Quantcast

Alibayexpress parts you love

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
My "Ekfan" narrow-wide chainring has lasted a few years. I got an 'Easy-do' 142 x 12 rear hub that's still going but needs new bearings. Chosen brand boost front hub has been good.

Even for beater bikes stay away from no name forks like 'Bolany'. They will break.

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
When y'all say durability is on par with big Ss, do you mean the ~5 seasons we get out of X01/XX1s?
I'm still on XT (m8000) and Garbaruk cassette 4 years now. My wife's X01 is still kicking for 4 years. New GX electric shifting on her bike because her bike tumbled hard and the derailleur was not right. But had years in it. Sram top level has proven to be worth it. I get 2 years just from a chain.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
5 years?

I've seen tons of 10+ year old drivetrains from Tourney to XTR where the chain isn't even worn. Nevermind the cassette.
Wanna hazard a guess as to why they've not worn out in that time?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I got 9866km out of the same XTR chain and XT cassette (GX mech, OneUp chainring) once before the chain snapped and fucked up my day. I had all new gear ready to go but wanted to try and get to 10,000.

I'm sure there's people out there who have far exceeded that and others that wouldn't come close despite the best care in the world. There's too many bloody factors involved.

sidenote - DH chains seem to end up flogged incredibly badly despite low overall kms and hardly any pedalling. All the banging around must wreck hell on them or something.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
5 years?

I've seen tons of 10+ year old drivetrains from Tourney to XTR where the chain isn't even worn. Nevermind the cassette.
Wanna hazard a guess as to why they've not worn out in that time?
They sat in the garage and didnt get rode.

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
And even if they didn't, the amount of riding done by some in 1 year equates what some do in 5 years. How many spins a week ? How much elevation done in each spin ? In which condition ? English winter isn't the same than South of France. Telling about durability of a component without at least these information doesn't really hold any value.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And even if they didn't, the amount of riding done by some in 1 year equates what some do in 5 years. How many spins a week ? How much elevation done in each spin ? In which condition ? English winter isn't the same than South of France. Telling about durability of a component without at least these information doesn't really hold any value.
Not comparing between different riders and conditions, comparing between myself, so usage, terrain, conditions, roughly the same. If anything, more abusive/miles/vertical/conditions these days.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
English winter isn't the same than South of France.
Southern England is closer to the South of france than it is to the Scottish highlands. and yeah. all three places winters are not really comparible.
Toodles cassette lasting almost 10000 Australian km pretty much exactly matches the mileage i get out of a 105 road cassette over here on my roadbike until it starts to slip in the smaller sprockets. (ridden in all conditions but looked after/cleaned regularly after wetter weather rides)
4000miles *6500km) is fairly good going for an mtb cassette ridden in all conditions here

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
Southern England is closer to the South of france than it is to the Scottish highlands. and yeah. all three places winters are not really comparible.
Toodles cassette lasting almost 10000 Australian km pretty much exactly matches the mileage i get out of a 105 road cassette over here on my roadbike until it starts to slip in the smaller sprockets. (ridden in all conditions but looked after/cleaned regularly after wetter weather rides)
4000miles *6500km) is fairly good going for an mtb cassette ridden in all conditions here
Differenciating between south and north UK is like the difference in alcool content in Wine, barely noticeable ... Been in Ireland for 4 years, not UK but British Isles nonetheless, weather is the same in that whole area, almost all year round too :D:D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
weather is the same in that whole area
Yeah. Wet!
Sorry for the spoiler

UK climate/weather
East = Dry
West = Wet
South = Warm
North = Cold

Not surprised you haven't noticed while spending FOUR years in an entirely different country,

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
Yeah. Wet!
Sorry for the spoiler

