Quantcast

Albuquerque/Santa Fe Riding?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'm going to be in that area the weekend of Aug 20th.

There are loads of trails documented online. Looking for something with a nearby shop that would rent out high end bikes.

Can anyone field some recommendations?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

There are loads of trails documented online. Looking for something with a nearby shop that would rent out high end bikes.

Pm N8, he lived in abq for years.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

Shit yes! ABQ has excellent mtb riding and world class breweries.

Best to fill out this questionnaire for out-of-state riders coming to central & northern NM in order to make the best recommendations:
  • What's your riding style?
  • Do you like chunk?
  • Do you carry an extra derailleur and/or hanger for a Turner/Ventana?
  • Do you have health insurance?
  • On a normal ride, do you drink* a) water b) beer c) tequila d) rum
  • Are you afraid of a) climbs b) descents c) altitude d) exposure e) the dark f) black helicopters
*If you don't carry beer/liquor, what is the carrying capacity of your back pack??

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm pondering a trip there at the end of September. So here goes:

- riding style: mountain bikes
- in the infamous words of moto-moto: I like em chunky....
- derailleur hanger, yes; derailleur, sometimes; neither for a Turner/Ventana
- I'm from Canada
- during the ride, water. Only time I drank beer on a ride was in Whistler. And then I promptly crashed on Freight Train. have not repeated since. (I know, that makes me lame)
- not afraid, but always complain during climbs. definitely afraid of black helicopters - what good has ever come from them?

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
A wild expert appears!

Style: Fro Rider
Chunk: I'm used to New England roots, I'm not a flow queen
Hanger: I'll be renting, so I can't count on this
Insured: Yes.
Bevvy: A, B, and sometimes after C
Fears: None of the above

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
To get you started, this bit of goodness is basically in ABQ against the mountains:

South Foothills

Red Mesa (30 mi outside ABQ)

White Mesa (25 mi outside ABQ)

Santa Fe Area
Windsor
Rio En Medio
Dale Ball

ABQ Area:
Tunnel/Otero Canyon
Greenside of Sandia Mt
North and South Foothills
Placitas

More to follow.....

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I am apart of a great shop in Abq it's small, rad, we ride and drink beer often, my name is Vince and anyone of us 5 can help get you on the right track to riding in NM. It's called Bikeworks we/I can help. Ask for me or just stop in. I'm sorry it's sounding like a shop plug I honestly don't mean it to.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I am apart of a great shop in Abq it's small, rad, we ride and drink beer often, my name is Vince and anyone of us 5 can help get you on the right track to riding in NM. It's called Bikeworks we/I can help. Ask for me or just stop in. I'm sorry it's sounding like a shop plug I honestly don't mean it to.
Vouch! Bikeworks is an excellent resource (had a set of Stans rims built up there with I9 hubs & spokes a few yrs ago for my Titus Exigrid SS). Seems like there is always fresh keg of something good on tap in the back :D

image.jpeg

Last edited:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
If you're interested, I'll put you in contact with the Bandaleros Crew - if you provide the beer & shuttle, they'll show you the goods.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Do you guys rent bikes? I am morally opposed to shipping mine when I can try something new for the same price.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
No we don't, and other than Angel Fire I don't think anyone else rents current mtb bikes some shops including us demo bikes for selling purposeses but it isn't intended as a rental. In all honesty it's a kinda gray area. We helped a guy not long ago and a baby head kicked up and crushed a carbon frame it wasn't his fault and he did nothing wrong just bad luck, but we need to replace the front triangle.