Quantcast

airplanes and tires?

Oct 18, 2004
bitburg, Germany
What do you mean by blowing up? You mean in flight or on landing. On landing I've seen and changed/replaced plenty of blown and cracked struts. Same with tires. They usually blow on landing, but they can get cut on take-off. As far as in flight, I've never heard of them exploding. The tires on the aircraft I work on and deal with dont have tubes, and they are nothing like car tires. The rims are two halves that are bolted together, and thats what holds the tire on. So for the tire to just explode all the bolts would have to shear. Hope this sorta helps a little

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
thecoloredguy said:
What do you mean by blowing up? You mean in flight or on landing. On landing I've seen and changed/replaced plenty of blown and cracked struts. Same with tires. They usually blow on landing, but they can get cut on take-off. As far as in flight, I've never heard of them exploding. The tires on the aircraft I work on and deal with dont have tubes, and they are nothing like car tires. The rims are two halves that are bolted together, and thats what holds the tire on. So for the tire to just explode all the bolts would have to shear. Hope this sorta helps a little
umm, you seem confused. He's asking about the affects of the un-pressurized cargo hold on bike components

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
From Air Canada:

Q- Will my pets be safe in the cargo area?
A- Yes, all of are airplanes are pressurized including the cargo hold area. Your animal in the aircraft hold will be secured so not to move about, and placed so there is maximum ventilation all around the kennel.

From rec.bicycles:

Myth: You need to let the air out of your tires before shipping your bike
on an airplane - if you don't, the tires will explode.

Assume your tire at sea level, pumped to 100 psi. Air pressure at sea
level is (about) 15psi. Therefore, the highest pressure which can be
reached in the tire is 100+15=115psi. Ergo: There is no need to
deflate bicycle tires prior to flight to avoid explosions.
(Giles Morris gilesm@bird.uucp)
Addendum: The cargo hold is pressurized to the same pressure as the
passenger compartment.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I was gonna say... Lower cargo is infact pressurized. The about a 10" gap between the floor panels and the side wall all the way around. There are zig-zag trusses the run along that gap. So whatever you feel in the passenger cabin, you feel in lower cargo. ......mind you up front it's crazy warm with all of the electronic widgets......

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well I've taking my mt bike on planes before, I assume they put it in cargo. No problems with tires or shocks. I left everything as if I was going to ride it. So everything had high psi. No problems, except for the asshole at the airport in montreal on the way home, he through in on the ground, mind you in Vancouver I've never seen someone treat a bike soo well. The guy stood there holding my bike till I came and got it.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
What kind of bike boxes/cases are u guys using?

(i know i should do a search first...)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
DVNT said:
What kind of bike boxes/cases are u guys using?

(i know i should do a search first...)
I have a Trico Iron Case, but when I took my AS-X out to Bootleg it wouldn't fit in there so I just reinforced a bike box from the LBS. The airlines totally wasted that box though, even with all the reinforcement I did. I would be nervous about trying that again.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Echo said:
I have a Trico Iron Case, but when I took my AS-X out to Bootleg it wouldn't fit in there so I just reinforced a bike box from the LBS. The airlines totally wasted that box though, even with all the reinforcement I did. I would be nervous about trying that again.
I rented a trico iron from my LBS, and was perfectly happy with the results. oh- words of advice when flying with bikes: use some all-thread and 4 wingnuts (plus washers) to reinforce your fork and frame dropouts. basically, you replace the axle with this small piece. makes it so that your dropouts cant be pushed together.

if you need elaboration on the dropout protectors, PM me- another option is the dropout protectors that come with frames/forks

oh, and wrap EVERYTHING that might scratch/mar/ding or damage anything else.