Quantcast

air shocks for DH

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Isn't the Sunday designed to use a progressive shock? So an air shock might be complementary to the suspension geometry of a Sunday letting you adjust HSC separately?
Yeah I was saying that earlier, I think the shock matches the frame to a tee. I've been pretty impressed with how the shock in completely stock guise works in there. Have gone back and forth between coil and air a bit, and the other thing I liked about the air is that there's little to no oscillation after a compression, which the coil shock seemed to have a lot of in comparison.

Not sure what you mean by being able to adjust the HSC separately, do you mean bottom out adjustment? Or changing the HSC via the main piston's shimstack?

Out of curiosity - do you know what changes your tuning centre made internally? The most I've done is changing the shim configuration (HSR/HSC) on the main piston and changing oil weight. I've been pretty comfortable with how the propedal/boost valve work in stock guise.

Oct 14, 2007
Do you have any other examples of bikes that wouldn't benefit or would feel somewhat worse with an air shock?

Apr 22, 2008
Rotorua, NZ
Yes, the pressure will increase. Whether or not it increases enough to be an issue will depend on the rider, the bike, and the terrain.
Running two air shocks for DH application is better than one air or coil shock for that matter. Most current air shocks just cant handle the demands of modern day DH and suffer somewhere along the way (this is why the big dogs still run coil over air for the most part), 2 airshocks helps remedy some of the shortcomings of one shock. Some more benifits to running 2 air shocks are infinite tuning adjustability, longer shock wear life, overall less stress on frame shock mounts exclusive of massive G outs. Overall you have to complicate frame design abit but once shocks are adjusted you can go from course to course without having to make major changes to shock set up since you can tune to handle every range thrown at the bike. DH air shocks have come a long way but until I see everyone on WC running them I will stick to running two, keep my bases covered.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Wait, I'm not a world cup caliber racer?

Damn, there goes that asperation...

JDA

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I had a 08 DHX air shock in my glory for last seasons state series (AUS) and found it very good performance wise and got some of my best results to date. I know its no where near WC level but its still pretty competitive.

At the end of the season I went to whistler for a month of riding and gave it some heavy abuse, about 3 weeks in I noticed the rebound was speeding up very slightly towards the bottom of a run but it was no big deal, I used to notice this with my coil too on longer runs (7 min +). I'm comparing the speed here from pushing down on the shock at the top of the run and watching how fast it rebounds and then checking again at the bottom. Anyway I just ran the rebound a little slower to start so it was perfect once warmed up.

When i got home I had air in the oil, I'm not sure how this happened, I didn't de-pressurize the shock before flying over and I didnt before going home either, could this be the reason?

So I sent it off to fix this and got some shims added whilst there to stop it going through the travel so fast and letting me run less pressure in the boost valve (this is how I explained to the bike shop so I have no idea what they actually did).

Anyway I will be running it again for the next season of racing, I think it performs well for DH.