Quantcast

All In, no Out

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
When I lived in the US, and on my many visits, I have sampled your various fast foods. I’ve been to maybe three or four different In-n-Outs, In Cali SF, Cali LAX, Cali somewhere by some trails south of SF (went to that one a few times), Colorado and Arizona. OK five.

All, with the exception of LAX were ‘above average’ for fast food. I’ve had all the Animal style shit and extra done chips and that but mostly just regular. The LAX one was distinctly shit the time I went.

My worst ever experience of US fast food was Taco Bell somewhere in AZ south of Sedona. That shit is literally unfit for human consumption. I got the classic tacos or something, like the flagship product. I managed like three bites. I was nearly sick. When people eat places like that regularly it makes me despair for humanity. Also Dennys. WTF is up with that nutritional void?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I lived in the US, and on my many visits, I have sampled your various fast foods. I’ve been to maybe three or four different In-n-Outs, In Cali SF, Cali LAX, Cali somewhere by some trails south of SF (went to that one a few times), Colorado and Arizona. OK five.

All, with the exception of LAX were ‘above average’ for fast food. I’ve had all the Animal style shit and extra done chips and that but mostly just regular. The LAX one was distinctly shit the time I went.

My worst ever experience of US fast food was Taco Bell somewhere in AZ south of Sedona. That shit is literally unfit for human consumption. I got the classic tacos or something, like the flagship product. I managed like three bites. I was nearly sick. When people eat places like that regularly it makes me despair for humanity. Also Dennys. WTF is up with that nutritional void?
You don't go to Denny's, you end up there.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yeah, we have multiple Taco Bells here in Alaska. There's something that's just inherently wrong about that. I've NEVER been to any of them.

Also, when you go to In n Out and ask for shit off the "secret" menu, but with just a normal name, like "gimme grilled onions" they go ape-shit. It's fun to do.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think there's an entire class/division of restaurants that simply hedges on old people not remembering how bad the food is, Denny's, Village Inn, Golden Corral, etc. Like who would ever get take-out from any of these places? If you wouldn't get take-out from it, it shouldn't exist.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think there's an entire class/division of restaurants that simply hedges on old people not remembering how bad the food is, Denny's, Village Inn, Golden Corral, etc. Like who would ever get take-out from any of these places? If you wouldn't get take-out from it, it shouldn't exist.
My father's favorite restaurant is Red Lobster. I dread the experience of going to one every time I visit. They smell like fish, butter and the chilly breath of the grim reaper.

There is a old Howard Johnson's where I-65 and the Blue Ridge Parkway intersect, it was closed in 1998. I would park there regularly for rides. Few things entertained me more than seeing old couples angrily shaking the locked door wondering why they can't get in, and it happened most of the time I was there. The place just shut down one day. All the tables were set and there were bottles of ketchup on every table, the lobby had vending machines with 30 year old candy still inside. The miraculous thing is that no one ever broke in and ransacked the place.

Who fucking sees this and has the overwhelming urge to get a patty melt?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There is a old Howard Johnson's where I-65 and the Blue Ridge Parkway intersect, it was closed in 1998. I would park there regularly for rides. Few things entertained me more than seeing old couples angrily shaking the locked door wondering why they can't get in, and it happened most of the time I was there.
1606014654112.png

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

I do not understand this whatsoever. America has incredible food, if you look beyond the strip. Why did you waste so many meal opportunities with fast food?
when I travel I look at every meal as a possible discovery.
you may, however, go to Popeye’s.
ill join you.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
You don't go to Denny's, you end up there at 3:30 AM
FTFY

My father's favorite restaurant is Red Lobster. I dread the experience of going to one every time I visit. They smell like fish, butter and the chilly breath of the grim reaper.

There is a old Howard Johnson's where I-65 and the Blue Ridge Parkway intersect, it was closed in 1998. I would park there regularly for rides. Few things entertained me more than seeing old couples angrily shaking the locked door wondering why they can't get in, and it happened most of the time I was there. The place just shut down one day. All the tables were set and there were bottles of ketchup on every table, the lobby had vending machines with 30 year old candy still inside. The miraculous thing is that no one ever broke in and ransacked the place.

Who fucking sees this and has the overwhelming urge to get a patty melt?

dude. i know dat place. also, what did you ride from there??? i was kinda on the way to big levels/sherando, but not really...
also, also, you spelled "64" wrong

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
FTFY

dude. i know dat place. also, what did you ride from there??? i was kinda on the way to big levels/sherando, but not really...
also, also, you spelled "64" wrong

Road rides. That stretch of the parkway and the east/west highways were amazing.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Road rides. That stretch of the parkway and the east/west highways were amazing.
no road rides for me, but true dat. we used to love watching the hang gliders launch off of the ravens roost pulloff. will also always want some land in the neighborhood right about here to settle down and live out my days in: (38.0062769, -78.8929617)

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I never sought waffle house

waffle house found me
Yup, I agree - Waffle house saved my life. well kinda anyway.

