Quantcast

Alibayexpress parts you love

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Where would sandwich be without some goofy shit too?

Had to take a risk:

I mean it's got to be higer quality, it says so right on the box. But seriously, @$14 USD, this is roughly 1/4 the cost of the comparable cane creek product. The headset has sealed bearings and the upper bearing cover has rubber seals at the steerer and over the bearing itself. The crown race is split, which I love, but unsealed. For what is basically two bearings and a compression ring, I took the risk.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
hi phi:

These are 10sp road shifters for a budget commuter build. They are shockingly high quality. The brake action is smooth and the shifting feels crisp. Will need to install and test but they were ~1/3 the cost of a used set of shimano 10 speed shifters
Your mtb tire is flat. :(

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
hi phi:

These are 10sp road shifters for a budget commuter build. They are shockingly high quality. The brake action is smooth and the shifting feels crisp. Will need to install and test but they were ~1/3 the cost of a used set of shimano 10 speed shifters
I read/watched something a couple of days ago that said there would be a cheap electronic groupset from one of the Chinese brands before too long as they're much easier to build than mechanical shifters - a couple of switches versus the ratcheting design for mechanical.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I read/watched something a couple of days ago that said there would be a cheap electronic groupset from one of the Chinese brands before too long as they're much easier to build than mechanical shifters - a couple of switches versus the ratcheting design for mechanical.
Here ya go:

Looks like they ran into patent issues with SRAM because of the way the battery attaches to the RD.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have mixed feelings here. For road, I think it's stupid. While I trust shifters and a seatpost and maybe a stem to cheap chinese knockoffs, I'm not ready for brakes yet. Road setups are totally integrated and you can't have a shifter without brakes along with it, and nobody is running mechanical disks anymore.

On the MTB side, I am all for it. If I could run 11 speed electronic, I might. 12 speed AXS on my road bike is a revelation- it's so good. AXS and XD are the two SRAM innovations I like...and that's pretty much it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I see the advantage if you have multiple bikes. You can move your good group around between bikes.
Still don't know why there is no possibility to set up the electronic SRAM AXS for other number of gears besides 12 and spacing.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Have any of you seen the price of the SRAM's AXS powermeter road chainrings?
£800 because the power meter part is of the crankset is fixed to the one piece chainring assembly so it's ultimately a disposible part when you replace the chainrings.
One local roadie who's bike I work on wore out the rings in just a few weeks during a training camp in Spain.
I had to call SRAM tech to confirm the power meter couldn't simply be re-used with new (£300) chainrings

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I see the advantage if you have multiple bikes. You can move your good group around between bikes.
Still don't know why there is no possibility to set up the electronic SRAM AXS for other number of gears besides 12 and spacing.
I "think" the 12 speed road shifters can be used with older 11 speed derailleurs. Vaguely recall reading that, but haven't tried reprogramming my wife's road bike 12sp shifters to do my 11sp shifting :p

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I "think" the 12 speed road shifters can be used with older 11 speed derailleurs. Vaguely recall reading that, but haven't tried reprogramming my wife's road bike 12sp shifters to do my 11sp shifting :p
Good on you that you let your wife have control over your shifting while riding. ;)
If you find the article where you read it, please linky!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Where would sandwich be without some goofy shit too?

Had to take a risk:

I mean it's got to be higer quality, it says so right on the box. But seriously, @$14 USD, this is roughly 1/4 the cost of the comparable cane creek product. The headset has sealed bearings and the upper bearing cover has rubber seals at the steerer and over the bearing itself. The crown race is split, which I love, but unsealed. For what is basically two bearings and a compression ring, I took the risk.
With those spacers, name checks out.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not science but road bikes do tend to look awful with even slight rise to the stem.
That one steerer clamp bolt Truvativ stem looks like a piece of shit though but with a spangly lizard inspired hammerite paint job I'd doubt the bike's going to turn out a looker ;)

Weirdly those cheap Sensai 10 spd STIs seem to have tiagra 4700 shimano compatible cable pull.
Althoughtiagra 4700 is a 10 speed group it used 11 speed cable pull so bear that in mind if you ever mate them with a shimano rear mech. ie. an 11 spd shimano road mech (5800, 6800 etc) will be compatible but traditional 10 spd (10 spd 105, Deore, saint, zee etc. ) isn't

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nothing like running heaps of spacers with a drop stem, I'm sure there's some roadie science to it that I don't understand.
this might blow your minds, but the bike isn't finished yet. I threw it together to test for fit. And everything made by SRAM looks like a piece of shit.

The shifters I got are 4600/5600/6600 compatible allegedly. There is a separate shifter for 4700 called the quantum.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ah..normal 10spd compatibility makes a lot more sense. I guess Sensai must do a few different variations.
4700 was a weird move by shimano and a PITA with compatibility. It's saving grace being 11spd cable pull it means 4700 mechs are a cheap option for 11 speed and 11 speed 105 and higher mechs can be used as an upgraded replacement for an old 4700 drivetrain

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Have any of you seen the price of the SRAM's AXS powermeter road chainrings?
£800 because the power meter part is of the crankset is fixed to the one piece chainring assembly so it's ultimately a disposible part when you replace the chainrings.
One local roadie who's bike I work on wore out the rings in just a few weeks during a training camp in Spain.
I had to call SRAM tech to confirm the power meter couldn't simply be re-used with new (£300) chainrings
his fault for „needing“ RED instead of just using force components

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why the fuck do you think he needs "blamed" ?
The bike is an obscenely high spec'd incredible VFM Canyon. How the fuck was he to know just a few months down the line the power meter would become landfill due to worn chainring teeth?
He. Unlike you and I. Didn't even actually complain.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
While we are debating over roadie stuff, my friend who has a bike shop has been selling these for a while now:

They are in their second or third iteration now, and have sorted out most of the first gen issues. Power measurement is accurate enough (when compared to Quarx or SRM), have ANT+ compatibility, and they offer decent, local warranty and support (if they stop working, you get a new one, no questions asked). And at least down here they are cheaper than the Magene ones:

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
While we are debating over roadie stuff, my friend who has a bike shop has been selling these for a while now:

They are in their second or third iteration now, and have sorted out most of the first gen issues. Power measurement is accurate enough (when compared to Quarx or SRM), have ANT+ compatibility, and they offer decent, local warranty and support (if they stop working, you get a new one, no questions asked). And at least down here they are cheaper than the Magene ones:

Neat. My absolute hatred for Cinch could get me on board with a cinch spider/5 bolt chainring on my roadie.

Instead I have power pedals which are pretty dope and can be swapped between bikes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Looks great until you click on the "Crank compatibility" link. :panic:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Looks great until you click on the "Crank compatibility" link. :panic:
d'oh

I'd only glanced at my phone the other day and just tried to look as I'd have been interested.

edit: also it states $299 on the lists and then $329 when you click on the item

Last edited: