Quantcast

Alignment Issues on Avid Codes

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Hey guys.

Hopefully someone can help me with an issue. About 6 month ago I vbled my Codes. The front is sweet as however the rear one is moving the rotor while braking, resulting in a howl and not as much power as they once had! The caliper body itself cannot be moved anymore to aid in aligning this. Is there a way to use the bleed ports on each side to fix this problem??

Any helpful advice would be great!!

Thanks

PS. WORLD CUP THIS WEEKEND.....YEow!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Have you tried the following:

-push pistons in
-loosen adjusting bolts just enough to allow movement
-put business card between both pad/rotor mating surfaces
-squeeze the brake lever
-tighten the adjusting bolts in small inciments (1/8th turns) till tight
-release lever and remove business cards

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Have you tried the following:

-push pistons in
-loosen adjusting bolts just enough to allow movement
-put business card between both pad/rotor mating surfaces
-squeeze the brake lever
-tighten the adjusting bolts in small inciments (1/8th turns) till tight
-release lever and remove business cards
Certainly have. That is all part of my bleeding process and I have also done it again afterwards. No worky..

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Don't get insulted by any of these questions... I just want to make sure the basics are covered. Sometimes it's the most simple thing, especially when it used to work perfectly before you did maintenance.

Have you tried Re-bleeding it?

Is one piston sticking while the other moves freely?

Have you tried a ghetto bleed? Where you gently squeeze the brake lever and let out a little bit of fluid (might be an air bubble behind one piston).

Is your axle sitting correctly in the dropouts? I've had it happen where the axle is not sitting where it should be.

Is the brake adapter installed correctly? I've done it myself where I put the brake adapter in the wrong direction or used the wrong adapter.

Is the mating surface between the rotor and the hub free of debris?

If you're re-using brake pads, is one pad more used than the other? Maybe try swapping pads (in to out)?

Got any pics? Pics of your setup may be useful.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Hmmm, everything you've said except the surface between the rotor and the hub as well as the possibility of a piston not moving has been attempted. I would be suprised if the surface between the the rotor and hub has anything in there as I haven't taken it off? Then again there may inlie the issue. I'll check that tomorrow as well as the pistons to be sure they are working. If none of this works I will attempt a re-bleed and focus on the side that is hanging to far out to allow for alignment.
Thanks for your help, I'm not offended at all, in order to help you need to ask what exactly I have done. No worries.
I'll post how it goes tomorrow evening.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Fixed posts or is there an adapter on the rear? I had to run thin shims on both my demo and blindside adapters to get the alingment perfect.

But yeah, open the bleed port and press all four pistons back into the body. Replace the pads and rebleed.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Thanks mate. I'm gunna bleed em again when I get the chance and push the pistons back, again! Shims aren't necessary because the last time they we're bled there were no issues.

I'll post up the outcome once I get around to doing this.

Cheers!

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
So I had a look, finally at my rear brake tonight. Seems it was dirt and what-not under the washers (as "ultraNoob" suggested at one point) effecting the mounting of the caliper. I think it may still be making some howls (will ride tomorrow arvo and see) but the brake is already crisper with more power and no rubbing. Thanks for your help guys. I'll write something after my ride because if it still squeals, I wann know why, They never did before I changed the pads?