Quantcast

Alibayexpress parts you love

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I only had Louise and Julie brakes from around 04, the Goodridge lines were awesome compared to the Magura ones.
I'd imagine if there wasn't an improvement to be had they wouldn't have added the extra material to the later ones.
The magura lines I remember were real hard small diameter plastic, not very flexible in any direction...but probably at least a generation before what you were using. Back in the 98-02 timeframe.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Guys, I need to buy some hose and fittings to refresh a couple of shimano brakes. Anyone have experience with Ali hydro parts? Do i need to worry about quality or are they all much the same and if so any recommendations for brands that make good stuff? Was thinking to go with Kingstop or Risk, but there are much cheaper options available.
I don't have any experience with the brands you mentioned, but Quaxar brake line kits are tits for the money. Down here it's just easier to get them than Shimano or SRAM ones, they are cheaper and work well.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Guys, I need to buy some hose and fittings to refresh a couple of shimano brakes. Anyone have experience with Ali hydro parts? Do i need to worry about quality or are they all much the same and if so any recommendations for brands that make good stuff? Was thinking to go with Kingstop or Risk, but there are much cheaper options available.
I have metal piston and seal kits in a set of Guide RS levers, an Alu HTII crank preload cap in a set of SAINT cranks, a sealed bearing semi integrated headset in my GFs mtb and replacement Ti conical caliper spacers (to replace shite SRAM ones which kept snapping after a while on the back of my Emtb) all sold under the RISK brand and all have been perfectly fine.

I would not go with Risk though. Bad name for product.
'KINGSTOP! is an even funnier name for brake fittings than RISK.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't have any experience with the brands you mentioned, but Quaxar brake line kits are tits for the money. Down here it's just easier to get them than Shimano or SRAM ones, they are cheaper and work well.
Jagwire also do decent quality hose/fitting kits slightly cheaper than Shimano or SRAM

Fat Larry

Chimp
Feb 3, 2022
Hydro hose is pretty "dumb" IME, as in it's pretty hard to screw up. It just has to be the right size. Your olives have to be the right size/type, etc.

I would not go with Risk though. Bad name for product.
That's Chinese using english words for you. I'm sure they must be taking the piss by now.

The brand has been good in my limited experience with them. Used their Ti pistons to refurbish some Shimano brake levers and so far so good.

Its not always the way but any products sold on ali with a brand on them can be assumed to probably be better quality/have at least some effort put into them over knock offs or no brand stuff.

Kingstop brake pads also review well and i have some semi metal examples that'll be going into some brakes in the future.

Last edited:

Fat Larry

Chimp
Feb 3, 2022
Snail is even funnier for brakes.
I have some of their 30t chainrings. Still yet to mount so can't comment on how they are but i can tell you they're light alu and very cheap... Don't expect them to last long.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They actually last longer than many high end expensive "branded" NW chainrings.

been running them (and other chinese 104 4bolt NW rings) for 5+ years on normal and Ebikes

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
They actually last longer than many high end expensive "branded" NW chainrings.

been running them (and other chinese 104 4bolt NW rings) for 5+ years on normal and Ebikes
Same here, they work pretty well and long.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The one with the smaller pads seems only suitable for lighter use as the pads can easily be fully compressed. I assume it´d still be more than enough if the bike has minimal chainslap already and you wanna keep things looking clean.
I got one of the smaller pads and I am pretty sure that the "big knobs" are hollow. WTF? Do not recommend.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have any of you seen the price of the SRAM's AXS powermeter road chainrings?
£800 because the power meter part is of the crankset is fixed to the one piece chainring assembly so it's ultimately a disposible part when you replace the chainrings.
One local roadie who's bike I work on wore out the rings in just a few weeks during a training camp in Spain.
I had to call SRAM tech to confirm the power meter couldn't simply be re-used with new (£300) chainrings
they do make a standalone spider w/ power meter. (sorry for being late to the party here)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. That wasn't the issue.
The power meter part of his direct mount integrated double chainrings and power meter assembly was working absolutely fine. But no longer useable safely attached to chainrings with teeth resembling a circular saw.

Fat Larry

Chimp
Feb 3, 2022
I wish I could find generic 223x 2.0 mm 6 bolt rotors from chyna.
(Galfer rip-offs)
I haven't seen any 220mm rotors on ali yet. Keen on some as well.

I have a set of these in 203 >https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004323711635.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.55df1802AOhvFM

Haven ridden them yet but they seem really well made.

I'm going to order some of these rotors as they're 2.3mm thick https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004888333509.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.77ef38daIRQYV6&mp=1

The brakes look like they have potential as well but i don't need any brakes right now.

