Quantcast

Aint Always What You Got That Counts

Old_Dude

Monkey
I've learned a little bit about XC mountain biking during the last year. To borrow some of my favorite quotes from Ned Overend's book regarding recreational XC mountain bike racing "Mountain Bike Like A Champion", page 156 " . . . if your bike isn't light enough (under 26 pounds) or reliable enough for competition, you should upgrade to a model in the midprice range, say $900 to $1,200. You could spend a lot less or a lot more, but in this range you get durability and performance that should let you get the most out of your developing skill. In other words, the bike won't hold you back. Beginners don't really need to spend more, because as bike prices increase, refinements become less noticeable. . . . As you move beyond $1,500 or so, the improvements aren't cost-effective for recreational racers."

And as for boosting performance via weight reduction, Ned says on page 157 " . . . A lighter bike climbs better, of course, but there's more to it than that. Concentrate on the parts that rotate. The lighter they are, the less energy it takes to keep them turning. That's why wheels are key. You can buy racing wheels with lightweight rims and spokes; or you can improve your present wheels by installing lighter tires & tubes."

And finally, also on page 158 "You also need to consider the durability of any weight-saving item. Even though upgrade parts are usually expensive, they may break more easily or wear out sooner because they're so light. If you have a limited amount of money, you don't want to have to replace your replacement parts."

There's no doubt the advantages of dual suspension are numerous & worthwhile, and I fully enjoyed my FS XC bike, but my next XC bike will be a hardtail - I enjoy the simplicity, the lighter weight, better climbing and lower cost. So, my point? You don't have to have a FS XC bike in order to win races or have tons of fun on trails - most XC races are still won on hardtails & with V-brakes.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
What you have should be practical for what you ride. I own two mountain bikes now (Burly Bullit for aggressive play, GT I-drive for epics), but for a long time i owned just one, and would buy a bike that would be an all purpose kinda ride. But if your riding double track in the desert in the summer why do you need hydraulic disc brakes? If your chunkin down a rocky mountain why do you need to be concerned about weight. Biking is trendy it's funny, it's helped in evolutionizing this sport to where you can buy some fantastic bikes now. But ultimately it's your decision on if you want to use your hard earned cash to fit the bill for Mt. Biking research and development all for the sake of trend.

Old_Dude

Monkey
I guess one of my points is simply that the single most important factor in the mountain biking experience is the rider, not the machine. Obviously, a bike meeting some sort of minimum standard is required (maybe for non-extreme stuff, a $400 bike might do okay for a while - but my minimum bike would include an air assist fork, and LX shifters with XT rear derailleur (which is a sweet combination, compared to what you'd get in the $400 price range).

Weight is important, sure, but again, most people shouldn't be fanatical about it. Just go out and have a great time - that's what it's all about.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yes wieght is important for xc racing and most xc epic. Those extra pounds add up climbing those 3000 foot elevation gain forest roads in 5 miles(I know 32 lb and 37 lb). I think my point is that for xc or trailriding or dh (all the same to me, kinda) where you live, what trails you ride, what circuits you race, will influence how light your rims should be(as an example). If you're riding smooth flat trails look to go light, if it's rooty rocky go sturdier. Old Dude your right on the money on the most important factors. Being that the rider is the most important factor, not the machine. But having fun in Mt. Bike Riding has alot to do with riding on a machine that best suits the type of xc riding you do(there's alot of variance in country that you have to cross in different areas).
Above all of this I would say to a beginner, whatever bike with whatever parts you decide to buy, make sure it fits you.:)