Quantcast

All around Hardtail?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
I would like to buy a new all around hardtail and I don't mind spending up to $2,000 for a complete build. I have an '02 Chameleon and I love it, but the bike just feels too long to me. I really like the way my Iron Horse SGS Freeride feels in terms of a tight cockpit and I especially like the ease of manualing with the short wheelbase. I would be doing urban, dirt jumping and maybe some trail riding. Weight is also not a huge issue but I would like to keep it in the 35-36lb range if possible. Any feeback would be appreciated. Would probably be running a 5-6" single crown on the bike. :help:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Bullit21 said:
I would like to buy a new all around hardtail and I don't mind spending up to $2,000 for a complete build. I have an '02 Chameleon and I love it, but the bike just feels too long to me. I really like the way my Iron Horse SGS Freeride feels in terms of a tight cockpit and I especially like the ease of manualing with the short wheelbase. I would be doing urban, dirt jumping and maybe some trail riding. Weight is also not a huge issue but I would like to keep it in the 35-36lb range if possible. Any feeback would be appreciated. Would probably be running a 5-6" single crown on the bike. :help:
I hear what you mean about the chameleon.

Consider the evil soverign (i have one) &/or DOC.
Unless you're going to be dishing out serious serious abuse (or have only one bike), I don't see a need for an imperial.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'll second the Evil Sovereign or DOC. I ride a Sovereign and it's super versatile and can do any of the things you mentioned.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
just got the ironhorse yakuza bakuto. i love it. i rode it to work today. it feels very good. the fork (the budget splice) even feels ok on pavement. maybe you should check supergo for the higher model yakuza. the discount is great.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Next size smaller chameleon?

Seriously, those are very versitile bikes.

Other than that, any of the evil hardtails, cannondale chase has similar numbers to the chameleon, any of the p series or hardrock specialized, man......there are so many good hardtails out there now.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
kidwoo said:
Next size smaller chameleon?

Seriously, those are very versitile bikes.

Other than that, any of the evil hardtails, cannondale chase has similar numbers to the chameleon, any of the p series or hardrock specialized, man......there are so many good hardtails out there now.
Dammit. I just saw this thread, and I was just about to say that.

I love my chameleon. If all that is bothering you is the length, get a shorter one.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
if by "all around" you mean one that has enough seat tube to ride XC trips on, you will need at least 15 or 16" of seat tube. you may want to check out the DMR frames like the trailstar. check go-ride.com for them.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
mandown said:
if by "all around" you mean one that has enough seat tube to ride XC trips on, you will need at least 15 or 16" of seat tube. you may want to check out the DMR frames like the trailstar. check go-ride.com for them.
Mandown,

Genius suggestions as usual :thumb: Sorry I missed the Supergo run but I did get new Hayes pads for our ride tomorrow. :D Can't wait to see the Bakuto in action.

Thanks everyone else for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
Well I gotta say sovereign as well, mine was definitely worth the wait and is the best all around frame I've ever ridden. A longer fork seems to fit the bike well as it gets really steep with a short fork.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
hmm... steep w/ a short fork and the chainstays were too short in the short setting. i only say this from my quick ride on a bud's DOC. he had it set way short on the backside, and i think he was running a short fork too for urban. i thought i would like the DOC, but it was a dissapointment. maybe with a different set up it would feel better to me.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
[/IMG]

I reccommed an azonic evolution w/ a 4-5" fork. I use it for dirt jumping, urban/street riding, xcish trails, dh,fr...

It has very versatile geometry. THere is a 14", 16", I don't know what else. I am 5'3 and riding a 16" (peolpe say it is big, but I like it. Its a very versatile frame. You can find them for about $300 at places.

If you don't want to chose a bunch parts, you can get the Ffeeride build kit and wheelworld.com and sell the 888vf and the others parts that you don't want/fit.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
he never got to ride the one that i had built up. too bad. looks like somebody is coming by to buy it tonight. i also just found a backup buyer. josh, you can be 3rd in line :)

by the way, you can find them for less than $300 most places (unless you are saying $300 CAD).

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
yeah, $250 on go-ride.com
a bit less on cambria.
even less on my "for sale" posting in the frames section (not spam, since i have two potential buyers set up right now)

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I would suggest the Imperial SL, if you can find one anywhere. I absolutely LOVE mine and they come with a 15" seat tube and short (adjustable) stays. All the awesomeness of an Imperial but with a normal seat tube. I absolutely love mine (see sig.)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
another vote for dmrs, there are loads of nice bikes out there. but you got to try steel. its amazing. my dream ht bike was the chamelion for along time, untill i tried a steel frame, you dont get that stiff clunk feel in the rear.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
carbuncle said:
I love my Yakuza Waka-Gashira. I've had it about 6 months now, and it takes a beating and keeps on keeping on.
WERD to the Waka!

the DMR stuff also looks good. check them out at go-ride.com. not a bad price for a classic bike that has been beaten on for years. no dual crown on them though (according to thier website).

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
haha, i did not look at the beginning of this thread. i thought it was another "which HT" thread i am subscribed to. this boy is off the market. josh has the Waka and loves it. you won't sell him anything else... unless i buy a new frame and he decides to copy me again ;)

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
mandown said:
haha, i did not look at the beginning of this thread. i thought it was another "which HT" thread i am subscribed to. this boy is off the market. josh has the Waka and loves it. you won't sell him anything else... unless i buy a new frame and he decides to copy me again ;)
Yes the Waka is my favorite bike right now. Did somebody say Bottle Rocket:love:

Sep 10, 2001
I finally finished my Supercross MX26... It has just enough seat tube for me to still ride XC on... But I built it a little more towards the jump/ DS side of things..

I have a medium Mountain Cycle Rumble frame that needs a new home...

Brian