Quantcast

Akron/Family (live review + pics)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
went to see these guys two nights ago. it was a pretty interesting show...first off (after a nice dinner/chat session w/ a friend of mine), there was the panic that i couldn't get in, even though their publicity guy put me on the list months ago...the promoter told me it was sold out, and i wasn't on her list; a call to the PR man Howard revealed that he'd been telling the band the last 3 weeks to list me...i get there, nope...not on the list, sold out show. through a stroke of good luck, i find the promoter stacie (http://www.thecritique.org/about.html - she puts on great shows) in the restaurant part of the club and she says i'm on her list (as someone couldn't make it), not the bands. whew.

onto the band...part jam band, part NNCK improv fvckery, part experimental, occasionally reaching into neil youngian guitar heaven, this was a solid show...esp the parts where they coaxed the normally reticent boston audience into participatory actions like hand-clapping and actual singing. twice! then at the end, the whole club seemed to end up on the tiny stage, at the active encouragement of the band. good show.

this isn't one of my best pictures, technically, but i like what it says about the show.

give the drummer(s) some:

the paradox is awesome:

kid in front of me (on the left, handing the mic) in line w/ no ticket...later learned he went to TT's (next door), had a smoke outside, and found an open door to sneak in.

how many drummers can play banjo?

more on my site...