UK climate/weather
East = Dry
West = Wet
South = Warm
North = Cold

Not surprised you haven't noticed while spending FOUR years in an entirely different country,
South of France is Warm, South of Itay is dry, North West of France is like the British Isle so wet and mild, North of Sweden if Cold. Been traveling in across the British Isles over that time, its basically different shades of mild and wet.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
From my experience, Sram GX Eagle cassette and chain won't last anywhere near that. Maybe its the chain causing the problem? I went through two chains on this last cassette over the course of 1.5 seasons. If I try to use a new chain, it skips like mad. For how much the cassette costs, its bogus.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
From my experience, Sram GX Eagle cassette and chain won't last anywhere near that. Maybe its the chain causing the problem? I went through two chains on this last cassette over the course of 1.5 seasons. If I try to use a new chain, it skips like mad. For how much the cassette costs, its bogus.
Are you using the all steel 1150 or the 1175 which has the alu 42T? I think I'm 3 seasons on my GX 1150 on my trail bike with no issues yet when I've changed chain using the cheaper X1 chains.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Are you using the all steel 1150 or the 1175 which has the alu 42T? I think I'm 3 seasons on my GX 1150 on my trail bike with no issues yet when I've changed chain using the cheaper X1 chains.
Its the 1275 Eagle version, so had the aluminum top ring. Though its the smaller cogs which skip.

Also what's wrong with the industry - is it just me or has Sram totally ditched their 10-50 spread of cassettes? Can only find the ridiculous sized 10-52 mentioned anywhere on most websites now. I'm slow and fat (or fat and slow?), but even I don't need a 52 tooth top ring, making it an even bigger jump from the 42 tooth one. Wtf?

Also why don't they name cassettes the same way as everything else..GX, XX1 etc. No it has to be some random number...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Its the 1275 Eagle version, so had the aluminum top ring. Though its the smaller cogs which skip.

Also what's wrong with the industry - is it just me or has Sram totally ditched their 10-50 spread of cassettes? Can only find the ridiculous sized 10-52 mentioned anywhere on most websites now. I'm slow and fat (or fat and slow?), but even I don't need a 52 tooth top ring, making it an even bigger jump from the 42 tooth one. Wtf?

Also why don't they name cassettes the same way as everything else..GX, XX1 etc. No it has to be some random number...
Sorry, missed the Eagle reference.
I think they ditched all the 50's because 52 > Shimano's 51T pie plates

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wide range 12 speed cassettes slip under load earlier than lesser range cassettes as there is far less chain wrap in the smallest sprockets. Plus the smallest sprocket is stupidly small.
A 10 speed 11-36 (for example) will run without slipping with the original chain for far far longer (over double the mileage)

FFS STOP MEASURING DRIVETRAIN WEAR IN "SEASONS" !
It's become an epidemic

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wide range 12 speed cassettes slip under load earlier than lesser range cassettes as there is far less chain wrap in the smallest sprockets. Plus the smallest sprocket is stupidly small.
A 10 speed 11-36 (for example) will run without slipping with the original chain for far far longer (over double the mileage)

It's become an epidemic
Should we measure it revolutions acquired per annum?

We have an actual winter here where riding doesn't happen, so saying a season kind of makes sense. :D And other than a few outliers here (ahem, 6thelement, jm, you etc), we probably all ride around the same amount per year. So measure it in potatoes, miles, days, years etc. It all means the same thing at the end; some parts are crap for how much they cost.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It's become an epidemic
As someone who doesn’t measure anything revolution, heartrate, km, second, etc… i remember when i put the thing on, and that’s about it. If it has 10,000km, so be it. Changed it last in 2013.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, thought I was doing OK with almost 200k verts this year, but then looked at 6th’s stats, almost 377k verts.
Props!
Unreliable stats for this year as I did fully record a few DH days which I'd never done before.

My objective every year is 3650 miles and 500k vert (no commuting here). I normally get pretty close most years, bad summer this year though.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I think the metal is softer. We ride damp trails with mixed dirt and sand. The GX tend to last a year maybe 2. The upper level Sram,Garbaruk and SLX and XT cassettes tend to last quite a while.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Unreliable stats for this year as I did fully record a few DH days which I'd never done before.

My objective every year is 3650 miles and 500k vert (no commuting here). I normally get pretty close most years, bad summer this year though.
Made me curious to check my evil Strava. At 4K/375k vert as of now.