Quantcast

airborne

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
SideWinder is the trail that splits off of Magic Carpet that Max was talking about. you'll know when you are on sidewinder, it is a bunch of switchbacks. if you stay on Sidewinder it will take you back to MC. about 4 switchbacks down Sidewinder there is another splt and that is Airborne or as my friends and i refer to it, Old Shore Trail. A couple of years ago there were some shore style bridges and drops and a see-saw thing on that trail. So Old Shore Trail is Airborne except Old Shore cuts off Airborne about half way down. The Airborne frame that used to be up on a tree was right where Airborne connects with Chupacabra, just above Dead Campers.
maybe that will clear things up. or maybe it will confuse things more. oh well.

i just read the posts on the Magic Carpets thread. maybe people will get pist at me for giving directions to this trail in detail but i didn't think it was a big deal. it's not like these trails are secret. i ride there almost everyday and have been for about five years now. they aren't going anywhere and if somebody wants to know about them then i will tell them if they already know where the trails are and if they want to ride.

Raacerx

Monkey
Oh man, so what the hell is the name of the trail Im talking about? Jim I'll just have to show you. Its my fav trail back there. It starts over by Sweetness and Magic Carpets but ends at the bottom of Dead Campers. But there really arent any switchbacks or anything. Definitely reminds me of riding in Squamish and other BC spots (no stunts or anything, just flowey hillside ****).

The ONLY trail I know the true name of is dead campers. all the other ones Ive heard called 5-6 different things.

Chupacabra, off of Dead Campers (like 1/3 down to the left), is pretty damn fun too. Its similar to the trail I was talking about originally and calling Airborne.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'm with Max, the only name we all seem to know for sure is DC, what everyone is now callin MC I thought was "Sweetness" or "Tent" trail. I thought MC was one trail to riders right of what I called "Sweetness" and then Sick & Twisted/Sidewinder next to that...

I give up!

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
max the trail you are thinking of is called world cup (at least i know it as that) there are 2 steep hills on it. and to get on the trail you have to go over an old rusted pipe that is right after you turn off the fire road.

i cant go for a ride this weekend because i am going out of town

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
punkassean said:
I'm with Max, the only name we all seem to know for sure is DC, what everyone is now callin MC I thought was "Sweetness" or "Tent" trail. I thought MC was one trail to riders right of what I called "Sweetness" and then Sick & Twisted/Sidewinder next to that...

I give up!
you're right. i don't know why people call "Sweetness" MC. it seems like people that don't know the trails just call everything MC. i've never heard sweetness called tent, though.

and no, i doubt max was talking about World Cup. by the way if any of you hear somebody call 'World Cup', 'Peabody' punch them in the d**k because 'World Cup' is way cooler than 'Peabody'
I'm pretty sure he was talking about airborne, it's just that most people don't take Sidewinder to get to it, there is another 'entrance' to it that is about 50 ft. above where Sidewinder connects to Airborne.

I think it would be a good idea to make little signs. i know there used to be little wooden carved signs on trees on pretty much all the trails but the rangers took them down. on second thought, people might get all pissy because signs would attract more attention to the trails. whatever.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
methinks a simple map is in order, that way we could distribute it at our discretion. Unless of course people were inclined to apply this new fangled "Xerox" (whatever the feck that means?) technology to it and mass distribute it!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
B_LOWrider said:
or we could call them what we call them and not worry about it.
in honor of your request, I shall henceforth refer to the trail formerly known as "Sweetness" as the "Doushebag Express" and "Dead Campers" shall be "Reincarnated Campers", let's see... "Sidewinder" is now "God Damn I'm Tired of Turning" and well, um "Mail Box" is now "Mostly Flat but Occasionally Steep" trail. There, how's that?

Dude, the point of a name is for reference, how can we sit around and e-bike or e-bullshat about riding when we don't even know where each other is talking about??? :thumb:

B_LOWrider said:
or we could call them what we call them and not worry about it.
Havn't you ever tried to explain directions to a trail? If there is not uniform names for the trails you have to use landmarks like "That big rock on the left" or something. If someone had GPS, it wouldn't really be all that hard to make a map. Look at www.gutsploder.com all of their maps were made using GPS.

Btw, is MC and sweetness the same thing or what. With a name like sweetness, it sounds pretty promising...

