Quantcast

Alibayexpress parts you love

Fat Larry

Chimp
Feb 3, 2022
You attach it to the chainstay with a rubber band using the curly braces, it holds the "feeler" (the rectangular piece inside the body) tight enough to allow you to push it against the side of the rim and true it. The little step at the end of the feeler also allows you to true it vertically.

It has saved a couple of friends on aour multi-day alpine rides so far.

If anyone is interested in printing one of these, let me know and I'll find a way to send the STL files.
Yes please.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I purchased Kapvoe glasses and they seem okay. They have rubber on the nose and ear pieces. Its nice that they came with like 6 different lenses as well (even if one in the booklet says "not good for biking" lol). The case they came in is nice as well. BUT, they look very bulky and they don't seem to fit very snuggly on my head, so I haven't actually tried them out yet. Feels like they'll slide down when on the trail.

I also purchased two pairs (one clear and one tinted) of $4 glasses. Rubber nose piece, everything else is plastic. These I actually like better. They are light, unobtrusive and fit to my head better, even without the rubber on the ears. I wore the clear ones last night and they did their job. I'd buy them again if they break - heck maybe I'll buy more just in case, for $4 they aren't bad. I'll post up the link to them if I can find them.

Everyone loved the rainbow faceshield thing when I pulled up in the parking lot last night. :rofl:
Do you by any chance have a small head? Of the six pairs of glasses I bought, 5 of them feel very tight. It isn't too bad once on the bike, but standing around it's irritating. I have two POC knockoffs, three 100% knockoffs, and the rockBROS. The bros are the most flexible, with the most comfortable nose/earpieces. They are huge and they sit away from the face, but this works as they provide ventillation/room for ventilation by not being right up close, and big glasses are the thing now.

I wear the knockoff POCs on morning rides, as they are lightly tinted (photochromic LOL). The quality is wretched on those.

Fat Larry

Chimp
Feb 3, 2022
I purchased Kapvoe glasses and they seem okay. They have rubber on the nose and ear pieces. Its nice that they came with like 6 different lenses as well (even if one in the booklet says "not good for biking" lol). The case they came in is nice as well. BUT, they look very bulky and they don't seem to fit very snuggly on my head, so I haven't actually tried them out yet. Feels like they'll slide down when on the trail.

I also purchased two pairs (one clear and one tinted) of $4 glasses. Rubber nose piece, everything else is plastic. These I actually like better. They are light, unobtrusive and fit to my head better, even without the rubber on the ears. I wore the clear ones last night and they did their job. I'd buy them again if they break - heck maybe I'll buy more just in case, for $4 they aren't bad. I'll post up the link to them if I can find them.

Everyone loved the rainbow faceshield thing when I pulled up in the parking lot last night. :rofl:

Which $4 glasses did you get?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if trueing in the frame simply flip the wheel in the dropouts to check dish.
this won't work on frames that require an offset dish. granted they are few and far between these days, but worth noting. GG used to have offset wheels, but i think they stopped that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do you by any chance have a small head? Of the six pairs of glasses I bought, 5 of them feel very tight. It isn't too bad once on the bike, but standing around it's irritating. I have two POC knockoffs, three 100% knockoffs, and the rockBROS. The bros are the most flexible, with the most comfortable nose/earpieces. They are huge and they sit away from the face, but this works as they provide ventillation/room for ventilation by not being right up close, and big glasses are the thing now.

I wear the knockoff POCs on morning rides, as they are lightly tinted (photochromic LOL). The quality is wretched on those.
My head is on the bigger side so its odd. They did come with a neck strap, so that might help if they do start slipping.
Which $4 glasses did you get?
I looked up my purchase history and the ad for them is unfortunately gone. :(

This is what they were listed as though. Still don't understand how they ship something from China to Canada for free, with the thing costing $4.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I did buy this bearing press kit a few weeks ago off of ebay to have more sizes than my Wheels Mfg stuff, easily as good quality as the Wheels Mfg:

Fat Larry

Chimp
Feb 3, 2022
My head is on the bigger side so its odd. They did come with a neck strap, so that might help if they do start slipping.