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Looking at parts for a budget build.. anyone look into cranks? Need 165mm, sram dm, found these:
US $49.90 50%OFF | SENICX MTB Mountain Bike Crankset GXP Bicycle Crank 165mm 170mm 175mm Aluminum Alloy crank
These look decent also, but no 165mm:

US $49.41 33%OFF | ZRACE BLADE 1 x 10 11 12 Speed Crankset Eagle Tooth for MTB XC / TR / AM 170 / 175mm,32T/34T/36T,BB68/73 Chainset

I probably should just get some cheap sx/nx/descendant cranks, but these seems more fun haha

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Looking at parts for a budget build.. anyone look into cranks? Need 165mm, sram dm, found these:
US $49.90 50%OFF | SENICX MTB Mountain Bike Crankset GXP Bicycle Crank 165mm 170mm 175mm Aluminum Alloy crank
o
These look decent also, but no 165mm:
US $53.32 14%OFF | ZRACE BLADE 1X10/11/12 Speed Sram Crankset Eagle Tooth for MTB Bike XC/TR/AM 170/175mm,32T/34T/36T,BB68/73 DUB BSA Bottom Bracke

I probably should just get some cheap sx/nx/descendant cranks, but these seems more fun haha
Link no worky.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No weight mentioned? :think: This needs a review by our resident cheap ass @Sandwich .
As much as I love my cheap ali shit, I'm still hesitant about off-brand stems bars and cranks. I've been on my knockoff FSA stem for a couple of hundred miles, but that's a pretty low-stress usage. I can't bring myself to do handlebars and cranks, while they are aluminum and can be copied well, it's fairly safe to say that this is a place that mush-metal isn't a good choice.

When I chose a cheap set of cranks for my spooky, I ended up with some "ew they're FSA" takeoffs on ebay. They are probably identical to what you can get on aliexpress, but I paid $45 for some lightly used BB386 Gossamers that will do just fine and will probably weigh similar and perform similarly to either of these ali cranks. Still, they're a brand name and FSAs, good or garbage, are what they are and really aren't a mystery.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Here is what that Ztto cassette looks like after about 1100km or so. Used with one cheap Shimano Deore 12 speed chain.

The wear seems decent? The Shimano derailleur took some major fiddling to shift just right, so I ran it for a while when it wasn't as smooth.

Only complaint is that sometimes the chain drops down the cassette while back pedaling in the 11th gear. But I've only noticed this when stopped.

For the cost of it (half that of Sram GX eagle), I'd definitely buy another.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
An early vote for Deckas (or any other similar brand) 2.0mm floating rotors. For $4.5 a piece in 180mm it was hard not to try them after growing tired of the inability of my now former Formula rotors to stay true for more than 3 minutes.

At first I was concerned about the possible contact between the rivets holding the steel part to the aluminum carrier, or not having enough overlap between the pads and the rotor, but they were fine in those aspects. Took them less than a ride to loosen up a bit and start tracking the caliper.

I'll report back in a few months (straightened and cleaned the old Formula rotors just in case).

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Has anyone tried one of these cheap Ztto or similar bottom brackets?

I mean, they can't be any worse than the absolutecrap $80 RaceFace ones, right? Right??

I have two CaneCreek Hellbender bottom brackets, really need to see if I can pop the bearings out and see what is behind them. Had to stop using them because they kept binding on the shell... Maybe I can shim it noaw

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Has anyone tried one of these cheap Ztto or similar bottom brackets?

I mean, they can't be any worse than the absolutecrap $80 RaceFace ones, right? Right??

I have two CaneCreek Hellbender bottom brackets, really need to see if I can pop the bearings out and see what is behind them. Had to stop using them because they kept binding on the shell... Maybe I can shim it noaw
I have had a BB302BSA one with a different brand stamped on it for ~3 years. The included bearings shat the bed pretty fast, but since I threw some SKF goodness in there it's been flawless.

EDIT: It also came with a nice aluminum BB wrench. Nice touch, as I didn't have the right one.

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
An early vote for Deckas (or any other similar brand) 2.0mm floating rotors. For $4.5 a piece in 180mm it was hard not to try them after growing tired of the inability of my now former Formula rotors to stay true for more than 3 minutes.

At first I was concerned about the possible contact between the rivets holding the steel part to the aluminum carrier, or not having enough overlap between the pads and the rotor, but they were fine in those aspects. Took them less than a ride to loosen up a bit and start tracking the caliper.

I'll report back in a few months (straightened and cleaned the old Formula rotors just in case).
Yeah I just got a ZRACE 180mm centre lock for the woman's bike just as an experiment
zrace.jpeg
zrace.jpeg

Time will tell