Quantcast

Airing out on a mini

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
We have a local shop that has a nice little mini set up with a prob 4-5' double halfpipe thingy with a spine in the middle then two 5-6' quarters on the walls beside it and a little box thing...anyway set up really isn't that important. My problem is airing out. I have no problem on larger quarters with vert, but even on the larger of these (I think 6') I have trouble airing out without hanging up some.

Anyone got any tips on how to ride this stuff better? Theres a rider who works in the shop I saw airing 4+ feet out of the smaller one so Im sure it can be done, and well.

Thanks

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I usually use the coping to pop out a bit, and then I sorta' hop off of that after my front wheel is above the coping.

I don't air out high enough to even get a glance from Chase Hawk, but that's always helped me bunches. I still hang up a bunch, but I don't really have access to a mini. I figure the more time you have on one, the easier it will be.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Word, let the front tire pop off the copping and bunny hop off the back. Or pull up on the front before the coping and hop off the back. There's a lot more muscle involved when it doesn't reach vert. Practice popping off earlier on a vert quarter. I'm just now starting to get a good feeling coming out of quarters, it has taken me a couple winters in the skate parks.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
visualize the mini ramp transition more like it's a dirt jump. compress into it and boost out of it the same way, carve a lot and nosedive into the landing. even below the coping practice landing your airs front wheel first. nosedive nosedive nosedive.

better not to think about it like you're riding up something then doing a 180 bunnyhop. that'll make you hang.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
See I feel like I more or less ride all quarters the same way which usually works out for me on larger quarters. I just drift too much on a smaller quarter. I think more than anything I just need to ride the one we have alot.

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
It's a lot different than airing out of a vert. quarter.

I learned by pulling back when bunnyhoping, and traveling across. I got comfortable with it and started going bigger.