Quantcast

Air Assist

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I took in my Sherman Jumper to the LBS to put in my new spring. The guy working there in a smart ass tone said "Does that thing have air assist?" I said no. He said "Oh, well thats ****, you're going to trash that thing." I thought it was an ass hole comment but he really didn't have anything positive to say. Also, about a IH Porter being a XC bike for bigger guys. Is it true about the air assist though?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
kidwoo said:
Is what true about air assist?

That it's a bunch of asterisks?

And what about a porter being used for an xc bike?

Did you hit your head again?
He didn't give me facts. He just said I was going to trash The Jumper because it didn't have air assist.. I didn't know what he ment so I thought I would ask. I know about the Porter, that guy was just a douche bag. And.. no, I didn't hit my head again. I was wondering about the Jumper and it's durability now. Or was that guy just saying that because he is true whore bag?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ThePriceSeliger said:
He didn't give me facts. He just said I was going to trash The Jumper because it didn't have air assist.. I didn't know what he ment so I thought I would ask. I know about the Porter, that guy was just a douche bag. And.. no, I didn't hit my head again. I was wondering about the Jumper and it's durability now. Or was that guy just saying that because he is true whore bag?
All air assist does is act like an additional spring........an air spring.

If you're bottoming your fork then it might do some good since it does give a little bit of progressiveness.. You can get the top cap from manitou. OR you can just get a stiffer spring.

If your fork feels fine and you're not smacking the bottom of it regularly, I wouldn't worry about it. And find a new shop to go to for advice.

As far as riding a porter on trails, it's beefier than most xc hardtails and you should find a new shop to go to for advice.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
kidwoo said:
As far as riding a porter on trails, it's beefier than most xc hardtails and you should find a new shop to go to for advice.
Not even advice, I have the frame, and he saw it, and was like "What do you use that for?" He thought it was just a big XC bike. Dumbass. He claimed to know who Eric Porter was and though he was a good XC rider.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
ThePriceSeliger said:
Not even advice, I have the frame, and he saw it, and was like "What do you use that for?" He thought it was just a big XC bike. Dumbass. He claimed to know who Eric Porter was and though he was a good XC rider.

thats pretty funny, was this a CT shop, where?
air assist really helps the progressiveness of the fork but can make a fork pretty harsh, at least thats what i experienced with marz djers