Quantcast

Air compressors

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i inherited a decent sized craftsman (older model) when my FIL died. for how often i really need it i couldn't imagine spending over a grand on one, but your usage needs may differ from mine.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@johnbryanpeters i guess it really comes down to how much you use it/what you use it for. i have a smallish craftsman 125psi/4 gal/.75hp pancake compressor that was a fraction of the cost of that thing that suits my needs just fine....

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I bought one very similar to it when I bought first house about 14 years ago. The guy loading it at Home Depot broke the pallet broke due to his lack of forklift skills and dropped it on the roof of my Toyota. It was totally his fault but I told his manager the pallet failed. It was a junkyard truck anyway. I had a friend right up a quote a hundred bucks less than HD limit. Got the air compressor, my truck fixed and 700 bucks.

Compressor still works great and always kept up with air tools, even a due grinder and my plasma cutter. I do have it under cover. It is a noisy fucker though. I used the breaker as a switch so it wouldn’t bug me at random times. Some fancier ones have automatic water drains which I always thought was cool.

I bought one very similar to it when I bought first house about 14 years ago. The guy loading it at Home Depot broke the pallet broke due to his lack of forklift skills and dropped it on the roof of my Toyota. It was totally his fault but I told his manager the pallet failed. It was a junkyard truck anyway. I had a friend right up a quote a hundred bucks less than HD limit. Got the air compressor, my truck fixed and 700 bucks.

Compressor still works great and always kept up with air tools, even a due grinder and my plasma cutter. I do have it under cover. It is a noisy fucker though. I used the breaker as a switch so it wouldn’t bug me at random times. Some fancier ones have automatic water drains which I always thought was cool.
I always drain the tank after I use mine. I want some storage volume for blowing out water lines in the fall, and have some air tools that the current compressor, a single cylinder portable, can't keep up with. It's also continuously pissing air from one of the controls, haven't managed to isolate it.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I always drain the tank after I use mine. I want some storage volume for blowing out water lines in the fall, and have some air tools that the current compressor, a single cylinder portable, can't keep up with. It's also continuously pissing air from one of the controls, haven't managed to isolate it.
I’m curious how that’ll work blowing out the water lines. I have one I planned to use for that but my neighbor shows up with a trailer mounted type used with a jackhammer.

I added an extension before install to make draining the water easier.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That looks awesome, I'd love something like that.

My memory sucks but we used to overhaul truck compressors and I think a lot of the efficiency came back by just taking the head off and flattening whichever surface the reed valves sealed on.

We got one in the workshop today off a merc so I should have a look to refresh my memory.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I have a similar compressor with porter cable name on it. When I DiD mY oWN rEsEarCh, I found that many of the larger brand compressor use very similar components and I happened to find the “porter cable” on sale. I’ve had mine 10 years, I wouldn’t want any smaller of a tank when running air tools.