I looked up my purchase history and the ad for them is unfortunately gone. :(

This is what they were listed as though. Still don't understand how they ship something from China to Canada for free, with the thing costing $4.

Looks good, cheers. Coincidently i also have a massive head.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Rad, thank you. How does it attach/work?
You attach it to the chainstay with a rubber band using the curly braces, it holds the "feeler" (the rectangular piece inside the body) tight enough to allow you to push it against the side of the rim and true it. The little step at the end of the feeler also allows you to true it vertically.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I did buy this bearing press kit a few weeks ago off of ebay to have more sizes than my Wheels Mfg stuff, easily as good quality as the Wheels Mfg:

you can get that same kit from amazon for less $$ than ali once you account for shipping costs.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Speaking of. You can just use a zip tie as the device to help you true the wheel while on the bike. Probably not as cool as a custom piece of kit, but just saying...
Yup, it has been brought by @HardtailHack a page ago or so:

My bike lives with a truing cabletie on the chainstay, it has a 45deg angle cut on it so it scrapes a little line in the dust where it touches. A mate loaned me a Park stand but I still did it that way because I couldn't be arsed taking the wheel out and aiming for perfection on a hardtail is stupid.
this little gizmo I brought in helped with a couple of bikes still sporting v-brakes (I know, WTF???) in our last trip, and because I still have a little rim truing OCD from the ole v-brake days.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone have any experience with cheap roof racks?

One of the towers on my integrated bars on my Mazda CX-5 is cracked. I haven't looked into replacing it yet, but I'm not really liking the integrated bars as I can lash a canoe AND kayak to them at the same time.
I was thinking of getting something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/CargoLoc-Roof-Aluminum-Cross-Bars/dp/B00GA2HKAU/ref=sr_1_40?keywords=roof+rack&qid=1663861324&sr=8-40 My neighbour has them on his VW Golf Wagon, and they seem solid enough. He's had them for a few years and seems to like them. But I don't know if he's a "heavy user" or not.

I'll be putting my long and narrow xc-ski box on for the winter fairly soon, which while light, probably is fairly rough on roof racks because of the aero effect. I imagine strapping an 80lb canoe + kayak will also test the rack's strength...

anyone have experience with such a thing?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

That looks pretty spiffy.

I know I'll need a bearing press at some point for our households GG Smash's and Commencal Supreme's. Turner bushings were always so easy to deal with...

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Is it long enough for headsets too?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's long enough. But it doesn't have headset cup adapters (not to say you couldn't use another adapter successfully)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A universal BB bearing press adapter works pretty well for headset press. Nor for this bearing kit, for the larger Wheels Mfg. The one I got above is for smaller bearings, the threaded shaft is smaller and fits through smaller bearing adapters. Wheels Mfg has a smaller size shaft too.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ebay & AliExpress also have various chuynese headset presses from about £10-15

eg.

1663877316325.png

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hmmm....yes.

I don't always work on installing headsets. But when I do, I make sure my bike is upside down and I'm looking at the rear derailleur and make sure someone is touching my disc brake rotor with their greasy fingers....

:D

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
So i bought some of the aliexpress "COOMA" EX Plus brakepads for my MT7 and i gotta say, so far i really like them.
No weird sounds, they even stay silent when wet. Power is at least on par with the standard Magura pads (or maybe slightly higher), which have always been enough for me on the dh bike. Also no unusual wear. They hold up really well.
I´ve also ordered the pink ceramic compound as well as the gold and black, but haven´t had a chance to test these yet.

I also just ordered some of these:
VHS Clone Chainstay Protector
If the material can stand up to the beating, they actually look like they´d perform really well.
For less than a 10th of the VHS price it´s certainly worth a try.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Ah, that's a good find if it works. The price for the "original" one is ridiculous.
I´ll report back once i have it in hand. Likely won´t be able to give it a proper test before next season though.
I went with the thick cubed one and the one with the slim pads. I´m curious how effective the smaller pads will be. If they provide enough damping, that one might look pretty slick.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hi phi:

These are 10sp road shifters for a budget commuter build. They are shockingly high quality. The brake action is smooth and the shifting feels crisp. Will need to install and test but they were ~1/3 the cost of a used set of shimano 10 speed shifters