Quantcast

air shock for SX Trail?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
I know this has been asked before but it seems like with all the new long travel trail and enduro bikes on the market that maybe someone has an air shock that'll fit my sx trail now. I know...buy a new bike and whatnot but unfortunately that isn't an option for me. Any ideas?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
pick a shock, see if it's available in the right i2i and stroke, and that the mounting holes on the shock work with your frame.

IIRC some of the late model sxt's had a weird proprietary mounting yoke - if this is the case this will really limit your options. what year is your frame?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
I honestly dont know what year. Silver and black. Has the Fox pro pedal dhx coil rear shock.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
That year of frame uses a 9x2.75 iirc, strange size, but otherwise "normal" shock. You'll have to remove the rear bushing of the new shock to make it work.
If you go with the more common 8.75x2.75 size in an air shock, you could keep your geometry the same by using the "steep" geometry adjusting shock mount chips.

a buddy of mine just put a 8.75x2.5 fox air shock on his and loves it.
http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=bike&t=shocks&p=99202&ref=filter
He used the "steep" geometry chips to make up for the 1/4" shorter shock, and his bike is permanently in the "slack" position, with a bit less travel. His is an '08- same as yours, but it feels great- pretty plush off the top- I was impressed.

Last bit of caution, I had an 07 enduro, with what I believe to be a similar leverage curve as your bike. at 200# with gear/pack/etc, it necessitated running a higher pressure than the shock could go to, which is why I switched to a coil on that bike.

So if you're light, id say go for it. If you're not, I'd maybe get a TI spring and a fancy avalanche tune instead. Good luck!

Last edited: