems to be a racist who will not hire a black person. To me that seems to make AA reasonable.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
That story has seems to be a bit ironic. It sucks that the guy is basically told who he has to hire but at the same time he seems to be a racist who will not hire a black person. To me that seems to make AA reasonable.
I think people would be alot less jaded about it if it werent mandated, personally. Not saying AA doesnt have some positive benefits...I just cant think of any that are fair.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I think people would be alot less jaded about it if it werent mandated, personally. Not saying AA doesnt have some positive benefits...I just cant think of any that are fair.
My biggest problem with it is that it doesn't tie the racial quotas to income...putting more of Bill Cosby's kids into college isn't exactly helping poor inner city or rural communities and students out.

I'd like to see AA based on race removed and replaced with one that helps out students in poverty.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
My biggest problem with it is that it doesn't tie the racial quotas to income...putting more of Bill Cosby's kids into college isn't exactly helping poor inner city or rural communities and students out.

I'd like to see AA based on race removed and replaced with one that helps out students in poverty.
Agree totally.:cheers:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

That would be a much better system but the poverty lobby gives ****ty campaign contributions. Cheap ****ers.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
If it wasn't mandated it would have no use. It would be like the proclamation that Congress passed last week Recognizing the Contributions of the Christmas Tree Industry.

****ing retarded.
Haha, tax dollars well spent there.

..and yeah, I realize it would be useless if not mandated, Im just saying that it pisses people off to be forced to do anything really. If there were say, tax credits instead, well hey, maybe people would be more accepting. I dunno.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
I say the same thing I said to the "Diversity instructor" that came into work.

Diversity is not something exclusive to color. All it is, is people with different experiences and views. To think that 2 white people cannot be diverse is quite frankly, racist and offensive. As to discrimination, none of us today would have jobs had someone not been discriminated against for being less qualified than us based on skills written on a piece of paper, and our appearance and demeanor at the interview. Discrimination will exist until there is a single person on the face of the earth(which coincidentally will be the same time frame that war and violence will exist). It is human nature for people to judge. So, please, put your movie away and let me get the hell back to work.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
school funding, thats a tough one, property taxes fund a lot of it and i can understand why the peeps that pay it, want it to stay in their respective area. especially the way some locale govts are a$$ raping their constituency (sp???) with tax rates

I understand, but there are major flaws in the property tax system, because the taxes are based on property values people in "rich" districts pay a very small percentage of their property value and total income, while those in "poor" districts may pay several times as much (relative to income/property values) and still end up under funded Crap schools.

The real problem has more to do with poverty than race. If your parents were poor, your odd of being poor are overwhelming. If you parents are well off, you'll probably be well off, regardless of race. It happens that because of past policies most of the poor people are non-white. But if you are white and poor, well you're doubly screwed. A large part of this is due to the seperate but unequal schools systems that the property tax system has caused.

I have a friend (white) who married a hispanic, her children are half hispanic so they are claiming it on all their college apps. She and her husband clear over 200K a year, both children go to private school. In what world do her children need affirmative action?

In the end I think that race and sex based affirmative action has just about run it's course. I can't see how how it will last more than another ten years or so, ath which point we'll be seeing the great grand-children, and great great grand-children of adults in the civil right movements in college.