Back in 93, wife#1 and I got caught in the blizzard-shit-show that was Georgia.
We were in Ft Lauderdale visiting my parents. Watched the super-storm-of the century or whatever they called it come come in over Tampa Bay - that is one lightening show that I will never forget or probably experience again. Scintillating daylight punctuated by moments of almost dark for a couple hours straight. No sleeping in that shit. Left the next day and made it just north of Atalanta. 75 closed, so try to find a hotel. Of course there are a couple of big events in town and no room at the inn. After checking too many places we got the last room at a joint south of Atlanta. Anyway, long story slightly shortened, All of the local places were either closed, or had run out of food, with the exception of Waffle House. We ate at that place every meal until they opened the hiway a couple days later.

Never been in one since, but on occasion I do get a craving for their Potato/Onion hash browns.

Biggest take-away for the whole experience?

Y'all don't have a clue about driving in the snow :rofl:

The best idiot-show though was on 75 watching a couple of good ol' boys flying past in their pickup, only to lose it and spin-out. I passed them as they got their shit together, and then we hit groundhog day. They did this a half a dozen times, until the last time he stuffed it front first into the concrete dividing berrier. They were ok, but the nice shiny pick-em up - not so much. :nope:

/cool story bro

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
"Waffle House Index" :rofl:

Whilst funny, in my limited experience, totally true. McD's made it to noon then shuttered. Others didn't even try. WH - business as usual.

They may not have the best rep, but it would have been a quite uncomfortable situation if they hadn't soldiered on.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I do not understand this whatsoever. America has incredible food, if you look beyond the strip. Why did you waste so many meal opportunities with fast food?
when I travel I look at every meal as a possible discovery.
you may, however, go to Popeye’s.
ill join you.
Oh don’t worry, I did the other end of the spectrum too. I spent a lot of time in the US and lived there fir a few years so it was a bit of everything. Notable favourites: Gotham Bar and Grill, NYC, Dahl and De Luca, Sedona, A noodle place on Height in SF whose name escapes me, An amazing sushi place in Portland called Nodagura that nearly bankrupted me and we had to book like before we were in the country, This place that did beer and some of the best hotwings I ever had in Colorado springs... Yes there is loads of good food too for sure.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Y'all don't have a clue about driving in the snow :rofl:
Atlanta, absolutely not. There were a few snowstorms when I was at georgia tech and it's astounding how incompetent that city is on slick roads. Anyone pulling out of their driveway in that shit is ignoring a gigantic flashing alarm when their tires start slipping, yet the whole town does it.....every single time.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Atlanta, absolutely not. There were a few snowstorms when I was at georgia tech and it's astounding how incompetent that city is on slick roads. Anyone pulling out of their driveway in that shit is ignoring a gigantic flashing alarm when their tires start slipping, yet the whole town does it.....every single time.
Even up here, half the population goes full retard for the week after the first snow. Ya think they would know better.
Slipping tires = Need more gas.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I go to DFW every 3 months for work. One year, there was an ice-storm when I got down there, everything encased in 2-4" of ice. Took me over 2 hours to thaw the car enough to make it safe to drive. When I had to get back the the airport, it was a total post-apocalyptic scene from my location to the airport (about 20 miles), there were no cars anywhere on the roads or freeways, like zombie-land. But there were broken cars and pieces of cars everywhere, a bumper here, a wheel there, some glass and plastic over there, etc. They have no way to get snow or ice off the road, so they just have to wait it out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Here 75% of people will drive 5 mph on the interstate with any sign of snow no matter actual road conditions and 10% of people will still try to drive 70. As a result itbisnoure anarchy no matter the actual road conditions. I do my best to just stay home to avoid the morons, not the conditions.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
STUDDED snows FTW around here. Really just for the four way intersections in town.
That's how I roll.

Was a bitch finding studdable snow-tires this year and I studded them by hand...but so worth it.

Also braking on impacted ice that we get here that builds up in said intersections. Braking on studded tires is something like 3x or more better than winter non-studded.

Someone did a comparo with a closed course and times, which wasn't all ice, but they did clear a little ice patch eventually for braking tests, way way better in braking. Little better at acceleration, cornering, etc., but that braking, that and being able to start at intersections/uphills is huge.