Quantcast

air fork and "popping" off jumps

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
So yesterday I was riding in Chicago at some trails and I was struggling getting over this one set. I had a similar hang up in CO when I went out there. Now I'm not trying to say that I'm an amazing trail rider, I am not, but I have been jumping for a long time and I'm pretty tuned to what I'm supposed to do.

Anyway, my point, people watching (at both venues) said that I was popping off the lips (which is funny because I have a race background and I don't pull up at all, I usually just push through). One of the guys yesterday hopped on my bike and said it felt like the suspension was popping off the lips (hence why I was going up, not out).

I have an argyle 409, dropped to 2" and the thing is pumped up to about 180psi. I really can't move it if I put all my weight on it, but I know it does move a little as I ride (my stanchions are clean).

So, my question. I like the suspension fork on my Tonic, but besides getting a rigid do any of you have a suggestion on how to control that "popping" off jumps that it seems to be creating? I have overcome it and actually as long as I can snag my speed and pump hard on stuff it all works out, I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced this and have any suggestions (like should I just put more air in it?)

Thanks, guys.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
rebound adjustment? too much air pressure? I had a crappy air fork a while ago, and if i pumped it up to higher than max, the rebound got all crazy and it did what your fork does, however, mine was an "EXR comp" and not an argyle

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
yeah id say mess with your rebound maybe? i have the same fork but dropped to 80mm and i run it at about 200psi, its stiff, and i can boost jumps pretty good. dont you want to catch more air? just go faster man and keep boostin. happy trails

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I'm fine boosting off of stuff, but perhaps it because I'm used to my 20" and having a bit less feedback. I'm 170lbs as well, in case that matters.

Basik, where do you have your rebound? Compression? I understand if you like popping off, but do you feel that your fork does factor into some of that? I'm just trying to consolidate the issue and decide if its me or the bike. Hopefully I will be back at those trails again soon on my 20" and I can compare. I guess I always thought that suspension forks absorbed the lips and made it easier to push through.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
i got my compression bout 3 clicks clockwise(STIFFER-CLOSED) and the gate is setup to where when you run full compression the fork is pretty much locked out. rebound isnt really fast. im about 188-190 pounds, and when im ridin trails my fork feels pretty much rigid cept for landin

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
jesus made rebound damping for a reason

I think it's mark 2:17 or something but goes a little like "thou shalt not set up thy fork to go boingy boingy"

Something like that.
True story! (except Jesus actually said "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." in that passage).

I end up following Zach Danks lead (from his littermag interview) in that department, pull the fork out of the box, pump it up and throw it on the bike. I worked in shops for over 12 years and I'm just at a point where I don't like to tinker, just ride.

Guilty, I am a "tool" :thumb: