Quantcast

ALBASINI Takes HTC-HIGHROAD'S 2nd Stage and Overall Lead in Bayern Rundfahrt

Oct 20, 2009
<p><b>San Luis Obispo, California, 27th May 2011 -</b> Michael Albasini has claimed HTC-Highroad's second stage of the Bayern Rundfahrt race in Germany on Friday, moving into the overall lead.</p><p>
</p><p>
Following John Degenkolb's bunch sprint win on Thursday, 24 hours later the Swiss climber clinched the victory over Britain's Geraint Thomas and Australian Wesley Sulzberger on the 180.8 kilometer stage from Bad Gogging to Aichach.</p><p>
</p><p>
"There was a big split about half way through the stage and forty riders got ahead, but there were a lot of guys in the break not working, so I was sure it was going to split again, and it did," Albasini said.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I attacked with a group of around ten riders and we got a good gap, so we knew the win would come down to us."</p><p>
</p><p>
"I tried to go again to get some more of an advantage over the rest, and when that didn't work, I had enough energy left to win the sprint and get the lead."</p><p>
</p><p>
With a key time trial yet to race, Albasini is confident he will be able to defend his top spot overall.</p><p>
</p><p>
"The last two stage races I've won after getting the lead - that was in the Tour of Britain last year and the Tour of Austria a few years back - and I'm determined to do the same again here."</p><p>
</p><p>
For more information about HTC-Highroad and High Road Sports visit <a href="http://www.highroadsports.com" target="_blank">www.highroadsports.com</a>.</p>

More...