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
To add to the confusion:

- "Sweetness" is also referred to as "Aladdin" by those of us who have been riding it for a while. Get it? "Magic Carpet" and "Aladdin"! BTW, I have never heard this trail referred to as MC until recently on this board. To me, MC was the the split to the left of where Sidewinder starts (and we can all agree on that trail name, until a couple years ago there was a sign posted right before the switchbacks start), then intersecting the bottom of Sidewinder again at the big stump, then straight down from there. Sick and Twisted takes the left just down from the stump and goes through the area with the teeter.

- I have heard that the "old shore" or "airborne" trail (the one that used to have tons of north shore style ladders on it about 3 years ago) used to be called "chutes and ladders". Makes sense, because that's what it consisted of, so that's what I call it. Maybe it should be "chutes without ladders" now.

As far as maps go, I say skip it. You know as soon as one gets made it's only a matter of time before it's floating all over the internet and more people are riding the trails. Who cares if we all call the trails by different names... if you ride here, you know the landmarks and can figure it out.

(Plus GPS doesn't work too well in the dense trees out there... I already tried it a while back :))

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
jimw said:
To add to the confusion:

- "Sweetness" is also referred to as "Aladdin" by those of us who have been riding it for a while. Get it? "Magic Carpet" and "Aladdin"! BTW, I have never heard this trail referred to as MC until recently on this board. To me, MC was the the split to the left of where Sidewinder starts (and we can all agree on that trail name, until a couple years ago there was a sign posted right before the switchbacks start), then intersecting the bottom of Sidewinder again at the big stump, then straight down from there. Sick and Twisted takes the left just down from the stump and goes through the area with the teeter.

- I have heard that the "old shore" or "airborne" trail (the one that used to have tons of north shore style ladders on it about 3 years ago) used to be called "chutes and ladders". Makes sense, because that's what it consisted of, so that's what I call it. Maybe it should be "chutes without ladders" now.

As far as maps go, I say skip it. You know as soon as one gets made it's only a matter of time before it's floating all over the internet and more people are riding the trails. Who cares if we all call the trails by different names... if you ride here, you know the landmarks and can figure it out.

(Plus GPS doesn't work too well in the dense trees out there... I already tried it a while back :))
I agree 100% with your trailname accuracy. This is what I was taught the trailnames to be.
It seems that when the Aptos boys come over here they call the trails whatever they want. The problem is, they are so much better than us, when thy goof up the names we're too intimidated to correct them. It's like when Barry Bonds signs your baseball, "To Mitch, have a homerun day!" and you have no clue who "mitch" is. Do you tell him? Not really. Now everybody calls you Mitch instead.

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
El_Chimichanga said:
I agree 100% with your trailname accuracy. This is what I was taught the trailnames to be.
It seems that when the Aptos boys come over here they call the trails whatever they want. The problem is, they are so much better than us, when thy goof up the names we're too intimidated to correct them. It's like when Barry Bonds signs your baseball, "To Mitch, have a homerun day!" and you have no clue who "mitch" is. Do you tell him? Not really. Now everybody calls you Mitch instead.
pretty much. how can you argue with ET or Keene? especially after they put so much work into Sweetness, which they refer to as MC. and IronJim, MC and Sweetness are two different trails. some of the Aptos kids, MCCaul, Jeremy and a couple others wanted to call Chupacabra 'Blind Pizza'. there's a story behind that but i won't get into it.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
now i want to know what the story is about how they got the name "blind pizza".

and if they arent the same trail then witch is witch. i have some friends that call "MC" "Sweentness". so if they arent the same thing what trail is "Sweetness"

Raacerx

Monkey
This is sooo funny. I rather like no one knowing the true names. And I think a map and trail signs are dumb. Just keep everything the way it is. Not knowing which trail is which is just another excuse to ride with someone who does. So whos riding in the rain today? I know I am soon as I get out of class in 20 minutes.

PS. I always heard Chupacabra called Pizza Cutters, not blind pizza. Arent rumors and hearsay funny ****? And yes, I agree that all the Aptos kids and other guys come in with new names for stuff. I just go and ride the ****.

