Quantcast

All In, no Out

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have some blizzaks right now, but they are the high-end "for fast cars" version that doesn't do shit in the snow/ice. It's basically a tread pattern that will maintain grip in the cold as long as it's on a dry surface, so the tire doesn't become a hockey-puck, but other than that, these "blizzaks" aren't the blizzaks you are looking for. I had the Hakka 8s based on the sizes, looking at Nokians site. Again, they were good. Probably a good bit better than the Toyos I have now, but I'm also 2wd now vs. awd on the Hakkas. The Toyos are kind of a "reduced stud pattern" tire and it's getting harder and harder to find a true studded tire. So you still get "most" of the studded benefit with the Toyos, but not as much as all-out-studded tires. If I could have gotten the Hakkas again for any kind of decent/normal price, I would have.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
once my plan is complete, your attempts at traction in pursuit of animal style will be futile

I ride my bike to my favorite burger joint. MaxxGrip is somewhat excessive for the urban environment but makes for amusing lean angles.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
All fast food is basically garbage and I try to avoid it at all costs. But I will admit to taking down a Double-Double once or twice a year, usually on road trips when there are no other decent/fast/open options. It's pretty solid but underwhelming given all the hype.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
on the rare occasion it snows here i just stay home. not because i can't drive in the snow (i spent 4 winters in upstate NY), but because everyone else here can't.
Things must have changed quite a bit. When I lived in PA in the 80s it snowed a lot. In fact I had to take my first driver's license test in the snow and ice. My car at the time was a massive '76 Chevy Malibu with rear wheel drive of course. And the written test was freakin difficult, loaded with trick questions. Failed both sections IIRCC, which was fairly common. PA was not an easy state to get a DL in. NC, never read the book, scored 100%. They'll give anyone a DL here and it's reflected in the quality of drivers.

I have an uncle who used to be PD in ft Lauderdale. He once 180 fishtailed a truck while test driving it from a dealer with a sales rep in the passenger seat.
Got yelled at by the grocery store manger where I worked for doing donuts in the parking lot after a snow storm.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Things must have changed quite a bit. When I lived in PA in the 80s it snowed a lot. In fact I had to take my first driver's license test in the snow and ice. My car at the time was a massive '76 Chevy Malibu with rear wheel drive of course. And the written test was freakin difficult, loaded with trick questions. Failed both sections IIRCC, which was fairly common. PA was not an easy state to get a DL in. NC, never read the book, scored 100%. They'll give anyone a DL here and it's reflected in the quality of drivers.

Got yelled at by the grocery store manger where I worked for doing donuts in the parking lot after a snow storm.

My old man was a cop; when he taught me how to drive, he took me to parking lots after it snowed so I could learn car control in teh snowz away from innocent victims. That was invaluable.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
My old man was a cop; when he taught me how to drive, he took me to parking lots after it snowed so I could learn car control in teh snowz away from innocent victims. That was invaluable.
Hell yeah !

Leaning how to drive a car in those conditions has done me well over the years. Not a lot of snow here, but when I do have to get out, I usually wait until the other drivers are off the road.

The first snow in my Honda Element, aka, the Toaster, I passed two or three cops on the highway and several cars that had slid off the side after 2-3 in of snow had fallen while we were eating dinner. A couple winters ago I found the car's max snow depth as I got I stuck on top of the snow and had to dig snow out until the wheels would touch again. It's pretty good up to about 4". Five is pushing it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I learned how to drive in a similar car - RWD / engine in the rear / no ABS / no ASR / 5 speed manual. That thing was impossible *not* to fishtail on snow and ice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Yea, I live in philly now. Well near it but still. We rarely get snow anymore.

And my uncle was a cop in florida. It was the 90s. He did what he wanted. Fuck you @stoney.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was in pleasanton the other day. There were 50 cars in line at In and Out and close to 200 at Chic Fil A . You wont see me in either line. I would go to Fat Burgers or Nations first.
I always just go inside; it's faster.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I learned how to drive in a similar car - RWD / engine in the rear / no ABS / no ASR / 5 speed manual. That thing was impossible *not* to fishtail on snow and ice.

I learned in a Fierro and Ferrari 308, so both manual RWD.

Luckily I didn't drive them on snow, I'm sure I would have died. My camaro is so bad on the snow/ice.

There's always one guy on the auto forums that claims they do RWD with racing slicks all day long on frozen lakes.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
El.
Oh.
El.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
El.
Oh.
El.

res ipsa loquitur

Denny Warnick, the Vice President of Operations with In-N-Out, sent KRDO the following statement:
Nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our Customers and Associates. We are committed to doing our part in preventing the transmission of the COVID-19 virus.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yakima Costco says hold my beer