Quantcast

Air Build up in 888

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Just like my motocross fork my '08 888 builds up air pressure inside the legs during a day of riding. This makes the fork get stiffer and use less travel. Motocross forks have bleeder buttons but the 888 requires me to remove the clicker knobs and loosen the top caps to let out the pressure. This is a pain to do daily and since I have a road trip coming up I'd like to reduce daily maintenance. There is an o-ring at the top of the threads on the top cap. If I remove this do you think air pressure can escape past the threads? Do you think oil will leak if the fork is upside down?

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
good chance you'll leak oil if you take out the o-ring. I get air pressure build up on my totem in the lowers, just have to vent it after a while.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i just backed off the top cap on my 888 to try and let some of the air out. i didnt hear anything, but im going out today and try and ride it to see if it made a difference on my fork. im also backing out the virtual air adjustment all the way to see if that makes any difference too

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If you have the coil sprung 888 a little air build up could help bottom-out feel. However, the ATA model already has a very progressive spring rate (even with PAR removed and the volume adjuster backed out) so as the air builds up I notice the second half of travel getting very stiff.