Quantcast

Alaskan Cruise... Anyone ever done this?

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
My GF is trying to talk me into taking an Alaskan cruise with her family. 10 days leaving San Fran. It would cost me about $2500.

I've heard the excursions are where the real fun is on these types of trips. Of course, they cost extra money. I just don't know if I can drop the $$$. If I'm gonna go, I don't want to half@ss it.

Anyone ever gone on one of these??

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
My wifes mom, dad, and sister. Did this trip about 4 years about. My in-laws have been on their share of cruises, and stated that the Alaska cruise was by far the best they had been on. It's expensive though. I don't know if I could drop the cash, but I hear it's pretty awesome.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
A buddy went on a cruise with his family. He reported that there are 3 types of people that go on cruises: newlyweds, retirees, and homosexuals. That was a tropical cruise though and he only went hoping to hook-up.

Some friends that did a honeymoon cruise said that it's not worth it if you don't leave the ship every chance you get. You might as well spend your money at a hotel if you're not going to get out and do stuff.

The Monk

Chimp
Aug 13, 2004
My wife and I did it on our honeymoon. We had a great time and don't regret doing it, but if you are an active person, you might find it a little frustrating. The big boat cruises cater to older, less active clientelle, who are primarily interested in eating and being bused around tourist sites. Aside from ourselves and another couple of honeymooners, I would guess the average age was 65, and the average weight was 185 lbs. The men were much older and heavier.

We rented (crappy, beat-up no-name) mountain bikes in Skagway, kayaked around the bay in Ketchikan and rode on a helicopter to the Medenhall Glacier in Juneau. Except for the mountain bikes, all of the excursions were VERY PRICEY.

There are tour operators who have smaller boats, with Zodiaks that take onto wilderness areas. But if you are on a big boat, you can expect that most activities will cater to fat old people.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my college roommate did one with his family. they all enjoyed the trip. not sure if they took any excursions as they're not outdoorsy types

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
BikeGeek said:
Some friends that did a honeymoon cruise said that it's not worth it if you don't leave the ship every chance you get. You might as well spend your money at a hotel if you're not going to get out and do stuff.

That's what I've heard from people as well. If I drop a couple grand, I'm not going to be too happy hanging out on the boat and playin' shuffelboard. I can afford a few excursions, but my GF can't. Her folks are paying her way, but aren't going to fund anything more than that.

My GF may be able to talk them into something like whale watching. But Glacier hiking, mountin biking and sea kayaking? No way.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
My wife and I just did an AK cruise 2 months ago. We sailed from Vancouver up to Seward. It was a good time but what everyone else is saying is true. It seems like it is a bunch of old people. The activities seem to be geared toward the in-active crowd. That being said we still got out. The advice that worked for us was when you get off the boat go the opposite direction of everyone else. That way you get out and see some stuff besides the tourist crap that is in every port. We did two 'organized excursions' while on the trip, I picked one and my wife picked one. We did sea kayaking and a boat tour thing. Both were really cool. We also went whale watching and flying over Denali, but we did that on our own.

Overall the cruise was a lot of fun, but I didn't like being tied to their schedule. I'd much rather be on my own schedule. Then I could've snuck a ride in while we were in Vancouver. :sneaky:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I did a caribean cruise with some friends a few years ago. I had much more fun than I expected. But it was mainly because I was with people who wanted to do the same things that I did. Most others on the trip just seemed to go shopping or find a beach. Nitelife sucked. So if you can have fun with just the people you are going with while in cramped quarters do it, if not don't.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I can't remember my in-laws excursions, but I recall a train ride, some sort of small plain ride, whale watching, and a couple of other things, but I forget.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I would never do a cruise - except to Alaska. I worked in SE Alaska for a couple summers and that place is amazing. There is so much coast line there that the only way to really see it is by boat.

10 days is a long time though. :dead:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Westy said:
I did a caribean cruise with some friends a few years ago. I had much more fun than I expected. But it was mainly because I was with people who wanted to do the same things that I did. Most others on the trip just seemed to go shopping or find a beach. Nitelife sucked. So if you can have fun with just the people you are going with while in cramped quarters do it, if not don't.
My experience was similar. The wife and I went with about 10 friends. If it was just the two of us, we would not have enjoyed it as much. You share the ship with 2,000 other people, and wherever the ship docks, you follow the crowd of 2,000 to whatever the stop is. 2,000 people going to shop, 2,000 people going to the private beach, 2,000 people getting off at the same island town. We had fun but we don't need to go on another cruise anytime soon. We'll go back to Hawaii first, even though that vacation cost us four times what the cruise cost us.

The Monk

Chimp
Aug 13, 2004
HedgeHog said:
That's what I've heard from people as well. If I drop a couple grand, I'm not going to be too happy hanging out on the boat and playin' shuffelboard. I can afford a few excursions, but my GF can't. Her folks are paying her way, but aren't going to fund anything more than that.

My GF may be able to talk them into something like whale watching. But Glacier hiking, mountin biking and sea kayaking? No way.
On a 10-day cruise, you will spend a lot more time on the boat than off it. You may find yourself playing shuffleboard just to pass the time. What cruise line are they taking?

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
The Monk said:
On a 10-day cruise, you will spend a lot more time on the boat than off it. You may find yourself playing shuffleboard just to pass the time. What cruise line are they taking?
Princess I think. They are considering another, but I think Princess is the one they're leaning towards.

We will be on the ship for 4 solid days. The trip from San Fran to Canada is 2 days one way. I think by the last day, I may be climbing the walls looking for something to do. Gambling, and see the "shows" only goes so far with me.

The Monk

Chimp
Aug 13, 2004
My experience: Princess = fat, old people.

If they have not decided, see if they might consider a Lindbland cruise. Pricey but worth it.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
JSB said:
I can't remember my in-laws excursions, but I recall a train ride, some sort of small plain ride, whale watching, and a couple of other things, but I forget.
I've heard about some kind of train ride. The excursions that sound cool to me are the sea canoe trip to the base of the glacier, the glacier hiking, and maybe some biking.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
The Monk said:
My experience: Princess = fat, old people.

If they have not decided, see if they might consider a Lindbland cruise. Pricey but worth it.

Unfortunately, that description fits my GF's family. :dead:

I doubt they will sacrifice the bingo parlor and all you can eat buffet for little ol' me. :rolleyes: