Quantcast

Alibayexpress parts you love

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

These are apparently UV resistant among other things. I've found the lenses to be very good for most things, and ventilation adequate for road and mountain use.

At 1/10th the cost of other sunglasses, you can buy an extra set if they do get scratched. I don't know about impact resistance, but if the lenses are polycarbonate they should offer some resistance.
I ordered a pair of these as a Christmas gift for my oldest. He needs glasses for xc skiing. They arrived yesterday. They feel very flimsy. I hope they don't shatter into eyes and blind him for life... :\

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I ordered a pair of these as a Christmas gift for my oldest. He needs glasses for xc skiing. They arrived yesterday. They feel very flimsy. I hope they don't shatter into eyes and blind him for life... :\
I have maybe 700 miles on mine and am not dead.

Plus doesn't flimsy imply flexible and therefore bend not break?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One thing I like about Bikeyoke. They actually give you the F-ing remote with the post...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. Now you mention it. I did know that.
I tend to feel sorry for anyone who's bought a Fox dropper.
Even more so if Kashima

Oct 29, 2007
Got to exploring aliexpress after reading this thread, and coincidentally the Guide RS master cylinder on my hardtail failed while sitting in a cold garage. I had seen the Risk titanium lever piston kits on aliX, and am going to give them a try. Looks like there are several version of this product, including some that claim to use Trelleborg seals, and another that is shipped immersed in DOT fluid in a small vial. Couldn't imagine they are any worse than my stuck OEM plastic piston, but I will report back when they arrive and I can drop them in.

Attachments

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have those in my old 2017 Guide RS (still in use on my Capra).
fitted after they developed the fairly well known issue with the plastic pistons expanding when warm and lever blade sticking.
If you're doing the job yourself that wee circlip in there is a bastard without small but long fine nose circlip pliers.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
fitted after they developed the fairly well known issue with the plastic pistons expanding when warm and lever blade sticking.
If you're doing the job yourself that wee circlip in there is a bastard without small but long fine nose circlip pliers.
They were fairly easy to warranty the levers over here and get replacements, I ended up having to do a set of mine and wifey's.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Same over here but they were well past their warranty period.

Oct 29, 2007
They were fairly easy to warranty the levers over here and get replacements, I ended up having to do a set of mine and wifey's.
For a while there they were comping us at the shop stacks of chains and brake pads to perform the warranty service, but unfortunately that program is over for the Guides, as all of the affected levers are 3+ years old at this point. Caught me by surprise when that happened, as it was standard operating procedure at the shop. Now we just sell them new lever assemblies, but I personally feel that replacing the pistons would probably be a better deal for everyone involved.

Oct 29, 2007
Fingers crossed the Knipex snap ring pliers are fit for the job. I've heard its a finicky piece to access. But...one of the most satisfying tools to use, right behind the hammer.

Oct 29, 2007
Got to exploring aliexpress after reading this thread, and coincidentally the Guide RS master cylinder on my hardtail failed while sitting in a cold garage. I had seen the Risk titanium lever piston kits on aliX, and am going to give them a try. Looks like there are several version of this product, including some that claim to use Trelleborg seals, and another that is shipped immersed in DOT fluid in a small vial. Couldn't imagine they are any worse than my stuck OEM plastic piston, but I will report back when they arrive and I can drop them in.
These pistons finally showed up; machining and seal quality seemed really good. Installation was no problem, but it was a bit tricky to fit the new oil seals and to find the right snap ring pliers to pull the old m/c piston. My Knipex set was too large, but the cheap (quality not price) Park set was able to fit fine once I rotated the snap ring to an accessible angle.

No ride time yet, but they bled up fine, and the lever feel seems way better. Given, my old oil seals were caked in grime, but probably the best feeling result of any of the Guide brakes I've bled (hundreds). Certainly worth $8 and an hour or so.

Fat Larry

Chimp
Feb 3, 2022
Hi guys, signed up to ask if anyone has any experience with the Uno branded stuff on ali? Are they really genuine Kalloy UNO stems and bars?

I'm building up and enduro bike and also want to change the stem and bars on my dirt jumper.

Also anyone have any experience with the following stems?

Redshift

Ryet

Meroca

Zeroing

I've been happy with the snail and litepro chain rings and sunrace cassettes i've bought from there. Plus all the small sundry parts and tools have generally been fine as well but cockpit stuff for bikes i'll be hitting drops and jumps on makes me nervous.

Have some Rockbros pedals to test out and i use their gloves as well which have been good.

I bought the classic wake stem.. but thankfully found all the bad info out there and won't be using it..

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Aliexpress stem and bars are going to be a no from me dawg. Actual nice stems are only $50.

Now that this thread had bumped though. Has anyone seen anything on the new 1k lumen rockbros light with usb-c charging for $25? Amazon reviews say it barely hits an hour on high, but that was the extent of the negativityI saw.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hi guys, signed up to ask if anyone has any experience with the Uno branded stuff on ali? Are they really genuine Kalloy UNO stems and bars?

I'm building up and enduro bike and also want to change the stem and bars on my dirt jumper.

Also anyone have any experience with the following stems?

Redshift

Ryet

Meroca

Zeroing

I've been happy with the snail and litepro chain rings and sunrace cassettes i've bought from there. Plus all the small sundry parts and tools have generally been fine as well but cockpit stuff for bikes i'll be hitting drops and jumps on makes me nervous.

Have some Rockbros pedals to test out and i use their gloves as well which have been good.

I bought the classic wake stem.. but thankfully found all the bad info out there and won't be using it..
I'll second leafy and say that this isn't an area that even I would save money on. You can get decent 7k series stems for the $50 mark, and even the renowned Kalloy Uno 7k series stem comes in at like $25: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116669&start=360

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
And for my own sketchy part amusement The ee wings doupe. Welding titanium is hard, like basically you can do well and if comes out great or you can do it poorly and the joint can be broken with a couple fingers. So in pretty confident that they're actually pretty good, if they come in at the quoted weight they're like 1/4 pounds lighter than stiff carbon cranks at the same price.

US $399.99 | Handmade Titanium Crankset MTB Crank ARMS Crankset Mountain bike Crank arms Road Bike Crankset Titanium MTB Parts

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And for my own sketchy part amusement The ee wings doupe. Welding titanium is hard, like basically you can do well and if comes out great or you can do it poorly and the joint can be broken with a couple fingers. So in pretty confident that they're actually pretty good, if they come in at the quoted weight they're like 1/4 pounds lighter than stiff carbon cranks at the same price.

US $399.99 | Handmade Titanium Crankset MTB Crank ARMS Crankset Mountain bike Crank arms Road Bike Crankset Titanium MTB Parts

Get them and report back. If we don't hear from you it would be safe to assume they didn't work out.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Haha. Maybe next year when I get my wife a new wheelset and upgrade her from nx to xt, I'm give her the carbon cranks from my trail pistol and try these.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Actually would like to hear the results on these. Can do custom q factor if wanted is interesting. Wonder if they could change length too?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Um…yeah. Even the “big” Ti manufacturers don’t do it right all the time and moots or lite speed or whatever cracks. I don’t have much faith in the QC ensuring the welds were 100% oxygen free. $400 is still a big chunk of change with no recourse when they race face on you.

if they come in at the quoted weight they're like 1/4 pounds lighter than stiff carbon cranks at the same price.
Being significantly lighter than CF cranks seems like a red flag…

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Um…yeah. Even the “big” Ti manufacturers don’t do it right all the time and moots or lite speed or whatever cracks. I don’t have much faith in the QC ensuring the welds were 100% oxygen free. $400 is still a big chunk of change with no recourse when they race face on you.

Being significantly lighter than CF cranks seems like a red flag…
They're still heavier than real eewings by line 20g. With Ti they're either going to break from the force of tightening the pedals in or they're welded well. It's hard to only kind of fuck up hand tig welding Ti that thin, you're either in a full argon chamber and you get good penetration (or you get basically no penetration) or you're trying to just run it with torch gas and it's going to have obvious porosity since there's no real way to backpurge that it'll have blowouts.

I'd feel even more certain they'd be good if they were laser welded. But they're clearly not.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They're still heavier than real eewings by line 20g. With Ti they're either going to break from the force of tightening the pedals in or they're welded well. It's hard to only kind of fuck up hand tig welding Ti that thin, you're either in a full argon chamber and you get good penetration (or you get basically no penetration) or you're trying to just run it with torch gas and it's going to have obvious porosity since there's no real way to backpurge that it'll have blowouts.

I'd feel even more certain they'd be good if they were laser welded. But they're clearly not.
Or they could be made from shit titanium.

As a crank bender/cracker I'd be paranoid using those cranks, I'd feel much safer with the DIY eeWings kit-

Last edited:

Fat Larry

Chimp
Feb 3, 2022
Well i ordered some UNO bars off Ali for the DJ, have been assured they're genuine, and UNO does have manufacturing in China. Would probably get one of their stems as well if i could find a 35mm one in Silver/chrome.

Will report back if i die. Pretty sure they'll be fine given Kalloy UNO is the OEM for heaps of brands.

I saw DA Bomb have a nice shiny silver stem that looks burly for DJ. Might get that. Haven't seen all that many options in silver aside from Chromag.. but they're $150 where i am.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I recently bought an UNO stem from UK amazon (as we needed it quickly) for my GF's roadbike.
The packaging had no mention of Kalloy and I have no way of knowing if it's actually manufactured by them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I recently bought an UNO stem from UK amazon (as we needed it quickly) for my GF's roadbike.
The packaging had no mention of Kalloy and I have no way of knowing if it's actually manufactured by them.
It is one stem, accurate advertising.

Fat Larry

Chimp
Feb 3, 2022
Kalloy being an oem that doesn't necessarily surprise.

Fat Larry

Chimp
Feb 3, 2022
I wrote to Kaloy asking if a few random Ali links were genuine parts by them. They replied that yes, they were. They also sent a catalogue with their latest stems all of which i've found on Ali, so stuff like this > https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003440346495.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.232a3c00CDCTB0&mp=1
Is real 6061 T6 alloy tested to ISO mtb standards. It won't explode if you look at it funny. Seems like a good option for a cheap stem. I'll be grabbing a couple.

Last edited: