Quantcast

Air Force: We're At The Breaking Point

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Officials Seeks Billions To Upgrade Air Force's Aging Office Chairs, I mean Aircraft.

Link.

I would hate to be the PotUS that has to approve/disapprove of that repair bill.

An extra $20 billion each year over the next five - beginning with an Air Force budget of about $137 billion in 2009 instead of the $117 billion proposed by the Bush administration - would solve that problem, according to Selva and other senior Air Force officers.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
that's the equivalent of buying a happy meal on your credit card when you've already maxed it out anyway.
:stupid:

Whats $20 billion more? Our equipment is being used up more quickly than originally planned (due to the wars), we have to bite the bullet and pay for replacements

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Well, we'd have more jets if the air force had tighter security to keep the 16 year olds, who aren't playing xbox, from stealing their fighter planes on irresponsible missions.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
freekin AF:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20080222/us_time/theairforcereachesforthesky

there's the line item seeking 100,600 handguns (there are 330,000 people in the Air Force) featuring "improved ergonomic design and higher caliber effectiveness" at $1,157 a pop. The service also wants 210,000 M-4 carbines at $1,747 a clip. For years, the Air Force has complained about the Army having its own air force. Now, at long last, the Army may be able to complain about the Air Force having its own army.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Its really just because I am getting a raise...suck it up princesses!

And Manimal, whatshisname in Iron Eagle was not an irresponsible 16 year old. He was a hack 20 something actor, PLAYING an irresponsible 16 year ole. Geez, get it right...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Let's add $1.2 billion to that bill

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23302483/

A B-2 stealth bomber crashed Saturday at an air base on Guam, but both pilots ejected safely and were in good condition, the Air Force said.

It was the first crash of a B-2 bomber, said Capt. Sheila Johnston, a spokeswoman for Air Combat Command at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia.
Each B-2 bomber costs about $1.2 billion to build.
Though it is the first one that has been lost.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yeah, 117, not B2. Thats what I get or not reading the article and drunk posting!
They can all be detected, to some extent. Its the aircrafts radar profile that is the "stealth" issue.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If I recall, the f117 was flying low in broad daylight and was hit with an Sa-6 gainful SAM. They were flying the sam ingress and egress routes day in and day out and the serbs camped out and waited for one.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
I think it was said to be shot down during the night and was tracked by slightly modified 1950s radar. I remember reading the interesting story of hungarian baker commanding the unit which shot down the plane and managed to survive the war without losses. However it's quite impressive story, even if only half of it is true.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
If I recall, the f117 was flying low in broad daylight and was hit with an Sa-6 gainful SAM. They were flying the sam ingress and egress routes day in and day out and the serbs camped out and waited for one.
i also think they would fire masses of unaimed AA and SAMS in an attempt to hit something...

that time they got lucky.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
its also to pay for all the cable tv and air conditioning in the barracks... errr Dorms... in SW Asia...
Oh man, the AF Barracks I went to in Hawaii had a paid security guard and janitors.

WTF?

Private security for the military?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Oh man, the AF Barracks I went to in Hawaii had a paid security guard and janitors.

WTF?

Private security for the military?
oh yeah... gotta keep the riff-raff out..

i know an Army officer who lived in his humvee for weeks during gulf war.. only to be sent to the rear to a 'bare bones' AF base.. while they had single person air conditioned dorms, pools, a self contained Pizza Hut in a conex box they didnt have cable tv...