Quantcast

All for one

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Y'know there's always been an old skewl tendency on XC rides to have every person fend for themself. Regardless of if you know the area or not, you're not going to screw up my ride, we'll just leave you behind...

Yah sure there are many people who've been up and down the trail enough to be self sufficient. Drop me just about anywhere with enough food, drink, and stable weather, and i can get out of almost anywhere. But there is such an intangable for most people for getting lost, and in certain areas where temperatures can drop below freezing overnight, a crash or mechanical failure can prove life threatening.

Beyond all of this, just out of pure comraderie shouldn't mountain bikers attempt to gravitate towards a more unified feel within a group ride? i mean is it really important to beat the clock, or get the added stretch of trail in at the expense of possibly discouraging someone from our sport/recreation?

Personally when i lead a ride i seperate "the pack" within the trail, but at junctions the group waits for everyone. Many times if there is someone i know and i believe can fend for themself, i'll draw an arrow in the dirt, showing which way to go. Or a radio goes along way in communication. But if someone just disappears i never just leave to resume the trail. Nobody gets left behind.
If someone is used to being dropped and tries to fend for themself, this can make my life pretty difficult since i will stop and backtrack to find the person. Just as in the case of someone getting lost it's always easier for a search and rescue unit to find you if you squat in one place, and stay to be found.

Leading a ride is a responsibility i personally find enjoying. There are a few necessary qualifications i feel that make you a better leader. And much of that comes from ride experience. While i don't feel you should get to a point of holding someones hand on a ride, i think it's a great benefit to bring someone in and make their experience a positive one.

splat

Nam I am
OK Sooks this is needed !

[Rant on] I know exactly what you mean Skooks, When ever I lead a ride , I make sure , go out of my way to make sure we basiaclly stay to gether as a Grourp. and if someone want s to quit early I make surethey get back safe. I really get annoyed , when On a group ride , a "faster " portiojn of the riders , might take off , not make frequent stops , and Assume that you know where you are going at turns. And when the leaders get annoyed that some one is not going fast enough , why did you invite all? or say it was going to be a Fast ride!

and I must say , it does happen that some one will be come disconnected from the group, and I get very upset with my self that i let it happen, I take it personally. And I don't know why some riders seam to have trouble with the concept of make sure the person behind you see's the turn !!

also on the flip side , I have lead rides where I say it is going to be a Long Fast ride ! and some one who I know is slow says they are coming along , how do you tell them Nicely , with out being an ass, that they won't be able to handle it ? and What do you do when they show up ?

[/Rant off]

wow Nice Pics as Usual !!! where is that ? and what Mt. is that in hte distance ?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
splat said:
And I don't know why some riders seam to have trouble with the concept of make sure the person behind you see's the turn !!
There are many tricks to the trade that riders can learn. One is to shout out the turn to someone who behind you. Encourage everyone to communicate. You got quite a distance even in forest to hear someone shout out a direction.
And another is to designate a "sweep". Someone who knows the trail, and your loop good enough to keep the unit tight, or a strong rider who's not worried about going at the pace at the back of the pack.

splat said:
and What do you do when they show up ?
Be assertive. On a ride description i will write it in bold caps. Knowing emails and communicating with people will help, and there is always an option of splitting the group in to two rides groups. Make the slow person the leader of a new group.

splat said:
where is that ? and what Mt. is that in hte distance ?
Hamilton Buttes in the Blue Lakes trail system, Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Mountain in the distance is Mt. Hood in Oregon, the place where i broke my leg.:)

J

JRB

splat said:
<snip>also on the flip side , I have lead rides where I say it is going to be a Long Fast ride ! and some one who I know is slow says they are coming along , how do you tell them Nicely , with out being an ass, that they won't be able to handle it ? and What do you do when they show up ?

[/Rant off]
They offer RLAA (ride like an asshole) where there is no waiting, in Austin. I prefer to stay tight in case someone needs help. I climbed a monster downhill yesterday because my buddy wasn't down yet. No need in ditching folks.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I must say on all the rides I have been on Skooks is the best leader by far. He is a 'light hearted' leader that doesn't get stressed out by leading a group down a wrong turn, or though bad weather. He is a shoot from the hip type rider for sure :thumb:

The best part about riding with Skooks is I always laugh a lot, even if I'm having a bad ride. He always finds something silly to say, or some strange song to sing while flying down the trail :dancing: Plus when you ride behind him he never has bad gas :p

He is my XC riding husband :love:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That post wasn't funny at all; plus, it talked about responsibility and stuff.

Who are you and what have you done with Skookum??!!

I guess there are some nice enviable photos, though, so maybe Skooks just took a hard hit on the head or something. Still, I'm suspicious.

MD

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Snacks said:
I must say on all the rides I have been on Skooks is the best leader by far. He is a 'light hearted' leader that doesn't get stressed out by leading a group down a wrong turn, or though bad weather. He is a shoot from the hip type rider for sure :thumb:

The best part about riding with Skooks is I always laugh a lot, even if I'm having a bad ride. He always finds something silly to say, or some strange song to sing while flying down the trail :dancing: Plus when you ride behind him he never has bad gas :p

He is my XC riding husband :love:
Tim, Your pics look great, well at least the top 1/2 of them. hehe, damn dialup.... but at leasti have a reason to go to work...

And Snacks....

When you were writing this today we were just getting to the top of the 2 mile hill climb. I made it all the way up, and while i was waiting for the slower guys i picked about 2 lbs of mushrooms. Matt even climbed the hill of death with his single 36 tooth ring!! So what happened? I even tried calling once i was up at the peak. Part of making plans is to show up, or at least call when your not.....

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
Tim, Your pics look great, well at least the top 1/2 of them. hehe, damn dialup.... but at leasti have a reason to go to work...

And Snacks....

When you were writing this today we were just getting to the top of the 2 mile hill climb. I made it all the way up, and while i was waiting for the slower guys i picked about 2 lbs of mushrooms. Matt even climbed the hill of death with his single 36 tooth ring!! So what happened? I even tried calling once i was up at the peak. Part of making plans is to show up, or at least call when your not.....
I set the alarm for 6pm instead of 6am :nope:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
loco said:
That's Houston. Totally different bunch of assholes. They couldn't keep up with the Austin assholes. (nor can I :()

A number of TX racers lost to LA and AR boys and girls at Ruston this past Sunday....