Quantcast

alex rims and wheels???

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i was searching around for a new 24in chrome rim for my street bike and came to the alex site and they have some pretty nice looking pre built wheels that i have plain out never heard of or seen. they also have a pretty big selection of dh/freeride rims. i have only seen them on trials bikes (and the back of my 26in street bike as a quick replacement), and on cheaper bikes. some of them look pretty decent and have a good weight going for them. any reason no one runs em?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I think you'll find Alex rims to be slightly more popular in Europe with some of the smaller OE companies. Alex doesn't put a whole lot in to promoting their own line since they make rims for just about everyone. As a contract manufacturer they can reap the rewards of others marketing and design efforts for unique products or sell their rim designs by just re-badging them.

For example, it's a road rim but the DA22 model I know is out there with at least 4 different companies decals. Just like picking a frame out of a catalog that we're more familiar with seeing or at least recognizing.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Alex rims are spec'd on lots of Canadian bikes. Take a look at Norco's complete set-ups and I think you'll find Alex rims on many of them.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm a fan of the Supra D. It's reasonably light, welded, and has a good profile. It comes in black and polished, but I'm not sure if they make a 24" version.

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
i have been riding alex rims for years now. from the supra-d to the kaprun both for freeride and dh. and then their 20 inch bmx wheelset as well. good and strong.i have 4 set of alex rims total,and never had a prob .with anything from flatspot to cracks nothing really. the supra-d's are laced to saint hubs frnt and rear. 2 sets like that . the kaprun is a factory built wheelset. trust me i have crashed and cased and slammed on some pretty bad rocks and runs and not a prob. they make solid gear imho

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i had DX32 rims on my norco 5hun for a few years. they were a bit heavy, but strong as hell and super wide. they had formula hubs laced to them, which were nothing special. i had no complaints.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Yeah, Supra-D's are where it's at! I like them much better than MTX's, which are just a bit softer in my experience.
Supra BH (pinned version of the welded Supra-D) is nice too, and very popular for oem spec, on giant's, norco's, etc., like already mentioned.
They also have the slightly larger Supra 4X and Supra 34, which both look really really nice too, but I've never been able to find them for sale, nor probably able to afford them atm. Always in my mind for future builds though.
Same with the A-class wheels, look primo IMO.

They've had a large bmx following in years past, but I think that has faded just a bit down to more lower levels recently.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Where can we buy Alex rims?? I want some DX32's I think... And can you get them predrilled? I've got some pretty nice hole saws that are designed for thin sheetmetal...but it sounds like a pain in the ass.