Quantcast

Alberto Contador Takes Beautiful Stage Win in San Luis

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Three categorized climbs were on the menu for the peloton on the 156 kilometer long sixth stage of Tour de San Luis from Quines to Mirador del Sol. Here, an uphill finish over 7 kilometers with an average gradient of more than 8% formed the big finale.</p><p>
</p><p>
As five escapees were finally caught by a chasing field lead by Team Saxo-Tinkoff close to the foot of the final mountain, the spectators were in for a thrilling finale among the GC favorites. Team Saxo-Tinkoff kept putting pressure on the field on the first half of the final climb and soon, most of the field exploded.</p><p>
</p><p>
On the final kilometers, Team Saxo-Tinkoff's Alberto Contador launched a series of deep attacks trying to break free from a handful of companions and on the final meters, no one was able match his punches and he took a beautiful stage win.</p><p>
</p><p>
“The entire team worked hard to prepare Alberto for the final. The boys made everyone suffer out there with a high pace before and on the final climb where Alberto was simply relentless. He really insisted on breaking clear to take this win and finally, no one was able to match his determination. A great win for Alberto and for the whole team here,” said Team Saxo-Tinkoff French sports director, Philippe Mauduit.</p><p>
</p><p>
Team Saxo-Tinkoff's Alberto Contador commented:</p><p>
</p><p>
“I'm especially happy on behalf of the team who has worked very hard for me – not only today but for several stages. To have these guys by my side is pure luxury. Actually, I wanted to win because every day at dinner, my teammates were joking and saying that they have been working for nothing and I've been telling them to just wait and see and today, I gave something back to them.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Team Saxo-Tinkoff's Spaniard moved up to fourth overall and Daniel Diaz (SLS) is in the leader's jersey.</p>

More...