5105990558 if anyone is out there riding today. Might want to bring the fender. :blah: :blah: :blah:

Today... is a little too wet for me. I can't really get a ride back to my house, too dirty for that, and the thought of riding home is not pleasing. Tomorrows a whole diffrent story. Thats if you don't mind riding in front of a slow high school student :p
Just incase anyone is intrested in riding with me, give me a ring, 8313320454. I don't get good reception at my house, but leave a messege, I check 'em often.
//Matt

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Blind pizza...
Dumb story, but here goes.
Cameron and Gang were riding the UC and they were on thier last run for the day. Pizza was what they craved that fine evening, but wanted to finish the ride on a new trail that branched off of campers. They rode it "blind" as in, they didn't know where it went. Afterward they went to Pleasure Pizza and did feast upon the pepporonis, and cheese, and lambs, and breakfast cereals.

Hence, blind pizza. :stosh:

I got my RM name from this trail. Bikeninja would always mispronounce Chupracabra, and say "Chimichanga". He is not really that stupid even though he looks it, but he would say it to be funny. Maybe he was drunk.

:edit: BTW bikeninja pee'd on the racks in bookstore downtown the other night he was so drunk. If your new book smells funny, now you know why.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
This thread is cool...

Rich, hows that slider with the new fangled evolve parts??? I'm thinkin I might need to step up and get evolved to eliminate the ever present clunk.

punkassean said:
This thread is cool...

Rich, hows that slider with the new fangled evolve parts??? I'm thinkin I might need to step up and get evolved to eliminate the ever present clunk.
I gotta agree, let's not start putting names up on the trail heads. It's the most sure fire way to get things shut down. If you really want to know what's what, ride more, or ride with someone that does.

Paul, the Slider is sooo much better than before. I've only had a chance to do about 1-1/2hr of urban, but so far so good. If you've got the clunk, call Bob over at Answer and tell him about it. He'll hook you up. I was pretty imperssed as the parts got to me in like 3 days. They also provided both fork and semi-bath oil. (Only problem was they sent me a 150mm rod assembly instead of the 170mm for the Slider+. Not a real big deal as it's easy to swap out the SPV parts.)

Blind pizza, cold pizza, bah! I'm hungry now!!

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Raacerx said:
This is sooo funny. I rather like no one knowing the true names. And I think a map and trail signs are dumb. Just keep everything the way it is. Not knowing which trail is which is just another excuse to ride with someone who does. So whos riding in the rain today? I know I am soon as I get out of class in 20 minutes.

PS. I always heard Chupacabra called Pizza Cutters, not blind pizza. Arent rumors and hearsay funny ****? And yes, I agree that all the Aptos kids and other guys come in with new names for stuff. I just go and ride the ****.

5105990558 if anyone is out there riding today. Might want to bring the fender. :blah: :blah: :blah:
I was up there today riding in the soup ,i was on a black DH Comp .I got soaked to the bone but it was sooo much fun.

Raacerx

Monkey
GiantRider said:
I was up there today riding in the soup ,i was on a black DH Comp .I got soaked to the bone but it was sooo much fun.
Yeah I saw ya, I had the big green Jeep. I had a great time but I got a nasty tick in my armpit. Didn't know they were out already. Kind of freakin me out.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I got a tick at Niscene about this time last year and another just before that in Santa Barbara building DJ's. I farking hate those bastids. Don't worry Max, deer ticks aren't very common here so Lyme disease is very unlikely. Just get that fawker outta you and watch for infection or a red bullseye.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
punkassean said:
I got a tick at Niscene about this time last year and another just before that in Santa Barbara building DJ's. I farking hate those bastids. Don't worry Max, deer ticks aren't very common here so Lyme disease is very unlikely. Just get that fawker outta you and watch for infection or a red bullseye.
I found one after my nightride on tuesday, he was drowning in my sweat. Poor little guy didn't have a chance...

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
El_Chimichanga said:
I found one after my nightride on tuesday, he was drowning in my sweat. Poor little guy didn't have a chance...
yeah, especially since your sweat is matched only by the venemous, putrid liquids found in the deadly death swamps of Nairobi. and that you sweat buckets of that vile crap in the course of two hours. i'll bet that little tick shriveled up and disintegrated on contact.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
bikeninja said:
yeah, especially since your sweat is matched only by the venemous, putrid liquids found in the deadly death swamps of Nairobi. and that you sweat buckets of that vile crap in the course of two hours. i'll bet that little tick shriveled up and disintegrated on contact.
No, but I did toss him into the hippies' fireplace in the Barn.
"Here you go little guy!" *sizzle*