Quantcast

Aliso Woods update

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I don't know if this has already been posted, so here it is again if someone beat me to it.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/local/abox/article_712891.php

Orange County Register said:
LAGUNA BEACH – Developers behind the Montage Resort have scrapped a controversial plan to expand a nine-hole golf course into a county-owned wilderness park.

The Athens Group has prepared a new pitch since last year, when it met with public and political opposition.

It will unveil a concept Wednesday to develop the Aliso Creek Inn and Golf Course and the neighboring 227-acre Driftwood Estates property.

But the 18-hole course and any plans to encroach on the protected wilderness park are off, Athens officials told 60 neighbors at an invitation-only meeting Monday.

The meeting came after months of outreach by Athens to get the opinions of environmental groups and neighbors, said Joan Gladstone, Athens spokeswoman.

Some at the meeting said few details were given about the Driftwood property and even less was said about the inn.

"I was disappointed they weren't going to talk about the rest," said attendee Bill Rihn, president of the South Laguna Civic Association. "It's all up in the air. We'll still have to wait to find out."

A previous owner's plan approved for Driftwood Estates called for 11 homes on 11 acres, with the remaining land dedicated to open space. That plan expires next week, and Athens won't seek to renew it.

Gladstone said Athens won't propose residential development beyond the 11 acres. The new proposal, including the inn, will dedicate at least as much open space, she said.

Exactly what that will look like is left to the imagination - at least until next week.

"We're going to have to see what we're going to be approved for. It's very much open for discussion," Gladstone said.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Umm...my point? Try reading the article.

Maybe about a year ago, there was a lot of discussion regarding the proposed sale of the Aliso Woods property. There was talk of the area being converted into a golf course, as the article said. It would appear to be good news that the golf course proposal is off the table, that Aliso Woods should remain open to our use.

But you're totally right brah, sand traps and stuff would've been hella sweet for jumpin' cuz...

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I don't know if you went to the meeting a few months ago or not, but apparently there never was an agreement between the Montage and the city...at least not an official one. Losing Aliso would not be good; we might get some sicky gnar gnar sand traps to jump over, but we'd lose a lot of good XC.