Quantcast

Alibayexpress parts you love

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Maybe not quite cheap enough for some of you bargain hunters, but has anyone tried "Taya" brand chains?

Aug 7, 2024
Maybe not quite cheap enough for some of you bargain hunters, but has anyone tried "Taya" brand chains?
I've got a couple of the Shimano knockoff chains on the kids bikes from Ali and can't complain. I didn't realize they were knockoffs until after but said screw it, run it till it blows.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2024
I've been using the hell out of a internal cable routing tool. I have no way of telling if its actually park tool or not (never seen a real one in person) but its well worth the 10 bucks. I've replaced three rear brake hoses, two dropper cable housings and one gear shifter housing and it never missed a beat. The dropper housing was so bad I had to use two and go from both ends to get them together to pull through.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I can’t figure out how to actually attach the aliexpress cable puller kit I bought to the cable housing or brake hose. I end up just electrical taping it.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I can’t figure out how to actually attach the aliexpress cable puller kit I bought to the cable housing or brake hose. I end up just electrical taping it.
If any consolation. Very few shop mechanics ever use the cable puller parts at all. The magnet is used a fair bit though

Aug 7, 2024
Mine came with three different cables. One has a tapered, threaded metal end on it. I use this one the most. I just screw it in the housing or hose and pull it through. It also came with one that slips over the end of a hose but it makes the joint big and bulky so I never use that one. The other cable has the reverse polarity magnet on it so you can mate up two magnets in a frame from different directions.

I do alot of work on ebikes and they are a BITCH to pull cable through. I almost always have to pull the motor for dropper housing.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've been using the hell out of a internal cable routing tool. I have no way of telling if its actually park tool or not (never seen a real one in person) but its well worth the 10 bucks. I've replaced three rear brake hoses, two dropper cable housings and one gear shifter housing and it never missed a beat. The dropper housing was so bad I had to use two and go from both ends to get them together to pull through.

Holy hell thats awesome. I'm getting some stuff.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

These shorts are great. Like way better than the previously monkey approved Amazon shorts. I hated the plasticy pieces for the Velcro waists band on those, these aliexpress ones don’t have that.
Mine showed up. Look and feel great. Will order some more I think. Cheers for the heads up

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Those look exactly like a set of amazon pants I have. They work well. Hell, I spilled blood all over em and wore them to the hospital. Surgeon must have got them off w/o shears cuz I sure as hell didn't take em off.. Still rocking em.

Aug 7, 2024
I ordered a set of aliexpress cushcore to try out. It was just to damn tempting to for the price.

It comes folded up so I set it out in the sun to "relax" a little. For all intensive purposes it seems legit. I only needed one but ordered the pair because it was on thirty couple bucks for both. They are much harder to install than regular cushcore. It may have been the way it was folded during shipping. I put one on the back of my ebike and I've got the other for the rear of the downhill bike if it ever arrives. I installed that one on a spare rim just to stretch it out a little.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
So I managed to strip my arc ratchet hub. The mt051 model, 28H straight pull 72 click pawl hub. The ratchet ring stripped the threads on the hub, guess I put too much torque through it. I still order another one because they’re still so cheap and it’s the only hub I could re-use my spokes with.

I’m also going to tryout the ztto metallic pads and the toopre ceramic pads. And the kind shock dropper post.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
IMG_5331.JPEG

Bit of a disappointing haul from AE lately. I got a lot of weird stuff in addition to the valve stems I needed. Battery pump is larger than I expected and may not fit in my seat pack, seems to work OK though. Two headbands are just crappy poly blend with no substance to them. Speaker (not shown) sounds terrible. Some hits though, the bell was $1.24 and rings well. Sweat gutter should gutter sweat. Those black logs are "cat ears" for muting wind noise while on my EEB, the real thing is close to $20. Still, the same haul would have been like $500 from an LBS.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
View attachment 217977

Bit of a disappointing haul from AE lately. I got a lot of weird stuff in addition to the valve stems I needed. Battery pump is larger than I expected and may not fit in my seat pack, seems to work OK though. Two headbands are just crappy poly blend with no substance to them. Speaker (not shown) sounds terrible. Some hits though, the bell was $1.24 and rings well. Sweat gutter should gutter sweat. Those black logs are "cat ears" for muting wind noise while on my EEB, the real thing is close to $20. Still, the same haul would have been like $500 from an LBS.
Do you have a link to those cat-ear things?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
View attachment 217977

Cat ears.
Moped for commuting.
When do you start buying hot tubs?

:D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Probably one of these?

I have one, which I no longer use. It worked okay, but either pairing it with a shimano derailleur or something with my bike just didn't mesh together well. I could get 11 of the 12 gears running smoothly, but there'd always be one that was slightly off.

But it wasn't a big enough deal to immediately ditch it, I ran it for almost a whole season.

But it prompted me to ditch expensive sram cassettes altogether. Now running slx shimano 12 speed and it's much better....and cheaper.