Quantcast

All around tires for the eastern seaboard?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have my bike pretty dialed for socal where I have been living, but I discovered the other day riding diablo in the rain that my panaracer fire fr tires simply don't stick in the wet. It was a most unpleasant discovery I must say.

I don't think I want a dedicated mud tire, but I need something that can deal with the loamy-slimy-sandy-clay-rocks-roots thing we have going on over here. Any ideas? What do you run for FR/DH? Price and longevity ARE factors as I am currently disemployed.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I have my bike pretty dialed for socal where I have been living, but I discovered the other day riding diablo in the rain that my panaracer fire fr tires simply don't stick in the wet. It was a most unpleasant discovery I must say.

I don't think I want a dedicated mud tire, but I need something that can deal with the loamy-slimy-sandy-clay-rocks-roots thing we have going on over here. Any ideas? What do you run for FR/DH? Price and longevity ARE factors as I am currently disemployed.
I would suggest Kenda nevegals (sticky). Performance vs price vs wear they are hard to beat. Are their better out there....yes........but they are more expensive and do not last as long, IMHO.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I would suggest Kenda nevegals (sticky). Performance vs price vs wear they are hard to beat. Are their better out there....yes........but they are more expensive and do not last as long, IMHO.
Those are a good choice, that usually coincides with the Maxxis Minions....Good all around tire.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
2.5 maxis is a little small I think. don't they measure funny or something? i've never had their tires but my panas are friggin enormous.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the panas are a big tire for sure but they also suck. i didn't think they sucked until i rode my current tires which is a blue groove on the front and a nevegals in the back. they so far has been able to grip in just about every condition i have put them through.

i say buy kenda. great grip and good price

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i ran 2.5s all last season (diablo, shed, massnut, etc), definitely not too small. that's a helluva deal on the high rollers as well.

VSBJake

Chimp
Jul 21, 2006
NoVa
2.5 HIGHRoller best rear tire ever imo! I usually run the 60a cause it lasts longer. Those can be had new for $40-50. Fine unless it's wet; thats when the 42a would really help

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I agree with the two Minion DHF, front and rear. I am running a 2.5 Minion DHF triple compound in the front and a Minion DHF super tacky in the rear.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Michi 32's up front, 24's in the back, sticks to the ground like a fat kid on a twinkie.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I would def run a 2.5 high roller in the back, but i want something a little bigger in the front.

anybody know the biggest nevgal or michi comp that will clear the crown on a 2003 super t?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I know what the manual says, but a 2.5 in what? i've seen a 2.7 maxxis clear, but i don't know how the tires i'm looking at stack up.

Anybody with actual experience using the tire fork combo in question?

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
You can clear a 2.7 High Roller with the 03 Super T or Junior T. I've run that combo (best tire for Whistler :)). Don't know about other Maxxis or Kenda.