Quantcast

All around bike?

jaffro

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Seattle
I know this is a difficult question, but I'm looking for the all around bike. Been looking for a bike to do some cross country and more towards the freeride "light downhill" whatever that means, but definitely needs to be able to go up hills. Right now I'm considering the Yeti AS-X with the DHX air, Specialized Enduro or Enduro SX trail, and the Santa Cruz Nomad. So many options I'm going a bit crazy. Any help much appreciated.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I'd go Enduro/SXT or Nomad, I think either bike you'll be really happy with.

The vpp is a little higher maitenance. Pedals awesome.

The fsr is a little less maitenance and will descend a little better.

I think you'll be really happy with either rig, I was looking into both of these bikes as well.

I chose the SXT because I prefer to build even my trail bike with the descent in mind.

You'll really enjoy either bike and I feel confident saying that.

Freerider697

Monkey
Jun 16, 2005
I have an ASX and i love it. Mine is with the DHX coil, but still climbs fairly well. The DHX air takes off some weight and would make it easier to climb. I downhill at diablo and ride local trails which are also DH, but require alot of pedaling, the versatlilty was one reason I bought it. Its so adjustable that you could go DH one day and All mountain/Freeride the next.
www.dropnzone.com

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
you are asking for the imposible. i have been in seach of that bike for years and to no avail. i have never found a bike that can do it all.

but if you must try i think the SC Nomad is by far the best option out there now

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There are a lot of options but every one will leave you wanting something else at some point...I mean I just don't think there is truly one perfect all around bike. You've got a great list so far. I'd say get out and ride them and go with your gut.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
jaffro said:
I know this is a difficult question, but I'm looking for the all around bike. Been looking for a bike to do some cross country and more towards the freeride "light downhill" whatever that means, but definitely needs to be able to go up hills..
You got to try the turner 6-pack!!
I use mine for full on XC ride with Xc freaks (go up 3 hours until it gets dark, go down using the paved road.. lol)
At the same time I also use it for some full on downhill riding (Whislter, Bootleg Canyon, The SLC trails) and the bike takes it all!
(the bike actually rips downhill)
Quite amazing really.

jaffro

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Seattle
Thanks everyone. Mani, I've looked at Turner but they are pretty damn expensive. Freerider 697: how heavy is your ASX? I was thinking it might be a little too beefy seeing as people ride downhill on 'em. Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride the ASX when I get back to Colorado and go try to demo it at the factory. Unitll then I have to sit here and:drool:

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
spec. enduro or nomad is your best choice, i vote for enduro over the nomad though

Freerider697

Monkey
Jun 16, 2005
rigidhack said:
Check out the Sinister Splinter. It is an amazing bike. I have ridden the Enduro and it is nice, but the Splinter just blew me away. I understand that for 06 they are going to beef up the ER version which could fit the bill perfectly. Trust me, these bikes are works of art!

www.sinisterbikes.com
If u got the chash, these look really great

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I'm biased, but I would go for the SX trail too. Gotta love the fsr design. It pedals well, and is pretty plush with either a 36 or a 66 up front. Dang and a life time warranty, you can't lose.

bigboy

Chimp
Oct 20, 2005
i love my as-x. 7" travel front and back. weighs in at 41 lbs.. has a dhx w/ coil and some big beefy tires on it. i live in upstate ny and do all types of riding with it from downhill to urban..sometimes i do wish it was a bit lighter on climbs but it's definetly built more for freeride/dh. it's a fun bike. it gets my vote.

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
The enduro, Nomad, and intense 6.6 all look good to me...
but since I am poor, I'll just stick with my gemini; does fine.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I just built up a Intense 6.6 and i am loving it, the bike feels great, it totally doesnt feel like you are pedaling a big travel bike..