Quantcast

alienation 2, fs100 0, khe 0

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
so we got my rims built up today and they look sick. we noticed the runaways have a lower profile than any other rims availbale and that the bead "grabber" is very small. I inflated my front fs100 to 6-8 si and it blew off trashing the bead, tire had less than 3 rides on it. next we did the khe prototype to 120 psi. tube bles and no drive side came off the rim. both beads were seated correctly in the rim. both happened while sitting on the grond, not mounted on the bike. i currently have had them infalted for around 5 hours (khe rear w/ 100, and schwalbee tt in the front with 65 psi) and no problems yet. just a heads up. we called alienation to let them know about the problem and they are waiting for the boss to return from taiiwan so well have to wait it out. Im pissed though, out two tubes and a brand new tigoa fs100- that you cannot get in the US. definately going to try and get a new tire out of tioga or alienation, cannot believe it. the bead is completely trashed.

on a positive note my profile fron/competition/alloy nip/runaway and rear 4stroke/competition/alloy nip/runaway weights almost 2 lbs less than my hayes/straight gauge/brass/mtx and 4stroke/straight gauge/brass/atomlab trailpimp

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
FYI - this hasn't happened to me and I have installed and taken off both f/r tires 3 times now.

I will say this I did notice that I was able to put the tires on and take them off with my bare hands. Based upon my experience with XC rims I carefully inflated the tires each time stopping around 20psi to check for an even seat on the bead.

I also have railed all the berms at RaysMTB pretty hard on these rims with FS100s and TTops f/r and they haven't rolled or flatted or had any problems at all.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
damn dex that blows. man i would be pissed too. 1 proto tire and 1 hard to come by tire ruined. best of luck working it out with alienation.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
damn dex that blows. man i would be pissed too. 1 proto tire and 1 hard to come by tire ruined. best of luck working it out with alienation.
Ya good luck. BTW - I can tottaly see how this would happen too, just have to be careful.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
just got done riding them and man are they stiff and look slick as hell. the tires stayed on all day after my first post and all ride so i think they are set pretty damn well but time will tell. should have some pics up of them shortly

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
i had this problem on my 20" alienations too when i got my plytes

i inflated the tires to like 20psi or so when i first put them on because they were so stiff and the first attempt blew the tube and almost my tire. after i let it sit for a few, i inflated it up 20 mor or so, then let it sit till ig ot to 80psi. worked fine.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Update! (does anyone know if alienation corrected the smaller diameter issue? mine were one of the first ordered from qbp..)

I put a khe mac2 on the rear runaway and had it explode off twice now. Once just sitting in my basement... and it had been on the bike inflated for a week but no rides on it... the other was a week ago I was riding on completely smooth pavement going 24mph coasting. Man that explosion was really really loud.

So... I remounted it to 25psi and rolled around putting all my weight on the bike... visually checked things out and inflated to 100 psi. Rode raysmtb hard on it last night for 3 hours... so far so good.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i was going to try the alienation but ill wait to see when the 24 hazard lites will come out.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Got nothing against 'em... just wanted to try the runaways last year.

Don you are gonna love the new pump track and features @ RaysMTB. I have ridden over 3400 single speed 90 gear inch road miles this summer... so my legs are super strong but the first hard at rays and my legs feel like noodles... Rays is sooo freak'in sweet.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Got nothing against 'em... just wanted to try the runaways last year.

Don you are gonna love the new pump track and features @ RaysMTB. I have ridden over 3400 single speed 90 gear inch road miles this summer... so my legs are super strong but the first hard at rays and my legs feel like noodles... Rays is sooo freak'in sweet.
haha, I saw your post and wanted to ask how Ray's was but didn't want to derail too much. I was talking with Charloots about getting a little trip out there (Stoked - whatcha think?) this winter. Good to hear that place is getting better and better each year.

And 3400 SS miles?! WTF that's a lot. You sell your car or something?

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
haha, I saw your post and wanted to ask how Ray's was but didn't want to derail too much. I was talking with Charloots about getting a little trip out there (Stoked - whatcha think?) this winter. Good to hear that place is getting better and better each year.

And 3400 SS miles?! WTF that's a lot. You sell your car or something?
It is better this year... Still have cars just been commuting to work... Job is really frustrating/stressful so I take it out on the commute trying to average 20mph or greater... oh and I live in the city (near that bar/cheese sandwich place) so riding is way more convienant. City bike riding is to DH as rugby is to football.. bigger more frequent risks without any of the padding or safety gear... although I do wear a bmx lid on the road.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
oh hell yeah man. lets start thinking of dates.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
oh hell yeah man. lets start thinking of dates.
Definitely. Weekends may be tough for me but I might be able to get one of them. My B-Day is in December so I'll put a Ray's trip at the top of the list :D Trail session is still going strong so I think a Dec, Jan, or Feb might be good.

I should be able to bring the GMC 'Burbon too. It's got seating for 7 and goes down the highway pretty good.